Can corgi's have home cooked meal everyday?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Michtink02, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Michtink02

Michtink02 Senior Member

I have two questions.
    1. Can a corgi have a home cooked meal everyday without the dry food? or do they have to have the dry food to keep their poop hard right?

and
    2. Are the ingredients in this peanut butter cookie recipe okay for corgi's?

Vegetable oil
    Wheat flour
    Unbleached flour
    Water (no brainer of course)
    Old fashioned peanut butter no sugar added.

But isn't the salt in the peanut butter bad for the dogs? cuz on the thing it says peanut butter and salt.

Thank you!

2. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

You know, after the whole dog food fiasco a few years ago, I started home cooking. It did not go well.. It was a lot harder than it looks to get a really balanced diet for them.. I was supplimenting with bone meal and vitamins to make sure i covered all the bases.. it was not as easy as whipping up some chicken or beef and adding some veggies.. it was a lot of work .. time... and money and the boys never did digest the food correctly.. ( read: messy bums)

So i went back to a very high quality dry food and i mix in some wet ingredients to add to it ( canned pumpkin, organic low fat plain yogurt and a little grain free meat dog food -again , high quality company where ingredients/ manufacturing is done in USA - or Canada) Currently i am feeding a canadian brand food and they are doing well on it. (Orijen) but it is super expensive.. i have used Fromms ( A Wisconsin Co.) as well and have great results with that and i trust the manufacturer as well.

I know a few people who do feed raw and have good luck with it, but I didnt want to get into that since there is a lot of work to that and i have the squeemish "eww" factor.. i like to kiss my dogs a lot, and let them give me kisses and if i knew they were covered in raw food , well that would not happen..

As for ingredients, they all look fine, but i would try to find an all natural peanut butter without the salt. they really don't need the added sodium. I , personally,stay away from feeding my boys wheat... it doesnt seem to agree with them and i know a lot of dogs have allergies to wheat and corn.. so i just avoid them. They get the occasional treat of popcorn when i make it but aside from that, i do not really feed my guys treats that have any wheat, corn, soy, meat by product meals, artificial color or flavors and i try to limit sugars and salt .

The best treats are fruits! My guys love sharing apple ,banana, strawberries, blueberries or even occasional pieces of watermelon.. I do not give too many treats though, they really do gain weight easily.

I actually weigh mine every other week and adjust feeding accordingly to keep them within their proper weights.

Emilie

3. Westwood

Westwood Senior Member

They can eat a home cooked diet but you would really need to research a ton to make sure you are providing everything the dog needs. As Emilie said it's not as easy as just cooking up some chicken and throwing some veggies in the bowl for them. They need a balanced diet and you have to rotate all the foods to make sure they are getting the proper nutrition. Even then, there's no guarantee that your meals will agree with your dog's stomach.

I personally would never feed a puppy a home cooked diet because IF you were lacking something it could really impact their health down the road.

4. Michtink02

Michtink02 Senior Member

Okay thank you guys i just wanted to make sure. I mean i read that home food diet is good but you really have to keep things balanced and i'm not a stay home wife so there's no way haha. And also i think the lady says she throws in some kibbles too.
    But anywho on the treats yeah i guess i'm gonna have to look for another source of peanut butter. thank you Emilie and WEstwood. :)

5. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Yes, but I don't recommend it. As others have said it's hard, expensive, time consuming and you'd need to research to get a balanced diet.

You don't want the dog to have "hard" poop, but solid poop. Hard poop will be difficult to pass. It's not kibble that does that it's fiber.

First corgis are dogs, and if a recipe is ok for dogs in general it's ok for corgis.

To be honest, I've seen better recipies. Why two types of flour? Seems you could use all of one or the other.

There shouldn't be enough salt to cause a problem.

Peggy

6. Michtink02

Michtink02 Senior Member

Thank you Peggy. And i don't know why there are two types of flour haha i just got it from this lady online and she a beautiful corgi so i figured it'll be alright. :)

7. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Well, it sure won't hurt her, and it's only a treat.

