Coat length

Discussion in 'The Breed Standard' started by Bayoucorgi, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Taylor has a thin bit of a 'saddle' but basically he has a very soft and luscious coat. His coat is not in any way a fault for show purposes and the texture of his coat is similar to his father who is an Canadian, New Zealand and Australian conformation champ. So I cannot agree that soft coats on Pems are a fault or should be otherwise. I had a show champ Corgi who was short coated (but not overly so) and another who was thickly coated. Of all the Pems in the Wellington Welsh Corgi Walking Club, Taylor has the softest coat apart from Holly, the fluff.

2. Hayashi_eri

Hayashi_eri Senior Member

I have only seen 2 flurry or long haired Corgis in Singapore. Someone actually told me that the long haired Corgi is not of standard....is it true???:confused:

3. Bayoucorgi

Bayoucorgi Senior Member

A narrow strip of white! How narrow is narrow? See Liam the blaze-faced corgi at left. Not that the white is his worst feature. His pasterns can be touching and his left front foot goes east and the right go west. The better for fast turns while frapping! (Although I suspect we'll have some joint issues there in later life) Also, there is a dip behind the shoulders blending gently to a rise over the loin to a mildly higher rear end. The hocks are beautifully perpendicular and parallel and would rival any show dogs' rear.

Whoever bred this dog had no idea what they were doing. I'm sending the pics for his AKC ILP so I can show him in herding, obedience and agility so was worried about the coat issue. He's got a hard "tight" coat, just not long. I'm going to call it his "herding" coat. It suits me fine. I hated the big hair Goldens. I bred mine to have the correct double coat with moderate feathering. It was harder to win with them, but easier to live with in the swamp.

I adore this short-haired, wide white faced, little sausage.

4. Fluffypants

Fluffypants Senior Member

If you are talking about fluffies - then yes, that's true.

At first, I didn't understand why. But now having owned my precious fluffypants, I think I get it. Her coat seems to suck up water. It gets very heavy, and takes FOREVER to dry, even with multiple towelings and blow drying! So, I can see how this would not be good for a working dog in the field. Much better to have those harsh guard hairs - the wash & wear look. :p

5. Fluffypants

After looking at his new gallery pics, I must agree. He does look like a snuggler! Those ears really enhance his sweet facial expression - it begs to be snuggled! :)

6. milles2

milles2 Senior Member

Lulu has the softest coat and very fine. But I swear she wears fluffy pants! can't wait to meet Miss Jackie Fluffy pants to compare notes w/ Lulu!

Lulu is a mis marked Pup too. Her white face + one white ear.

Like Wicca, I think she too is a beauty!

7. Fluffypants

I actually trim Jackie to have those pants. Otherwise, she would have a long, luxurious skirt (see pics of ChloeLouise).

And I agree with both of you!! :D

8. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

LOL! He probably won't like it. Morgan doesn't either, he tolerates being blow dried. It took awhile to convince him he wasn't being killed!

Peggy

9. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

What do you mean by a "bit of a 'saddle'"?

Yes, it is a fault. It doesn't matter if you think so or not. According to the standard a soft textured coat is a fault.

The texture should be harsh and if it's not it's a fault. That doesn't mean the dog can't win or finish it's championship. ALL dogs have faults. The job of the judge is to put up the one that fits the standard best.

Peggy

10. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Yes, it's true. The long coat is a fault according to the standard.

The standards are "standards of perfection". What the "ideal" corgi should be like. Mother Nature makes sure that we never get the "perfect" corgi. So all dogs have faults.

Peggy

11. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

That depends on who's defining narrow. ;)

Technically his is a bit more than what I'd call narrow. But there are lots in the ring with blazes that big. It's not really a big deal. Touching the eyes is worse. We don't want the white to touch or surround the eyes.

You're right, that is worse. That's a structure fault. The white is a cosmetic fault. IMO, a structure fault is worse, as that can effect the quality of life. (Can not always does though.)

A slight dip behind the shoulders can be pretty common and can be due to the difference in coat length/thickness from the ruff to the body coat.

However as for the back we want a level topline. (You've learned quite a bit about the standard. :) )

They don't care about the coat for the ILP. You can ILP or even register mismarks and fluffies too.

Peggy

12. Michael Romanos

The usual slang terms for Corgis often spectacular fluffy bums are 'pants' for the boys and 'skirts' for the girls.

Saddle on a Pem - a strip or area going part of the way along the back that has less soft or coarser top coat hairs.

13. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

It's not slang it's the proper term. For either sex and in both breeds it's pants. Skirts are on Scotties. (That's the furnishing along the sides and rear of a Scottie.)

When I hear saddle I think of the black part on most red headed tris.

I think what you're referring to is what I've heard called the "fairy saddle" which is the thicker part of the coat over the shoulders.

Peggy

14. LittlePonzo

LittlePonzo Senior Member

That's exactly what I was thinking too Peggy when he wrote that...The fairy saddle on the back. I think that saddle is so cute!

15. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

The fairy saddle area is back of the neck - a patch if you will saddle shaped. There is a coarser strip of hair that runs dorsally the length of the spine. It is one that often "freaks" new owners out as this is where the adult coat begins changing first. On some corgis, depending upon shading and coloring one can see the fairy reins.

Debbie

16. Michael Romanos

In NZ and Australia we call it pants and skirts. In human terms, males wear pants and females wear skirts. That's where it came from. I suppose it is logical. And it is slang. Slang can become acceptable within a language.

No, I mean saddle within the meaning I have given it - a slighly courser or less soft saddle of hair running from below the shoulders part of the way down the back within the middle strip of the back.

17. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Well, in the US it isn't slang it's a proper term and it's pants for both. And in this day and women wear pants as often or more often than skirts.

Ok, not what I think of as a saddle. That's the back of the dog and the texture there should be harsh.

Peggy

18. Bayoucorgi

Bayoucorgi Senior Member

I've been around the ring enough to know that winning doesn't mean correctness. My dog's Am. Can. Ch. sire was missing teeth. My girl who was magnificently sound, had incredible pigment, was structurally correct and floating movement girl was too "dark red" to win. And she hated dog shows so she wouldn't sparkle in the ring.

Once I was sitting ringside at the KC of Beverly Hills next to a "big shot" breeder who had several Goldens who won a lot. Her young bitch was sitting between her feet and she was fluffing and puffing her long, open, cottony coat and gushing, "I know it's not correct but I just love it." Of course that dog did eventually finish. I imagine that coat would have soaked up enough water to drown her if she did have any birdiness. And worst of all, there are big winners who don't have any attributes but an owner with deep pockets who pays the right handler.

19. Bayoucorgi

Bayoucorgi Senior Member

Michael, what do ya'll call us Americans? Yanks? You can call them pants and skirts if you like. I'll call them fluffy bloomers because we do that in Texas.

20. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Bayoucorgi - sorry there's no emoticon for a high five, but you get one. :) Spoken as someone who has paid her dues. ;)

Debbie