Can my Corgis have raw eggs?

Discussion in 'Health Issues & Questions' started by Booski59, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Booski59

Booski59 Senior Member

I have been getting fertilized eggs from a friend who raises hens and sometimes an egg will have some blood or look unappetizing so I throw it out. I was wondering if it would be okay the stir it up and let the boys eat it instead. Is there anything harmful for dogs in raw eggs? Would it be better to cook it for them?

2. ColColt

ColColt Senior Member

Personally, I wouldn't but, I understand dogs can't get Salmonella. Nevertheless, I give Bubba boiled eggs about three times a week chopped up in his kibble or sometimes as a snack cut in half(the other half if mine!).

3. K9skennel

K9skennel Senior Member

i give them raw eggs, but i've never seen blood in them.

course i give them stuff other people wouldnt.

they like em. ( who am i kidding...they like everything)

4. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

Actually raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of the B vitamin, biotin, which can lead to skin and coat problems. Also raw eggs can contain Salmonella. I know of a corgi person who's dog had salmonella (not sure where he got it ) - so dogs can get salmonella.

I personally wouldnt risk it. But it only takes a few second to scramble an egg and I know my boys LOVE a good scrambled egg.

Emilie

5. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Yes, dogs can get salmonella, but usually don't as their digestive tract is shorter than ours. Things don't have as much time to develop before being excreted.

My understanding is that raw eggs are ok for dogs. There has been concern about the whites and the absorbtion of vit. B, but there is no conclusive proof on that. The holistic vet I use told me raw eggs were fine for dogs. And yes, I have given my dogs raw eggs.

I'm not sure about giving a dog an egg with blood in it though.

By the way there is no problem at all with the whites if you cook the egg. So if you're concerned at all cook them. Boiled, scrambled, whatever are ok.

Peggy

6. Corgis4me

Corgis4me Senior Member

My vet has treated dogs for salmonella, so they can get it, but I don't know how common it is.

7. Booski59

Booski59 Senior Member

Thank you for the information. I think is it common for fertilized eggs from young hens to have tiny spots of blood in them. If it is okay to just cook them up, I will do that for them instead of raw.

8. shadow1975

shadow1975 Member

We have about 7 hens, and 1 mean old rooster. The blood spots are just a fertilized egg wont hurt u. We give all our dogs eggs all the time, sometimes we don't get them picked up as fast as we should. They love them.....no samonella yet....lol

9. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I've read conflicting info on raw egg white and vit B and my interpretation is I give Pip a raw egg once or twice a week. My vet told me to give my dog with kidney disease hardboiled eggs, because they are an excellent high quality protein source. I make an extra one for Pip, whenever I boil eggs. I think they are fine to feed any way you cook them or raw. I've never seen one with blood, either.
    My vet is not a fan of raw anything.