Here are some sites with more information and recipes if you're interested:
    Dog Treat Recipes - Quick and Easy Recipes for Dog Treats
    Homemade Dog Treat Recipes!
    Dog Treat Recipes
    Easy Dog Treat Recipes

Some recipes (not sure about the above sites) will use baby foods, which is ok, but check the labels for onion powder. Onions are on the toxic list for dogs.

My dogs like homemade "frosty paws" in the summer:
    Frosty Paws Dog Ice Cream Recipe

I put them in mini cupcake pans and freeze them. Then pop them out and give them to the dogs. They love them!

Peggy

8. Michtink02

Michtink02 Senior Member

Awesome! thank you Peggy for those awesome recipes!

9. GrandmaA

GrandmaA Member

Wheat (whole wheat) is flour made from the whole kernel (germ, bran. and endosperm). Unbleached four is made only from the endosperm, though not bleached.

Wheat flour has significantly higher levels of protein, fiber, iron, calcium, and other minerals in comparison to white, however because of its higher fat content has a shorter shelf life (do not plan on storing more than a couple months and store in cool dry place in an air tight container) and is more difficult to cook with. If you decide to make the treat with 100% whole wheat you will need to add extra water and work the dough longer to get the gluten to develop (acts as the "glue" that binds the ingredients). The product will have a heavier, harder texture and please note that while whole grains can be part of a healthy dental routine (helps to keep tartar build up down) it can also cause significant wear on teeth so should probably not be used as a primary part of the diet.

10. Michtink02

Michtink02 Senior Member

oh of course i use the flour to make training treats. Because the store treats are bad for the dogs especially those soft ones they just have so much preservatives. So I decided to make my own. And usually i have to keep the training short because puppys attentionspan you know lol. Thank you grandmaA

11. burningskulls

burningskulls Member

There are plenty of healthy soft treats that are good for training. Don't be surprised if your dog is happy to take a hard cookie when doing nothing, but when you need to train your dog to come when you call him while he's outside rolling on a dead bug, he's not going to come back for a hard peanut butter cookie.

You can also train with cheese, lunch meat, liver snacks, hot dogs, etc. as long as you know how much they are getting. A small piece goes a long way when the dog values it. As far as training treats, a few you can look into that use natural preservatives are:

Zukes - Zuke's – Healthy, Natural Treats for Dogs & Treats for Cats - good size for training
    Wellness Wellbites or Pure Rewards (Grain free) - Wellness - Healthy Dog and Cat Food - soft and easy to break up
    Solid Gold Jerky Treats - Solid Gold Health Products for Pets - Home - easy to break up but get hard if you leave them out of the bag

I think you'll find that the general ranking of treats to be Cheese/Hot Dogs > Soft Dog Treats > Hard Dog Treats/Biscuits. You will need a better treat for more difficult training.

12. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

All store treats are not bad for dogs. There are quite a few out there that are quite good. The same companies that make good foods usually make treats and good ones!

Soft treats have sugar in them. That keeps them soft. There are some that are ok though - Bil Jac for instance.

Your puppy does not necessarily need soft treats. My puppies get biscuits at a fairly young age, say 5-6 weeks. And not the puppy ones but the same ones my other dogs get. Yes, it may take awhile to eat them but that keeps them busy!

Things like cheese and cheerios can be used as treats too. There really isn't any need for making your own unless you really want to.

I use Charlee Bears for everyday training treats.

Peggy

13. Dillydoodle

I agree about the soft treats. if you are looking at the grocery store soft treats like pupparoni and such, those are loaded with junk- tons of sugar and flour and just junk. however, there are some really good soft treats.. I agree about the wellness pure rewards, my boys LOVE those and they are very healthy. I also love the "wonder nuggets " mighty mutts " or "power-B's"

You can find these and other really good healthy greats on the clean run site
    Dog Toys, Dog Treats, Dog Agility Supplies, Dog Training Supplies - and here is the page with some examples. Clean Run: Tiny

the nice thing is that this site you can pick treats by flavor OR by size! I love looking for tiny treats so i can give lots of little treats vs big treats.. one thing with training, you want to use something small as you have to give a lot of them.. and big treats take too long to eat and also add a lot of calories.

