Coconut Oil could work wonders on Corgis

Discussion in 'Holistic Care' started by Michael Romanos, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

My item on the benefits of pure coconut oil for dogs in my monthly column
    " Dog Talk" in the NZ Dog World magazine seems to have proven a bit of a hit.

I listed at least 10 benefits from a tiny amount of the oil a few times a week including skin and coat improvements, skin allergy remedy, bad breath removal, joint health, subsiding arthritis, energy booster, brain enhancement etc

Well Labrador and Golden Retriever clubs in New Zealand asked permission to relay the item to their members and here is the text of a letter in the latest edition of the magazine received today:

I would like to thank Michael Romanos for his article on coconut oil.
    I have an eight year old Beardie/Huntaway who has had allergy problems since a pup.
    After many visits to the vet an many changes of diet we got the problem a little under control. (But) after reading about coconut oil it seemed worth a try. The results have been remarkable.
    The dry, itchy skin has gone within a week and the smell from the yeast overload went away too.
    Now we have a happier, healthier dog.
    I would say to all to give coconut oil a go.
    Thanks again to Michael Romanos.

On this website there has been some discussion about Corgis who have a bad smell . All who do probably have a skin problem and it seems coconut can also remove this odour.

I must also note that no one in NZ, as ever, has asked me who my source is or where I sourced it from.

2. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

There has been a thread on the ShowPem Facebook page recently about the benefits of coconut oil.

Debbie

PS: As for sourcing an article ... back in the days of writing papers for school ... information found in 3 or more sources was considered "common knowledge", no need to quote source. One did have to put information in their own words though. The subject and information reported in this coconut oil article would fall within the description of "common knowledge."

Now IF a subject is presented such as: "XYZ is true because people at a highly regarded veterinary school in the US said so" for example, well , that needs some documentation. First which "highly regarded vet school"? UC Davis? Tufts? NCSU? UT? Or statements such as "highly thought of researcher" Dr. Dodds? Dr. Coates? etc.

Just how I see it - Wikipedia anyone?

3. Michael Romanos

It would be interesting if the information on the ShowPem facebook page on coconut oil came via my publicity about it. I mentioned the subject on another Corgi open website a few months ago in detail and on Go Corgi some weeks ago.

4. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

No, I can say with confident certainty your writing on coconut oil had zilch/zero/nada to do with the thread on the ShowPem Facebook page. Someone already using it for her corgis was asking about alternate sources from her current one. The thread bloomed from there; questions were asked about its benefits; answers were given by those who had been using it for quite some time sharing their experiences and knowledge - long before your article.

Debbie

5. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

"Skin problems" are usually symptoms of an underlying condition and there are other things that can cause a dog to be smelly.

There are BIG differences between fact, opinion, inference (correct or not), and regurigitation from "mystery" parties.

6. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

toot our own horn much? geez...

and yes, Debbie hit the nail on the head for source vs. no source.

Emilie

7. Gally

Gally Senior Member

8. Michael Romanos

Coconut oil consumed by dogs does not cure anything that I know of - but it can MASK bad breath and apparently, bad odours caused by skin problems, among a host of other benefits.
    I have no shares in coconut oil but I do give Taylor a half teaspoon every so often and it has been beneficial so I do have some first hand knowledge. It is fairly inexpensive.

9. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Why would anyone want to MASK odors rather than eliminate them??????

10. Michael Romanos

LaRogue - Elementary. Some skin and coat problems and some bad breath problems have no cure. Some of the causes are obscure. Some dogs have odours of which the cause is unknown and many breeds of dogs carry typical "doggie" odours all their lives which is a natural aspect of their breed. Some dogs are on medications which promote an odour. Have I said enough?
    I only considered that in regard to odour, coconut oil reduced or eliminated bad breath from dogs and only for a period so that the oil consumption needed to be repeated. Taylor has no symptoms of anything adverse beyond having a slightly bad breath which was only noticeable at zero range. Coconut oil has eliminated this and his breath has been fine without additional oil.
    But I do know that some dog food products can produce a breath odour in dogs.

