A head shaker

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Kevan h, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Hi all,thought I'd share this with you. Last night we were on Ben's walk, we ran into a couple out for a stroll,the woman stopped and ask me "what kind of dog is that?",now Ben and I are used to these kind of questions and I am quite eager to explain about cardi's and corgis in general,so I started to tell her that he is a corgi,her hubby chimed in with"no no no , he's definitely not a corgi,maybe some kinda mix , but definitely not a corgi", so I tried to explain (very pleasantly), that Ben was a cardigan corgi, but this fellow wouldn't let me continue,then he chimed in with,"I've seen real corgi's, they are red and white, they are born without a tail,Haven't you ever seen the Queen's dogs?",by this time I was kind of stunned,I just said that Ben was a cardigan from a breeder, registered with the ckc to which he said " you got ripped off, you should get your money back,corgis don't have tails, they are red and white not black and white" , at this point I opted to bid adieu and exchanged parting pleasantries assuring that I would look into this obvious foul up, as we left I looked down at Ben, I swear he looked at me , shook his head and sighed. As a p.s.at the time I was wearing a jacket that has "Canadian cardigan corgi club" emblazoned on it!

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I understand! When I got my first Pembroke, someone argued with me about him being a purebred and told me he had to be part German Shepherd and part dachshund.

Some people just don't want to listen and/or learn!

Maybe you should have told him to go look it up on the internet! He might have been shocked to learn Pems aren't always red and white and are not born tailless!

Peggy

3. Gally

Gally Senior Member

People have tried to tell me Gally is a dachshund crossed with a husky (because of his markings).

4. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Hi guys,you know in this fellows defense, there are not a lot of corgis around here,(which I cannot understand,) maybe he is just one of those people who feel they are never, cannot be ever, wrong. Going back to the lack of corgis here for a sec. Did you all see my pics of Ben and Rupert! When we saw Rupert it was amazing, I could not beleive we actually ran into another corgi! I am sure I posted them here.

5. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Peggy and Coral, there is a 14 yr. old labxcorgi that we run into regularly , wow, it is big but very low,very cute. Maybe they will let me take a pic.

6. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

And he's probably never seen a Cardigan before. Obviously he's only seen red and white Pembrokes.

I can understand that part, what I don't get is people who don't listen to the owners. Even a know it all can at times learn something new if they would only listen. :stand:

Peggy

7. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

I have never met someone as adamant about this Pembroke-Cardigan thing or what is or isn't a proper Corgi. But I do believe that Pembroke Corgis should have a new name and not with Corgi in it so that the two breeds can prosper with their own completely separate titles and therefore eliminate any conjecture and misunderstanding.
    The USA, bless them, has gone a teeny bit along this way as I think, being the only country to "officially" have Welsh Corgi (Pembroke) and Welsh Corgi (Cardigan) expressed as Pembroke Corgi and Cardigan Corgi (maybe also with the "Welsh" added in).

So under my scheme there is the Cardigan Welsh Corgi and there is the Pembroke Dwarf Dog.

The Cardigan has right of traditional name because it goes back in history maybe a 1000 years longer than the Pem.

8. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

New name for Pems? Consider also Pembroke Spitz

9. Jane Austen

Jane Austen Senior Member

No Michael. Duchess was a corgi thru and thru. I agree the name can cause a mix up but there are different kinds of Spaniels and Hounds. I don't like the name Dwarf. They may be dwarf but so are Dachshund and other breeds. I had a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. The name is dear to my heart. June

10. Cardiguy

Cardiguy Senior Member

Nothing needs to be changed. There are 2 corgi breeds-the Pembroke Welsh corgi and the Cardigan Welsh corgi just like there are different Spaniel breeds-like the Springer Spaniel, the Clumber Spaniel, etc....

11. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Changing from Welsh Corgi, (Pem or Cardi) has not helped as both have corgi in it.

Changing the name of the Pembroke would not really help either, because it is the more common of the two breeds, although, yes, younger.

Most people when they think of "corgi" they think of Pembrokes. Some do not even know about Cardigans.

Some don't even know about corgis, which is why they argue with us.

I think Pems have too long been known as corgis to change things now. Due to the Queen and the popularity of Pems in the US and other places, I think the name has stuck. We'll just have to keep trying to educate people. And the ones that won't listen, well, too bad for them.

Peggy

12. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

Kevan , the fact that you had to argue with this guy who wouldn't believe that you would know your own dog's breed is so silly.. what in the world is wrong with people? I would have been really irritated.. not only was the guy ignorant to what a Cardigan was .. but he clearly didn't even have correct facts about pembrokes... what a dope.

Now as for changing the name of either corgi breed, why would we? so they can add to more confusion down the road - Prime example.. do you all remember the Jack Russell Terrier? Well then they split the breed and they had the Parson Russell terrier.. and the Russell terrier.. they dropped the Jack... what the heck? now there are two breeds that no one but those who own/breed them can figure out.

I agree with the point about different spaniels all still having "spaniel" in their name rather than naming them all different things completely. The ignorant folks will still argue- ask any flat coated retriever owner... they get told their dogs are mixed breed dogs all the time ( lab/ golden retriever mix ,etc)

Emilie

13. Cheetah

Cheetah Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Why should the breeds be renamed because of people being ignorant? Maybe they should actually get smart and do some research rather than us having to dumb down the names for them.

14. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

So a little update,Benson and I were out tonight and we ran into this couple again.As they were approaching I noticed the wife getting quite,ummm,animated.anyway they came up to us, and with the wife doing an arms crossed,stab you in the eye cold stare, hubby apologized to me,apparently the wife was somewhat embarrassed by her husbands remarks,when they got home she went on the world wide web of misinformation and discovered that there are indeed two types of corgi,after apologizing to me he looked at his wife and said"does this mean I can get some supper now"this got us all laughing,I informed him he actually should apologize to Ben, he ended up giving Ben belly rubs for about 5min.the wife explained that hubby has a superiority complex, which got us all laughing again.apology accepted and Benson has two new friends.

15. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

It's not the USA in general, but the AKC and officially for the AKC it is "Cardigan Welsh Corgi" and Pembroke Welsh Corgi"

Peggy

16. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Oh my!! LOL!! Well, that turned out ok and the guy learned something and Ben got new friends!

Peggy

17. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

I just checked the ckc website and it is still "welsh corgi (cardigan)" and "welsh corgi( pembroke ),I know our club is trying to get it changed to cardigan welsh corgi etc. it probably would be easier

18. Cheetah

Cheetah Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hey That's great! I love when things get resolved and there's a happy ending. =) It's great that she went and did some research.

19. TheChubbyOne

TheChubbyOne Senior Member

The couple finally googled it... You and Ben have educated 2 more people on the Cardigan :)

20. Mynya

Mynya Member

2 down. 300 million to go... Ok it's not that bad but it's amazing, people have already asked me if Raife is a pomeranian mix.... I've had him all of 8 hours haha. On the upside two people have correctly identified him as "some kind of fluffy corgi". Close enough for petco. :) btw I am so in love... corgis for life!