Coconut Oil could work wonders on Corgis

Discussion in 'Holistic Care' started by Michael Romanos, Mar 5, 2012.

1. I'm going to be doing both. :)
    I bought some today and am using it on my face and arms. I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin, and it's already making my skin super soft on the first try! Plus it smells amazing.
    I also get really dry patches of skin on my face and upper arms, supposedly due to an iron deficiency. (I've recently started taking iron supplements, so that seems to be helping at least..) It immediately gets rid of dry skin, and once my skin soaks up the oil (it takes a little bit of time) it doesn't get dry immediately like it does with other lotions. I've tried TONS of products, and even "sensitive skin" ones seem to make me break out, or burn my skin, so this is wonderful!

I used it on my hair earlier, as well. I have curly/wavy hair that gets frizzy, and it seems to keep the frizz down easily.

I also put it in my tea earlier today. I really liked it, I normally add way too much sugar to my tea but I didn't add any and liked the flavor just fine. I usually can't stand the taste of tea without sugar, so this will be a much better way to go!

2. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

i love the flavor of the coconut oil.. i tried some on my arms and it was great.. only the smell was making me hungry! it smelled delicious! The dogs also thought I smelled delicious and were busy trying to lick my arms LOL!!!

I found some cococut treats for the boys.. They make both a plain coconut one and a coconut and blueberry one. I bought the one with blueberries (i pick whatever has the most antioxidants since I want Gus on as much good antioxidants as possible to keep that immune system up! ) The boys LOVED these treats and i will be buying more. They are soft and easy to break apart.
    here is the link to them:
    Clean Run: Tid Bitz

Emilie

3. stn4dsoccerboi

stn4dsoccerboi Junior Member

I just got two jars of Coconut pressed oil from MARSHALLS, it does make the coat shinny and also eliminate the natural dog odors for my two BOYS.

After their baths and showers, I blow dry them and after I lather them with the oil and re blow dry their coats.

4. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Of course Coconut oil can be taken internally or applied externally for quite different aspects. Corgis should not have a doggy odour (unless they are dirty or wet) so it is great that coconut oil is helping to eliminate your Corgi's odour. But I just want to say that the underlying reason for your Corgi's skin/coat odour may not be addressed.It could be many things. If primary, a dog shampoo for oily hair/skin and a change of diet should do the trick but if it is a secondary condition them we look to such things as skin diseases, parasites, allergies, fungal or bacterial infections, thyroid disorders or nutritional deficiencies.

Similarly with bad breath. Coconut oil will take away the bad breath but not the underlying reason if there is one - and it can be serious.

Michael Romanos likes this

5. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

A corgi with a healthy coat should not need anything on it after a bath. I would not put the coconut oil on the coat, but better to feed it to the dog. Add some to their food and let it work from the inside out.

Peggy

6. Michael Romanos

Coconut oil is a proven remedial application for some external skin disorders.

7. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

But to just rub it into the coat and then blow dry again? The poster didn't say they were using it as an application for any skin disorder. I just don't think I'd want any kind of "oil" on my dogs coat. It could rub off on rugs, floors, furniture, and well me when I pet them.

For a wound or some type of skin eruption, yes, I could see that but as a coat dressing, sorry I don't see the benefit there. Hair and coats grow best when fed from the inside not from what's put on the outside. A healthy coat won't need an oil worked into it.

Peggy

8. Michael Romanos

You can easily rub/massage coconut oil into the coat so that just like anything including shampoo - it gets through to the skin. I use to show a Peke and boy what you put on their coats to give the coats a healthy gleam.

Coconut oil applied to hair is nutritional and remedial, will shine and soften the hair. If these are what a Corgi needs then go ahead on the basis of enhancing coat excellence. I think I will add a little to Taylor's coat when next he is groomed.

Many shampoos - dogs and humans - have coconut oil added.

Michael Romanos likes this.

9. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I'm sure you could but some will still stay on the coat. Remember that things like this that stay on the coat can attract dirt and it will stick to the coat too. I just don't think coconut oil ON the coat is a good thing. On the skin to treat a wound or abrasion, yes. Added to the food, yes.

The handlers I've seen that put coat dressings on their dogs for the shows, bathe the dogs after the show and wash out everything they've put in the coat. This is also what I've learned in seminars I've gone to on showing dogs.

Corgis are not supposed to have "soft hair". The outer coat is supposed to be harsh. It's that harsh texture that makes the coat water repellant and helps the dirt/mud fall off when dry and prevents burrs, grasses, etc. from sticking to the coat.