Just read ingredient lists .. that is what i do to make sure that i know what my boys are eating.

Emilie

14. Michtink02

Michtink02 Senior Member

Sorry not all are bad but MOST of them have a lot of preservatives and like you said sugar I just don't want to feed my dog something that i don't know what's in em. So I'd much rather take the time out to make my baby girl something that i know what's in it because i put it in there lol. Cherrios good idea!

15. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Really there are good ones out there. Innova's Wellness bars are really good. In fact I used those for a pregnant female that was picky about eating.

Avoderm, Bil Jac, Blue Buffalo, Holistic Select, Isle of Dogs, Natural Balance,
    Newman's Own, Old Mother Hubbard, Solid Gold, Wellness, Wet Noses, and Zukes are all very good brands that have dog treats available at PetCo. Go to your local PetCo or Petsmart and look at the treats and read the labels.

Buddy Biscuits are really good, made by Cloud Star. They have some "Itty Bitty" biscuits too that would be great for training treats.

Natural Balance also makes dog food rolls, that you can cut up into small bits and use that as training treats. I use those rolls for bait when I show my dogs. (Bait is what we used to get the dogs attention and help them to look interested. And yes, they get a small piece here and there.) Red Barn makes a roll like this too. I've used theirs also.

My dogs really like the Natural Balance treats. The Wet Noses brand, those smell good to me too! They like that brand and also the Cloud Stars.

If you have the time, sure, but there are companies out there with treats every bit as good as what you can make at home.

Peggy

16. Westwood

Westwood Senior Member

All treats have to have the ingredients listed, you can either go to the store and check out the actual bag or look on their website to see what's in each treat. I personally really like the Zuke's Mini Naturals for training, you can buy them on Amazon for about half the price of Petco. Wellness makes a good soft jerky treat too.

As another poster said, don't expect a hard plain cookie to keep your puppy's attention at something like puppy class, it just won't cut it usually. I use tiny bits of cooked chicken or hot dog for really high value rewards. My dog's are a little spoiled (ha!) but they won't work very long for hard biscuits even at home.

17. GrandmaA

GrandmaA Member

My problem with hard cookies is he has to go eat it which breaks the mood so cookies are reserved for calm down time. I agree with Westwood on the chicken or hotdogs (or any meat). I cook an extra piece of chicken (or hotdog or whatever) and let it cool lightly covered with a paper towel (so it dries out a bit) in the refrigerator then slice into small 1 centimeter cubes. A small handful in a plastic bag and I have his attention for as long as I want it!

Yes, you fingers will get messy... but your dog will gladly clean them for you!

18. Dillydoodle

Dillon is another one who works best with meat or soft stinky treats vs. a hard cookie.

I avoided hotdogs since they are so high in sodium and nitrates.. Instead, i used turkey breast, grilled chicken breast, grilled lamb shoulder or beef and cut them into tiny pieces and then put them in a zip lock baggie inserted in my treat bag that i wore on my hip. Then i had a dish towel that i would keep hanging out of my back pocket .. so as i worked with dillon in class, i had something to wipe my greasy drool covered hands on LOL!!! That was the way to keep Dillon's attention continuously through class!

I also loved the soft cloud star treats and also their their itty bitty buddy treats and the boys love them..

Emilie

19. Michtink02

Michtink02 Senior Member

Oh yes the ones you named i can trust in fact i'm actually gonna be feeding my girl the Blue Buffalo brand. Longevity i believe. I"m gonna try different of the ones you mentioned because all those i looked on the ingredients and they all sound good to me. No By Product junk for my doggie! But yeah i definitely will check out those snacks. It's just that they're so expensive for such a little pack LOL

20. Michtink02

Michtink02 Senior Member

LOL i was watching a youtube video and this guy made his dog a steak! Man oh man did that dog wait patiently. LOL lickin' his chops lol