Beginner brushes

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by ringo16, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ringo16

ringo16 Junior Member

I am getting a corgi in about 2 weeks.
    I was wondering what style brush would you recommend to daily use and how each work.

Picture link would help as well. Thanks!

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Don't get a brush or brush/comb combo that is too harsh - Corgis have coats that are on the softer side of the spectrum.

I use a double sided brush and comb - the brush has a side with soft bristles for "polishing off" while the other side has wire bristles set wide apart and are not taught - this is the best instrument for getting off loose hairs. The comb has a wide teeth side and a narrow teeth side and i use them in tandem with the brushing.

Had a group walk with lots of Corgis last Sunday and the best coat conditioned and smartest looking Corgis were those that get groomed every day or every other day - my Taylor falls into the latter. Done regularly, grooming should be only a four minute job per session.

3. skpharlow

skpharlow Junior Member

-Could you tell me the brand or name of the brush/comb you use on Taylor? We are getting a Corgi in May and I am new to the grooming world. I'm afraid I will buy the wrong brush if I am picturing something else than what you are describing. So actual name/brand would be very helpful! Thanks!!:wiggle:

4. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I use a pin brush, a slicker brush and a comb.

Corgis have double coats. A soft undercoat and a harsh outer coat. A bristle brush does no good on a corgi that's over 3 mos. old. It barely skims the surface and does not get any dead hair out.

I start with a bristle brush on a tiny puppy, at about 3 weeks of age, to get them used to brushing. By the time they are old enough to go to their new homes, I'm using a slicker brush on them.

Here are some links:

PSI Pin Brushes - Cherrybrook

Comfy Care Ergonomic Slickers - Cherrybrook

Safari 4.5 inch Comb MEDIUM-FINE - Cherrybrook

This site has many more combs and brushes available. And similar types can be found at your local pet supply stores. The links provided are only to show examples of the types I mentioned.

Peggy

5. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I use the same assortment Peggy posted the links to. I do also have finishing brushes (the boar bristle as Peggy mentioned) and a flea comb. If you can only buy one right now, I'd recommend the slicker brush.

Since you're looking for brands, this is the slicker brush I've had for about 20 years now. Franks Universal Slickers - Cherrybrook

I also splurged on a couple of Chris Christensen brushes which are excellent, but VERY expensive and I see even more so now!!. One thing you will find is good quality (not necessarily the most expensive) grooming tools will last almost forever, so I always try to buy the best quality I can. Even if you buy one piece at a time, you will eventually grow a collection. :lol:

I love Cherrybrook! I've bought many things from them. All the items have all been good quality, quick delivery, and great service! I second Peggy's advise to look around and see what you like.

6. Teach331

Teach331 Junior Member

Just curious, I have 2 cats, (one is standard short hair, and the other is long haired) The "slicker brush" linked above looks identical to the "cat brush" I purchased years ago for my cats. Just wondering, is there a difference in "cat brush" and "dog brush", and would it be recommended/safe to use the same brush for my corgi?? (My maxwell is 3 1/2 months old, and the only brush
    I have purchased specifically for him was a bristle brush, which I know will not do any good once his puppy fur is gone.) I also already have a good metal comb that I bought with the intention of using for my long haired cat, but honestly, never really used it...the slicker brush seemed to do so much better for them.

7. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

A slicker brush is a slicker brush. No different for cats and dogs. I use the same grooming tools on my cats that I use on my dogs.

Go ahead and use the slicker brush you have on your corgi.

Peggy

8. skpharlow

skpharlow Junior Member

Thank you Peggy this was very helpful!! Just bought the slicker you recommended!

9. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

I also have basically the same assortment as Peggy and LaRogue...I actually don't use a slicker brush on my corgis, I use the greyhound combs.. I have two, a wide tooth and a medium on one comb and a medium and fine in the other. They do a good job of taking out the dead undercoat. I also have a boar bristle style brush, but that alone does very little to remove undercoat, it is really only a finishing tool.

I bought the furminator years ago thinking it might work well and it is not good on the corgi coats. I the used it on my cats and I don't care for it on them either. I now use it very infrequently on the cat only.

I have a zoom groom that I use on the corgis at bath time. I think it does a good job at getting hair loosened up and orking shampoo into the coat.

LaRogue, I also bought most of my grooming gear at cherry brook...they have a great selection. I always wanted a Chris Christensen brush but couldn't sell my husband on the prices...the one I got was half the price and works ok....still I sure would have loved to splurge on the fancy ones lol.