There was this woman who stated (as per my first post here) that her dog's "yeast overload" smell had "gone away" along with her dog's itchy and dry skin thanks to coconut oil.

I am sure you get the picture but I can explain further if you wish.

11. Snowberry

Snowberry Senior Member

It's not news that adding a small amount of oil can improve a dog's coat (if the reason is internal and not parasitic). "Back in the day" when I was showing dogs, adding a small amount of corn oil to a dog's diet was common to get a silkier, shiny coat. Horse folks add corn oil to their horses' diet for the same reason. So it really isn't unexpected that coconut oil would do the same and is certainly a better choice for canines than corn oil.

However, coconut oil is now being given a whole host of other benefits (at least for humans) due mainly to the specific acids present. Whether these are all true or have the same benefit to our dogs, I don't know. I've been substituting coconut oil in some of my baking/cooking. I think I'll share a bit with my corgis now too.

12. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Quoting from the article Gally posted a link for:

"Most of the coconut oil benefits come from the MCTs. For example, the lauric acid in coconut oil has antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. Capric and caprylic acid have similar properties and are best known for their anti-fungal effects."

Another excerpt:
    "Skin Conditions

Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis,and itchy skin
    Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
    Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
    Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
    Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
    Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings

Digestion

Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
    Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
    Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
    Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing

Immune System, Metabolic function, Bone Health

Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
    Regulates and balance insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
    Helps prevent or control diabetes
    Helps reduce weight, increases energy
    Aids in arthritis or ligament problems"

So in reading the above information, my interpretation would be that coconut oil doesn't "MASK" anything, rather aids in healing certain imbalances that may be present.

Debbie

13. Michael Romanos

I am quite comfortable with the term mask as applied to a few of the benefits of coconut oil for dogs. Conceals, protects. Yes and yes.

14. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Maybe going into "to-may-toe"/"to-mah-toe", however, I feel there is a big difference between "masking" (concealing, covering, hiding) and correcting, healing, preventing ... an issue.

Debbie

15. ColColt

ColColt Senior Member

Oh, boy-Another chest thumper for Mighty Mike...hungawa, bwana.

16. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I agree. To me the masking comment gave me the impression of something along the lines of pouring on the perfume or cologne, because you haven't bathed/showered for a week or something.

My personal experience has been if you have a stinky dog, for no apparent reason..which I did, there is something wrong with him/her. Once (again in my experience) the health issue is addressed the dog no longer smells bad!

Explaining coconut oil "aids in healing" and giving the supporting links, for individuals to read/research, for themselves, is much more helpful. It also makes more sense, than advising to use it to cover, conceal, or hide offensive odor does.

17. Are there benefits for an already healthy dog? My understanding is that it helps keep their coat soft, is that true?

18. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

I believe the answer to both questions would be yes. The coconut oil would help maintain health and it is good for the coat.

Debbie

19. Awesome. I've picked up a huge tub of it for myself, so I'll have a months worth of practice with it before I use it on my pup. :)
    I LOVE the smell of it already. Ooh!

20. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

confused.. are you going to feed it or use it topically? i ask because i know a lot of people who are doing both! My mom swears using it on her face has made her skin soft and her wrinkles less prominent. She also uses it in cooking instead of olive oil since it is more stable at high heats, not degrading like the olive oil does. I have been using it in cooking and have both the extra virgin that still takes coconutty.. and the refined which has no coconut flavor.. some things just are not as good with a coconut flavor ( like eggs.. ) and other things taste soooo good with the coconut flavor ( jasmine rice!)

i have not yet tried it with the dogs because of the fact that they are on salmon oil currently AND gus also gets vitamin E ( for his auto immune issue. ) I just don't want to give too much fat and oil in his food ( he gets the runs if he has too high a fat content) but one day i will try this!

Emilie