Coat length

Discussion in 'The Breed Standard' started by Bayoucorgi, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Hayashi_eri

Hayashi_eri Senior Member

Its sad but we rarely see Corgis in the ring here in Singapore. They are just quite rare here. I have once thought of trying to be a handler or show a Corgi ( I am very proud of them :D ) but just couldn't arrange my hectic work schedule & do not have a deep pocket to import a champion puppy.:(

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Yanks is slang too, so is the term Kiwis for New Zealanders. Females do wear skirts and frocks the world over but you would be pushing it to see men in anything but pants. I think it is cute to differentiate between male and female Corgis in using terms that fit the bill. But I never use the term 'bitch' to describe a female dog because the word has long been desecrated and I cannot see the point of DOG equating to male and a female dog being called something else when both are actually dogs.

3. darci

darci Senior Member

Someone should tell my hubby that.....:)

I consider his kilt a skirt but he hates it when I say that.:cool:

4. tandemgal

tandemgal Senior Member

I call The Girls pants/skirt their pantaloons - like the ones Southern Bells wore in the old South. Why? Just because I like the sound of it and the visual it evokes :D

Darci - I like men in kilts too! must be the Scot in me LOL

5. darci

darci Senior Member

Dont you just love those "bonnie knees"......

6. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

What about Scotland?

Well, it may be cute to you but unneeded to me.

See I TOLD you they were dogs. LOL!

In the animal world there are names to differentiate between males and femles, bitch just happens to be the term for female dogs. Here in the US we have to use it. We have Winners Dog and Winners Bitch to designate the winners (the ones who get the points.)

It's only derogatory if you want it to be.

Peggy

7. LittlePonzo

LittlePonzo Senior Member

I do dog breed research projects with my language arts class...I always have to prep those little 4th graders that they may see a word that they are used to hearing as a bad word, but that its no big deal because in the world of dog shows and breeding it just means female dog. Hahahahah! I love to see their faces when they stumble upon it.

8. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I know, and worse, when I first moved to Utah and would call a vet and say "I have a bitch and...." and momentary silence on the other end. Had to learn to say female more often. Sheesh, if you work in a business that deals with dogs learn to accept the correct terms without gasping.

Peggy

9. Michael Romanos

It's funny why some Go Corgi members have referred to Scottish men as wearing clothes other than pants. Anyone who has been to Scotland or knows intimately of Scotland will know that the great majority of men there do not regularly wear kilts as street garb.
    Why not mention parts of Africa or Asia or some of the Pacific Islands? But sufficient men worldwide still wear pants to be able to be referred to in that sense and in those areas of the world where men may not always wear pants -I don't see that the roles are reversed in reference to women.

10. Checkers

Checkers Senior Member

HAHA... That is SO Utah Peggy. Hubby and I got a chuckle out of that response. So many things we had to get used to when we first moved here.

11. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Or the numerous Asian countries where robes were/are traditional dress for men?

In Western society, pants for women are pretty much the norm for most every occasion.

Debbie

12. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

Are we seriously debating men wearing pants and women wearing skirts? The 50's are long gone, and women dont all have to wear skirts any more...sigh welcome to 2007.
    The CORRECT terminology for the Corgi is "pants" not skirt . I can't believe this is a serious debate...
    Emilie

13. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Pretty sad isn't it? :rolleyes: Actually this quote:
    "I think it is cute to differentiate between male and female Corgis in using terms that fit the bill." is reminiscent of another individual known to Peggy and I. She makes up terminology as she goes, giggles it away as cute when called on it and then wonders why she isn't taken seriously.

Debbie

14. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

For a moment there, I was thinking Jessica would have to change her name to "FluffySkirts", and that just doesn't sound right for Miss Jackie.:rolleyes:

15. Michael Romanos

Ah Glencorgi, you scraped over my very subtle observation that in places where men wear other than pants as a norm, the women do not wear pants as a rule. On occasions when one refers to the West as if everything the West stands for is right and proper, it might not be the case and the other larger side of the fence (the majority) might be more astute. Though I don't thnk pants and skirts and dresses are anything to go by. I went to the Wellington Cup Races ( horse racing) at the world class Trentham Racecourse (which is a walk away from where I live) last Saturday week and there was a high fashion parade as part of the on course activities, and I don't think any of the ladies in the fashion contest wore pants - they wore mainly dresses and some had skirts. Mind you it is the middle of summer here and dresses and short skirts are more in keeping with the temperatures.

16. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Same way you scraped over the fact that there ARE correct terminologies (that will vary from breed to breed sometimes) to designate markings and/or furnishings. Although if we think about this historically, it might just be that one of the world's largest racial populations (anthropologically speaking) just might have had more men in robes than women. However, that is basically irrelevant and the point of this thread should be to teach correct terminology, not make up whatever name one thinks is "cute" and say use these. This cavalier type notion that "you" might know best certainly explains a lot of the tone and attitude you have towards some of the venues you have participated in and now speak with such venom about.

Corgis of both sexes have pants!

Debbie

17. Michael Romanos

I'll not skirt around this subject any longer. Pants for the boys, skirts for the girls - in the Corgi world. These are slang descriptive words and not technical terms. Some people at some stage decided to use one word to colloquially describe a rear aspect of a male/female Corgi ie pants, just as some people refer to guys as both male and female. whereas guys are a slang word for boys and the girls equivalent is dolls.

18. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not, he loves me....

pants, skirts, pants, skirts, pants, skirts, pants, .................I ran out of petals....It's pants for both, and that's final! Sigh.:rolleyes:

I know, I need a vacation.

19. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Scotland is obvious. And well, the majority of women in America don't wear skirts either. More wear pants.

You didn't either. :D

Peggy

20. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Michael, it's not cute, and it's not funny. In the US and I belive England the term used for both sexes is pants. And since those are the two countries that are usually the "ruling" word for corgis, that is what I go by. It doesn't matter that you think it's cute.

And it is not a slang term, it is the proper term for the rear furnishings of a corgi.

We're not taling guys and dolls, we're not talking attire for human men or worman. We're talking about the correct term for the rear furnishings on a corgi. Pants p-e-r-i-o-d

If you're going to attempt to pass yourself off as a corgi expert at least attemt to use the correct terms. If you don't you lose your credibility. (See Debbie's post about the gal who makes up her own terms and isn't taken seriously.)

Peggy