A head shaker

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Kevan h, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Hi mynya, how is that little Raife? So cute!!

2. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

I am proud that me and Ben managed to educate one more person about our wonderful little companions,,Benson is a proud ambassador of his breed,I sure wish there were more Corgis in this area!!

3. Jane Austen

Jane Austen Senior Member

Do you really know there aren't more corgis where you live? You may be surprised
    Not everyone walks their corgis down the street. They may think playing in the back yard is enough.
    June

4. HappyPenny

HappyPenny Senior Member

You are probably right. I have never seen a single corgi in Russia apart from my own. But every time we go out people keep telling me that they have one just like him at home, but with a docked tail =)

5. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Yes June I agree, there are probably many corgis out there, I know the breeder I got Ben from has homed a few in the area,there are other breeders around here too, I guess I mean that I would like to see more out and about,we so rarely see another one. I have tried a site that helps you organize meetups, but I've gotten nothing back on a corgi meetup.in 2010 we had the specialty here(the cccc) there were a lot of cardi's in town that weekend!

6. Mynya

Mynya Member

He's doing really well. We discovered as soon as we got home that he has a real set of lungs on him! He has a very loud bark, so we are working on not doing that in the house. The cats haven't gotten used to him yet but he just wants to play with them, so they should come around. I'll be adding pics to his album every few days so please feel free to check them out. =P He has not had an accident in his crate yet, but then again we take him out every hour or so. He let us sleep for 5 hours this morning which was awesome, and I was very grateful.

7. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

It will take him some time for the cats and Raife to get used to each other..My Corgis wont hurt my cats but they still want to chase them.. mostly Dillon- Gus is actually very sweet and gentle with the cats and will just quietly lay down next to them. The cats have their own room so they have a "safe zone" where no one can bother them... there is a baby gate they can get over but the dogs cannot.. I also gave them their own room with their cat box, food and water, their cat tree and beds so that the dogs cannot get into the cat box or their food. The last thing i wanted to deal with is dogs eating "cat treats" out of the litter box..ewww...

Emilie

8. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Emilie's post reminded me of a couple of cautions.

Cat food - cat food is richer than dog food and higher in protein. Dogs love it, but it can give them diarrhea and if eaten on a regular basis can make them fat. So make sure the cat food is where the dogs can't get to it.

Litter boxes - besides tghe "ewww" factor, clumping litter can bock intestines, so if you use clumping litter be sure to keep your dogs away from litter boxes.

Either put litter boxes in a room with a baby gate or if you can't do that put the litter box inside an exercise pen. Do something to keep the dog out of it. No amount of training will keep a dog out, they will sneak in when you're not looking or not home!

Peggy

9. Mynya

Mynya Member

First thing we did was set up a baby gate blocking Raife from being able to get to the litter box. We might need another to keep him out of our bedroom unless he is in his crate, but we'll see.

10. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

How silly to think otherwise: It is the USA in general who has adopted the name Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Caridgan Welsh Corgi because the country obviously takes its cue from their recognised national organisation for dogs, pure bred breeding, standards etc.

June may not like the word "dwarf" in reference to Corgis but of course that is part of the meaning of Corgi only in a different language. We could therefore have "dwarf" (say) in the Norwegian or Swedish language which would also have some relevance because of the Viking connection (re Swedish Valhunds)

11. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

The AKC is not the only kennel club that puts on shows. There is the UKC also.

And the AKC got the names from GB, they didn't come up with those on their own. That's what they were called when the dogs were imported and people wanted to begin showing them. The names come from way before the AKC or the US got involved in anything to do with corgis.

But how silly of me for not mentioning that in the first place.

Peggy

12. Michael Romanos

So you are saying, Peggy that the lesser UKC deals also with standards and recognised dog breeds and that they have a different official name to Corgis in the USA than that of the AKC?
    I don't think so.

Great Britain and most of, or all the countries of the world APART FROM THE USA, these are the official recognised names: Welsh Corgi (Pembroke), Welsh Corgi (Cardigan). I know this because a few years ago I submitted to change the names of Corgis to match the names they are recognised in the USA and the response was that the USA was the only country that had adopted that form of names for Corgis and this wasn't sufficient reason to change what Corgis are known in Wales and the rest of Britain, Australia, in maiinland Europe etc.

13. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I didn't say that. All I said was the AKC is not the only kennel club in the US and not the only one that puts on shows.

The UKC site says PWC and CWC. I do not know that they ever had it any other way. I didn't in any way imply that any other club had a different name.

You made it sound like the AKC made up the names and they did not. The breeds came with the breed names when they came here. They put the "Welsh Corgi" first because at one time they were thought to be varieties of the same breed. They were at one time bred together, if you'll recall.

