BARF Chicken Bones for White Teeth

Discussion in 'BARF' started by MyPemCharlie, Jul 25, 2008.

1. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I'm sorry, too! :laughing: Wheat is not so bad. Chicken is harder, but do-able. Chicken fat? Forget it! This is the reason why I had no choice in trying to learn about dog food. Funny thing is, alot of people told me as long as it wasn't in the first 5-10 ingredients it would be ok, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess every dog is different.
    Did Charlie get to eats his this time?

2. MyPemCharlie

MyPemCharlie Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Tomorrow's "bone day", so we'll see if I can keep Desta from stealing Charlie's chicken necks. I started this whole thing for her teeth anyway. Charlie hasn't quite figured out that raw chicken is food, so if Desta takes his, I pour him some kibble instead.

I did sign up for a Yahoo group yesterday that is a local raw-food coop. Today I was going through the price lists and looks like the chicken is as low as 19 cents/lb (for backs), turkey necks at 59 cents, and I may get some beef, lamb and poultry organ meat to make dried liver treats (or kidney, heart, whatever). The organ meats are really inexpensive too...might as well make some healthy treats!

Hopefully you'll be able to find some turkey this weekend!

3. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I'm going to call around this weekend and see where it's available. Like Louwants, I'm leery and still need to get myself over the ICK factor!:eek: I was in Pet Supplies Plus, and as you said they had turkey necks for just under 3 bucks. They also had some raw knuckle bones for $6.51. My sister said knucle bones are .89 lb at a meat processor, up there, so I think I'll take an ice chest next time I vist and stock up.

You'll have to let us know if Charlie figures out what the raw chicken is for. I once had a corgi who would have nothing to do with raw knuckle bones.

4. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I totally understand. I had one who would get hot spots if she ate any meat based kibble. Didn't matter what kind of meat, if she ate it she got hot spots. It took us awhile to figure this out. I stumbled on Nature's Recipe Vegetarian and she did terriffic on that. At it for 10 of her 14 years and no hot spots.

Raw bones to chew on didn't bother her. I don't know if turkey necks or chicken parts would have as I didn't try them till after she was gone.

Peggy

5. MyPemCharlie

I had the ick factor too until I read a lot about raw feeding. Still those first raw pieces.....ick. Seeing the dog's interest though got me over it. Charlie at least got in a few licks before Desta scarfed hers down and then swiped Charlie's.

One thing to be aware of if you feed indoors. I feed the dogs outside on the patio and they both take chicken out of the bowl and run out into the grass. If you feed inside, make sure the chicken doesn't get carried off an easy-to-disinfect solid floor onto carpet or worse...the furniture. Talk about ick!!!

6. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Same here. ;) :paw:

Peggy

7. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

That had to be the worst! As frustrated as I was trying to find something, I can only imagine what it would be like to have a dog that couldn't eat any meat. On the bright side, so much more is becoming available now!
    Once I find the guts to do it, my choice for Pip's dining pleasure is his crate. I thought about the balcony, but dismissed it because of:
    A. Cold weather during the winter and, more importantly,
    B. An elderly gentleman lives downstairs and likes to sit out on his patio to read and I don't want any of the treat (or it's cooties) dripping down on him!:eek:
    I've decided that when the time comes, the best option is to take his bedding out and put him in his crate. Saves the carpet, furniture, and I won't have to watch him eat it, but can kind of peek in without really seeing it, to make sure all is going well. When all's done, I can wash and disinfect the crate.

8. MyPemCharlie

Feeding Pip in his crate is a good idea to keep him from roaming with his dinner and it will be easy to spray with disinfectant. As for dribbling on the downstairs neighbor, really Ick! :)

Charlie got to eat his chicken necks this morning, leisurely the way they're supposed to...leisurely chew. I distracted Desta by holding her chicken neck and having her practice sit and down while Charlie ate. I was trying to hold onto Desta's chicken to try to get her to chew instead of gulp, but she slipped the neck out of my fingers with one tug....and swallowed it whole. Hmmm....that won't clean her teeth now will it? From what I understand, dogs' stomach acid is strong enough to digest small bones like poultry necks, so I guess we'll test that theory and see what comes out the other end.

Next time Desta is getting a chicken necksicle....maybe if it's frozen it will slow her down. Or maybe not.

9. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

:yes: Pip likes to eat his treats on the carpet. And, I learned the hard way (with a strawberry and little read spots every where!) that he likes to roam with the REALLY special ones!
    I found more places than I thought I would, that sell raw parts. Apparently they're very popular and often sell out. Must be a lot of raw feeders in the area!
    I've also heard/read this many times, but with Pip's sensitive stomach, I'm still concerned about how it's going to "come out" and if he will have digestive upset. However, I trust the opinions and experiences of the gocorgi members who have fed raw and am willing to try it, at least once, based on their recommendations.

10. Spitfire IX

Spitfire IX Senior Member

I like to give Riley his necks when they are just a tad frozen. He always chews them up; but he is very quick about it.

When I give him a chicken back, I usually split it for him.

Dave

11. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Try turkey necks, they're bigger and I find a really good size for a corgi to chew. Depending on the dog, one turkey neck can be dinner. (A couple times a week and then kibble the other days.)

I don't split the backs, I just let them have them the way they are. I do prefer that wings and necks be slightly frozen too, as it does make them chew them more.

Peggy