A head shaker

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Kevan h, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Would that be the Boston Terrier or the Tibetan Terrier? Or maybe the Yorkshire Terrier or the Silky Terrier? None of them are in the Terrier group.

" ... that which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet..."

Peggy

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Thanks to kevan for bringing up this subject because it is a good one. A change of name for one of the two Corgi breeds would obviously help especially with the banning of docking tails in a number of countries with more countries set to join the ban. This only goes to make Pems infinitely more like Cardis so that the differences become more obscure to a vast majority of people..

3. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

And what would happen to "Go Corgi"? If there's only one corgi breed, would some members would no longer be welcome?

Just askin'

Peggy

4. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Kevan didn't bring this up. He was sharing a cute story about walking Ben and how his walk turned into an educational experience about corgis. You (MR) hijacked it and turned it into a name change hot mess.

5. Jane Austen

Jane Austen Senior Member

With all due respect it is a thread starting with a true story that had to do with the breed of corgi. I loved the story, and it did get sidetracked, but not to be mean. Let Michael have his opinion like everyone else.
    I certainly don't always agree with him. Probably not as often as he thinks I do. Sorry Michael, Any opinion that leads to discussions has a place on this website. June

6. Michael Romanos

kevan did bring this subject up whether directly or inadvertently. Many people are confused and even resort to harranging, arguing or disputing when they see a kind of Corgi who doesn't entirely fit their perception of a pure-bred Corgi. The breed name or title forms a large part of this deceptiveness.

7. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

Sometimes people would like to share a little story about their four footed friends... without the thread being hijacked and twisted around into an ugly arguement.

Other people's ignorance about my dog's breed is not a reason for me to go re-naming my dog's breed.. It is really THEIR problem if they do not believe that my pet is a pure bred dog.. If their perception of the corgi is that it is a red and white tailess dog, then what difference would it be to rename anything? Them not realizing that there were two breeds of corgi was not the ONLY problem here... they were ignorant to the fact that the PEMBROKES come in other colors besides red and white.. and that most pems are born WITH tails.. sooo again, what would re-naming the breed have anything to do with this story , these people or anything?

Emilie

8. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Boy this story of mine sure morphed,some interesting points and counterpoints, just to clarify I did not suggest name changes other than the one I mentioned earlier,Benson says he is tired of being confused by all the humans named "dad" so he is changing my name to
    Rhoddwr o fwyd,( welsh for "giver of food")

9. Michael Romanos

It is fair game to build on a thread in a diverse manner. Everyone here does it in one way or another. Where it degenerates sometimes is when you get people who cannot get their heads around a subject causing them some form of mental anguish.

Kevan - no need to say "dad" just point and smile. I am pointing far more often for Taylor's benefit and everytime he knows exactly what I mean and what he has to do and where he is meant to go. I think agility training has had a lot to do with it.

By the way 'dwarf' as in Corgi are dverg and dvarg in Swedish and Norweigan languages. so let's all say: d(v)arg dog. It either has a ring to it or it is too sexy.

10. HuskerSMJ

HuskerSMJ Senior Member

Good Lord....NO! It has neither a "ring" or is too sexy.

11. Dillydoodle

let's not .

Emilie

12. Michael Romanos

Well,if you lived where it seems part of the Pem emerged from, you might very well ask if you see a Pem or Cardi: Is that a dvarg dog?

13. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Okay, we all love corgis!

14. Loki

Loki Junior Member

If only he knew how ignorant he made himself out to be. How embarrassing.

15. Michael Romanos

It was meant to be over-the-top this dvarg thing, but it would be magnanimous of some people to accept that a name change would deter some confusion and conjecture.

16. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

I know here , I would simply like the ckc to refer to them as cardigan welsh or pembroke welsh, I think it would help non corgi people see there is a difference of breed.

17. Michael Romanos

Kevan - you are a little bit of enLIGHTment in a dim world. Why not even cut out "Welsh". But, (a little cry here) I like "Corgi" - but I am willing to give it to you Cardigan people because your breed came first.

18. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Michael , I think cardigan welsh and pembroke welsh is fine (both corgis of course),I really don't think the confusion is in the name, I think it's in the lack of knowledge or exposure about the cardigan breed. Pretty much everyone has seen a pembroke, the queens dog,the popularity of the breed,people have them in apartments,then now ads for mini corgis(hope that ain't true),I just love my cardi, my Ben is a robust 39lb. barky, loves to run,makes my life so rich, little dog, to ME he exemplifies the man dog relationship.

19. Dillydoodle

ahhh a play on words.. how clever..

Nice the moderator is calling the rest of the forum members DIM... classy, real classy...

Emilie

20. Michael Romanos

Emilie -If the glove fits - wear it. Nobody is calling everyone dim just the world itself.