However, as time went on they were recognized at two separate breeds. I don't know if Great Britain did that first or the AKC but the AKC did not change the way the breeds were known or recorded in their records, leaving the Pembroke and Cardigan in () and after the Welsh Corgi.

I don't know why the AKC changed the names, but I got the impression it was to supposedly, help to make a distinction between the breeds. IMO, it doesn't help do that because the general public doesn't read dog show catalogs and if corgi is in the name they get them mixed up.

It was only with Welsh Corgi first in the catalogs and official AKC entries, etc. The parent clubs in the US have always been the Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club of America and the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America.

Breeders have always referred to the dogs as Pembroke Welsh Corgis and Cardigan Welsh Corgis.

Anyone I've talked to in any other country of the world has also referred to the breeds that way too.

I'm not sure where this is going but I think it's been beat to death. And I'm sure everyone else got what I was and am saying.

Peggy

14. Michael Romanos

Peggy you have got lost in translatlion. You argue when no argument exists. You could take another break or you could agree with the obvious: that the USA has a slightly different name for Corgis than other countries including Great Britain (where they come from) and that in every other country with a sizeable Corgi presence, they are known as Welsh Corgis in the first instance, whereas in the USA the first instance of their names is either Pembroke Welsh Corgis or Cardigan Welsh Corgis. That is what I had attempted to change here and will do so again - though I like the idea of completely different names and one of the reasons is that some world authorities on Corgis say that they are completely separate breeds and unmixed for many centuries though I dispute this myself.
    We could do with less confusion and give Cardigan Corgis a fairer go so that they are not "lumped' in as a sub breed to that of Pems.

15. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Really? I don't need a break right now. But you'll keep trying anyway...

The USA as a country (meaning the general population and corgi fanciers) has always known them as Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Cardigan Welsh Corgi.

The AKC for a time used Welsh Corgi, (Pembroke or Cardigan). THAT was my point. It's an AKC thing to have changed to how everyone else in the USA already knew the breeds by.

Officially on kennel club records they might have the Welsh Corgi part first, but people don't refer to them that way when they speak of the breeds. At least the people I've talked with don't. No one's every said "Welsh Corgi, Pembroke or Cardigan when speaking or writing (as in a forum or list) about the breeds. If they've wanted to talk about one of the breeds specifically they've said Cardi, Cardigan Welsh Corgi, Pembroke, Pem, Pemmie, or Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

All I can say is good luck. I doubt it's going to happen. They've been known by these names for too long.

Any history I've read of the breeds has also stated that at one time they were bred together. Not for long though. So yes, like you I would dispute that theory.

I think the reason the breeds get confused is due to people (meaning the general public) don't really know about Cardigans. They learn to tell the different retriever breeds, spaniel breeds, hound breeds, etc. If they really want to they can learn to tell the two corgi breeds apart too. It's the wanting to that's the hard part. Most people (again general public not corgi fanciers) don't really care to learn that much.

Enough about that, this thread's been hijacked enough!

Peggy

16. Tesrey

Tesrey Senior Member

I vote for Michael taking a break myself.

I have read many things written by Peggy and have great respect for her opinions. Good to see her back.....

17. Michael Romanos

All dog breeds have nicknames associated with them and there is almost always a shortening of their breed name. I would say that when people and members on Go Corgi talk about "Corgis" as I do, they generally or usually or always mean Pembroke Corgis. So when someone references Corgis and actually means Cardigans they should say in the first instance "Cardigan Corgi/s". This is one good reason for some kind of name change. If I had a Sealyham Terrier I would not just be talking Terrier as if one kind of Terrier was the same or even similar as another in the grouping.

18. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

oh Troy, if i could have liked your comment 10 times, i would have.

When people talk about cocker spaniels.. are they talking about the ENGLISH cocker or the AMERICAN cocker? hmmm what a predicament.. maybe we should call one the cocker spaniel and the other can be re-named to something completely different, like the fuzzy-eared cutie pie.. that way no one gets confused... .. and while we are at it, lets change the welsh springer spaniel and the english springer spaniels names as well, since it could cause confusion...

your arguement for name changes for the two distinct breeds of corgi are just silly..

Emilie

19. HappyPenny

HappyPenny Senior Member

I think that while we are at it we should also petition to rename Wellington into something different so that no one confuses the place for a rubber boot. No need to educate people, it's just easier to rename things.

20. Michael Romanos

Wellington boots are quite smart gumboots I always thought but there are 27 Wellingtons as a place name in the world so you need to say Wellington, New Zealand if that is what you are referring to.

I am quite happy to keep Pembroke Corgis as Corgis though I would also accept a new name but it must be appropriate. I note that there is a breed of dog with Terrier in its name that isn't actually of the Terrier group. There have been many many name changes to dog breeds over the centuries so it would be nothing unusual to rename one of the Corgi breeds so that they stand alone as two breeds.