BARF Chicken Bones for White Teeth

Discussion in 'BARF' started by MyPemCharlie, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Yup, you're right on that.

I think you'll be pleased. I know the year we fed turkey necks just twice a week we had nice white teeth. We should get back into that but just haven't yet.

Peggy

2. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I missed this the first time around. Is Desta's molar broken? Blood on the toothbrush was my indicator that what had started out as a cracked tooth had broken down to the pulp.

3. MyPemCharlie

MyPemCharlie Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Her back tooth appears whole, the few times she's let me look for a split second. She doesn't seem accustomed to having anyone look in her mouth, so it's a bit of a struggle. The back two molars are just really brown, so I think she might have the start of some gingivitis or other gum irritation, plus tartar/plaque/scale. I'm hoping to get her teeth in shape so maybe she won't have to lose any at such a young age.

4. MyPemCharlie

One of the grocery stores had chicken breast halves with the bone on sale this week for $1.00/pound. So yesterday, I had baked chicken and the dogs got the uncooked rib and breast bones with a bit of the meat I left on. Charlie couldn't figure it out very well, and Desta stole most of his dinner without him complaining. LOL So he got a bit of kibble once the chicken disappeared.

Today I gave them their normal kibble dinner 30 minutes ago, and went to check on them a few minutes ago (and wander around with the poop scoop). Desta was nibbling on something that I susprcted was her poo, and Charlie was nosing the grass several feet away. It was another baby bluebird (Charlie caught two in one day a few months back) and Desta was munching on part of it with the tail feathers hanging out her mouth. Charlie still thinks raw meat is kind of just a weird smelly toy, so he was just rolling the rest of the remains with his nose and not eating. Yech!

Guess the dogs unintentionally got a BARF meal two days in a row. I feel much better about the USDA chicken now, considering the alternatives....

5. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I'm with you on that! Tell them wild caught is not the idea. ;)

Peggy

6. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Do you have to transition gradually to the turkey necks to avoid digestive upset? The last 2 times I gave Pip a raw meat beef bone, and let him chew them up, until he was finished, he got sick. If I take them away after about 20 minutes, he's ok.
    People up here go out of their way (some times it takes a couple of years) trying to attract bluebirds to their yards and it seems you've got them everywhere!

7. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Turkey necks are not something you give a dog to chew on, you give one as dinner. They eat the whole thing.

I've not had any digestive upsets with them. The raw meat beef bone, did it have morrow in it? If so that could be the problem.

And no I did not transistion slowly. Brought the necks home and handed them out at dinner time. No kibble that day, just a turkey neck. They love them.

Peggy

8. MyPemCharlie

I have been adding a little meat, veggies, oils or other scent enticers to their Canidae the last month since this bag of kibble didn't "smell good" on its own. Having no loose stools from adding something different everyday made me feel comfortable just giving them the chicken breast instead of one meal that day. Charlie didn't get much of it, since Desta stole most of his, but neither dog got sick and both had healthy poops the next day. If either dog had shown a propensity to a sensitive tummy, I might have decided against the raw meat.

To Peggy's comment, I have heard that marrow bones are very rich and cause some loose poop or vomiting.

I hope enough bluejays survive my dogs' attacks to keep coming back (just don't bring the babies in my yard)! But yes, we have a lot of birds here: bluejays, red birds, mockingbirds, doves, grackles (nuisance) and several other species that I don't know what they are.

9. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Yes, they did. He did not eat all of the marrow, only what he could get from the ends. Now, I take them away after 20-30 minutes and no problems. His bottom tooth underneath where a top molar was pulled is kind of grungy and I thought maybe giving him the turkey necks (if I can find them) to eat and get back in there and might help clean it up. Brushing and dental wipes don't seem to make a difference. The rest of his teeth are very good, so says the vet. He can't have chicken, so it would have to be turkey necks.
    Ah, bluejays, yes, I have a bunch of those too! I misunderstood, I thought you ment the blue and orange bluebirds.

10. MyPemCharlie

I was in Pet Supplies Plus over the weekend and they had a freezer in the back with raw turkey necks, meaty bones and other frozen raw foods. A package of two turkey necks was 3 or 4 dollars though. I told the store employee that I was headed up to the "people food store" next to get chicken breasts with bones on sale for $1.00/pound. If you don't want to pay and arm and a leg for a neck (haha), you might see if their is a raw food coop in your city where you can join others who buy necks backs and carcasses in bulk at wholesale. Or maybe try a local meat market.

11. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

You're too funny! Those are good suggestions. I think someone else (maybe Peggy?) mentioned a processor. If all else fails I can take a cooler and try the Amish, they have pretty much everything, along these lines. My life would be so much easier, if I could use chicken-but Mr. Pip is worth the effort!:)

12. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I suspect the marrow was the problem. Next time try a knuckle bone (joint). They don't have the marrow they can reach from the ends.

Should work!

Why can't he have chicken?

We get the turkey necks from a meat supplier. They supply resturants, etc. Little call for turkey necks so you can get them pretty cheap.

Peggy

13. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I
    I haven't been able to find any. In my area, I've only found 1 store that carries fresh marrow bones all of the time, granted, I haven't looked outside of grocery stores. My sister called around up home and found one place that sells knuckle bones. Next time I visit, I'll take an ice chest and get some. I gather since you recomend freezing the turkey necks, that freezing doesn't hurt/change the bone structure?
    Pip's allergic to chicken, chicken fat (Lucky me!:dry:), and wheat.

14. MyPemCharlie

Try an internet search to look up your area Farmers Markets (or even just turkey farms). A lot of vendors sell fresh, free-range and other organic meats. You might find some contacts from the online vendor lists that you can call.

I recently contacted a few area goat farmers I found on the Farmers Market lists trying to find some live kefir grains to ferment my own kefir (natural probiotics). Took me over a week of searching, calling, and emailing but yesterday I was finally put in touch with a local guy who has extra kefir grains...and he's right in my neighborhood! Nothing like success just when you're about ready to give up on something!

I did notice a few vendors who regularly sell beef "soup bones" at our farmers market.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, you may be able to get on a call list to get all the turkey necks you can use for several months. Freezing won't hurt the bone. I read during my BARF readings that lots of people don't even defrost them before giving them to the dog. Mmmm....turkey necksicle.

15. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

:lol: I'm going to let my fingers do the walking Sat. There is a poultry processor oon one of my routes to work, but it's out of business.

16. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Okay, I'm seriously thinking about giving Duncan and Chloe some chicken wings for their teeth. Granted, I'm still leery.....so, how many do I give them for a feeding; one or two?

17. MyPemCharlie

I don't think there's any exact science on how many to feed, especially if you are only wanting to substitute RMB (raw meaty bones) for one meal once or twice a week. But the folks who feed BARF daily recommend feeding 2-3% of the dog's weight per day in raw foods. So...if Duncan and Chloe each weigh 30 pounds (for instance) then you have two 480 ounce dogs (30 pounds x 16 ounces per pound) times 2.5% is 12ounces of RMB per dog for the whole day. Half that for just one meal substitution is 6 ounces for one dog, or 12 ounces for both dogs. That's 3/4 pound of chicken wings between both dogs for one meal.

I have a kitchen scale and Desta needed 2.5 ounces for one meal and Charlie 4.5 ounces for the same. With the chicken breast, I cut off most of the meat (for myself) then weighed the bone and added more of the chicken skin and meat until I was at 7 ounces. Then I just eyeballed 1/3rd for Desta and 2/3rd for Charlie. All that work for Desta to steal most of Charlie's chicken! Probably a good idea to feed them separately. LOL

18. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

I WISH Duncan and Chloe only weighed 30 pounds. Although, Chloe has lost 4 pounds since her checkup in July. I haven't weighed Duncan to see if he has lost any weight. But, I'll use your figuring Chris, too much brain work for me to mess with....LOL!

19. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I have even given frozen bones (bonescicles) in the summer. And have fed turkey necks half frozen too. Cooking changes them, makes them harder and they will splinter. Freezing just makes them cold. LOL!

Sorry he's allergic to chicken fat. That makes things tough. And adding wheat in too! Boy I'll bet you read lables!

Peggy

20. MyPemCharlie

That is a lot of calculating just for clean dogs' teeth. :)

I was at Walmart today and checked the meat department. They actually had packages of chicken necks for 68 cents/pound (the chicken wings were about 2.49/lb). The 'advanced' math (LOL) worked out to two necks for Charlie and one for Desta.

Tomorrow morning I'm meeting a guy who has some kefir grains to spare, so I can have homemade kefir. I'm planning to give the dogs a little goat's milk kefir on "bone days" two days a week, mainly with the idea of increasing the good bacteria and minimizing any bad stuff.