IMO, that's a bit different than adding the coconut oil directly to the coat. And I have no problem with someone using a shampoo with coconut oil in it. In fact I think that's a better idea.

JMO,
    Peggy

10. Michael Romanos

It is a little nutty to say that if coconut oil is applied to Corgis and "softens" their coat that this is somehow against the essence of a Corgi's coat. If cocount oil or anything else acts to soften a coat then it will not penalise a Corgi as the natural aspects of their coat will still be apparent. It is over simplification to think that suddenly a coat goes from harsh to soft - there are degrees of softness. A Corgi's coat is not suppose to be "harsh' -in any shape or form. There are a number of coat types that are acceptable and "harsh' is not one of them.

Next we will be advised what shampoos not to use in case they soften up a Corgi's coat. The shampoo that Taylor gets for his baths is called St Francis Aroma Care Lavender and Rosemary Shampoo - and yes it contains coconut oil which acts as several things - skin care, coat shine and a softer lustre.

Pass me the coconut oil.

Michael Romanos likes this.

11. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

So now, I'm nutty. Thanks. It was YOU that said it softend the coat, not me. And how is it nutty to say that is against the essence of a corgi's coat? The standard says they should have a harsh coat not a soft one.

That's not what I said.

Well, Pembroke breeders and breeders of other breeds with a similar coat refer to the outer coat as "harsh". Meaning NOT SOFT.

Here's exactly what the standard says. (And IMO, harsh and coarse are the same thing.)
    I told you I had no problem with someone using a shampoo with coconut oil in it. I merely stated my opinion (and yes, different from yours but every bit as good!!) about rubbing coconut oil into the coat.

Continue to argue if you must, but I've stated my opinion and the people on this forum can decide for themselves.

Peggy

12. Michael Romanos

Nowhere in the American version of the Corgi standard for Pems or Cardis is there the word "harsh" to describe the coat, What an overstated word to use. Softening a coat with a bit of coconut oil or dog shampoo is not going to create a disqualifying result and it must be nutty to think otherwise.

13. dthanoi9

dthanoi9 Junior Member

Sky 830 s Chi?c máy du?c các website v? công ngh? dánh giá cao nh?t, hoÃ*n thi?n nh?t c? v? c?u hình, ki?u dáng, tÃ*nh nang vÃ* mÃ*n hình. Ch?y mu?t mÃ* m?i ?ng d?ng "n?ng ký" nh?t, t?c d? lu?t web "nhanh nhu di?n", v?a m? lÃ* ra ngay! Sky th?t lÃ* nâng niu khách hÃ*ng khi tÃ*ch h?p c?c nhi?u apps h?u Ã*ch có s?n d? ph?c v? t?i da nhu c?u "mò" "v?c" nhu camnote, blognote, smartcode, smartnote, video studio, remote care... ho?c tùy ch?nh hình n?n, themes chung ho?c themes tin nh?n, mÃ*n hình khóa ngoÃ*i v.v d?u du?c Sky d?u tu t? m? r?t "sâu s?c", ý t?... Ngay c? ch?p hình Sky 830 cung tÃ*ch h?p s?n 7 styles khác nhau d? "thu?ng d?" tha h? mÃ* phát huy kh? nang sáng t?o ngh? thu?t khi ch?p ?nh!

C?u hình: Sky 830
    Chip lõi kép Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 1,5GHz d?i m?i. D?i chip S4 dánh giá ngang 4 lõi trên One X, ti?t ki?m pin vÃ* mát hon các d?i tru?c r?t nhi?u.
    - MÃ*n hình True HD IPS 4,8", d? phân gi?i 1.280 x 720 pixel, v?i mÃ*n hình IPS c?c k? s?c nét, mÃ*u s?c hi?n th? chu?n vÃ* du?c dánh giá cao hon Amoled c?a samsung- Ram 1G
    - Android 4.0.3 xÃ*i ?n d?nh c?c kì.
    - Camera 8.0 Mpx Quay phim Full HD 1080p
    - Pin dung lu?ng 1950 mAh
    - Wifi chu?n N, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC v.v.v... Em k?t nh?t vi?c vÃ*o m?ng b?ng Wifi hay 3G.
    - B? nh? trong 16G
    - M?ng 4G dùng sóng 3G/GSM
    LIÊN H? MUA HÀNG T?I:
    TRUNG TÂM DI?N THO?I HÀ N?I

Yahoo: dthanoi

D?a ch?: 519 Kim Nguu, Hai BÃ* Trung, HÃ* N?i

Hotline: 046 680 6711