corgi-mix stray rescued...need some input

Discussion in 'General Rescue Discussions' started by dyrissa, Mar 24, 2015.

1. dyrissa

dyrissa Junior Member

Hi! My husband found a puppy (approx. 9 months- 1yr) taking shelter on the porch of my parents unoccupied house. He was slightly emaciated and very skittish. My hubby thought he'd hit the dog with our van (luckily no) and took him home to warm him up and feed him.

We contacted the neighbors, put his picture on FB, notified the local shelters, and checked for a microchip at the vet. No one is missing this sweetie so far. He is healthy (aside from the emaciation) and instantly bonded with our young kids and both our dogs (7 y.o. husky and 6 y.o. great dane /blk lab mix). He also follows me everywhere and has only been in our home for a little over 24 hrs. I want to keep this little guy very badly, but my hubby feels a new home might be best (We would keep him before surrendering him to an overcrowded shelter where he'll most likely be euthanized). Due to the bonds he seems to have rapidly made, I am afraid of re-homing him.

I have no experience with Corgis and their temperaments. What would be best for him? We have had no aggressive behavior from him, no barking, no chewing. He plays nicely with our dogs and is currently sleeping against the closed door of my children's room. According to the shelter any claims have to be made regarding him by the 30th of March, meanwhile all are becoming more attached.

Any advice welcome

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

A Corgi-mix is not a Corgi so it is virtually impossible to describe what your newly found friend should be like. I can give you a list of most of the typicalities of a Pembroke or a Cardigan Corgi but this is not what you have. But to ease your mind a little, pure-bred Corgis are typically friendly, cuddly, love people, get on famously well with dogs around their own size or smaller.

As with any dog, do not overfeed or give him anything that is inappropriate for dogs; exercise him to a high level - around an hour daily and more than this weekly. Make sure he never becomes overweight l;et along obese and treat him as an important member of the family and a part of the inner community of your home. And train him through the praise and reward methods and play with him consistently. Don't let boredom take control of his life.

MR likes this

3. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

No one can answer that for you. It depends it your plate's full. If there's room, this guy could be a great addition to your household and a real positive for your health and happiness. But, if your day's are already a blur and you have no set schedule due to all the responsibilities you carry, you'll only be heaping one more hardship on yourself, your family and marriage. It's my contention that the majority of dogs in this country are "prisoners" in their present home, forced to sit, caged, for 10, 12 or more hours a day without peeing or social interaction of any kind. And, this is acceptable to owners because, let's face it...they're only "dogs".

The worst time a con(vict) can serve is time in "solitary confinement" aka "lock down". That's considered the "hardest time" of all. You got "parents"...you got "young kids"...You got 2 dogs, already????...I sure hope you know what you're considering. Cause, if you believe in the "after life" as I do, "what-goes-around, always, comes-around". We always get a taste of our own medicine...

4. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

It sounds like it has quite a bit of the corgi temperament. I had a corgi/chow mix. Chows are typically very aloof and very protective of people and property, leery of strangers and know to become vicious without proper handling. She exhibited a lot of chow mix...aloof, leery of strangers, protective of property. Yet, she loved kids, obeyed commands and very loving when she got to know people.

It's really hard to know how a mix is going to be. A lot has to be on their treatment and training.

If you can't keep the dog, look up corgi rescues. Most will take a corgi mix and try and find it a new home. Better hurry....if you are anything like me, you end of getting attached and keeping them. LOL!