Emilie

10. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

The slicker in the picture Peggy posted does look like it has a is cushy and comfortable handle! Mine is plastic, and while it's not uncomfortable, I think the extra padding the one in the picture has would be nice!
    This is very true. I use mine for a quick brush in between groomings to get the loose surface hairs that pop up and to finish up after a full one. Pip does seem to like it best though. He acts like he is getting a massage when I brush him with it. :lol:
    Yes, Chris Christensen tools are sticker shock for sure. Even way more expensive now. I only bought mine, because I had some extra birthday money to spend one year. :lol: They are GREAT, though!

I definitely second a Zoom Groom for baths!

11. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Don't feel too bad about not getting a Chris Christensen brush. My friend, who has shelties and is a groomer bought one. She hated it and went back to her previous preferred brand. I used it a time or two when she had it and wasn't sold on it either. So, IMO, can't justify the price and don't think it's any better than the cheaper models. Personally I like the PSI oblong pin brush. (Keep in mind that I occasionally lose brushes and combs at shows. One being a brand new brush, lost it before the day was out and had to buy a new one. I do put my kennel name on them but so far none have ever been returned or turned into lost and found. So I tend to buy reasonably priced grooming tools, just in case they come up missing. ;) )

Peggy

12. Michael Romanos

I use and recommend the Masterpet brand of grooming equipment.

13. cherp

cherp Member

How often do you use each tool? What is your routine with each of these? Thanks in advance. :D

14. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Not as often as I should. ;)

If you brush your dog with the slicker brush every few days it will cut down on the shedding quite a bit. You can even "back brush with the slicker or the pin brush" and that will help get dead hair out and stimulate the skin and coat. (Back brushing is against the grain, against the way the hair grows.)

I use my comb when they are blowing coat. I start at the pants (rear of the dog), comb from the roots out and do the entire dog. I usually remove enough undercoat to make another corgi!! ;)

It doesn't matter which one you choose to use, use what works best for you and your dog.

Peggy

15. cherp

cherp Member

Thanks for the fast response. :)

Okay, so the slicker brush is the frequent maintenance brush, what about the pin brush?

What is blowing coat? Is that a time of heavy shedding? I remember my uncle's corgi would sometimes look like his coat was really puffy, I'm assuming this is a sign that she/he is blowing coat?

16. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Pin brushes can help but I find they are most useful for back brushing. I use my slicker brush and my come much more.

When tufts come out, the coat can come out in handfuls. Shedding
    This isn't the everyday shedding. This happens normally twice a year. Length of time depends on the dog, it's genetics. If you brush/comb more regularly, it's lessened. And bathing and blow drying with a forced air dryer (made for animals) will get most of the undercoat out. That's not as practical for everyone, unless they want to take the dog to the groomer. I have a forced air dryer since I show my guys. And it works great for getting coat out!

Peggy

17. Dillydoodle

Thanks for that Peggy... I always wonder what everyone else does. I tend to use the course tooth greyhound comb more than any other tool. I have a nice natural bristle pin brush combo not sure what it is called that I use after I finish combing and the zoom groom that I use only in the bathtub when I massage in the shampoo. I helps loosen the dead dog hairs and simulates the skin. I had a slicker brush a long time ago for my cats but never used it on the corgis, I just like how the greyhound comb works on their coat. I also bought a furminator and it is terrible on their coats. I hate it. I tried in on my cats since I figured I already spent a ton of money on it and I was going to find a good use for it...the cats hated it and I hated what it did to their coats so I just don't use it.

Emilie

18. Michael Romanos

A side of the brush I use in grooming Taylor - who has a fairly long coat- is pin-type and this is the most valuable side of my two sided brush and two sided comb.

Michael Romanos likes this

19. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Emilie,

Over the years I've tried many things that others said were great, a shedding blade, zoom groom, undercoat rake, and well, when it came to the furminator, I drew the line. I've always gone back to my trusty comb. (The shedding blade is who knows where, the zoom groom gets used in the bath, and the undercoat rake is great for getting hair off the carpet.)

Shoot donate the furminator to the CorgiAid auction. Someone else will buy it and CorgiAid will benefit! ;)

Peggy

20. Dillydoodle

Hey that is a great idea... I think I will donate it, I know I won't be inclined to use it. I also have a Shed blade that one of the German shepherd folks I met at class recommended and I found it messy and not that effective, nothing a good old greyhound comb can't handle.

By the way, I cracked up when you mentioned one of the dog grooming tools you have has been repurposed to remove dog hair from the rugs.. I have one for that too lol!

Emilie