Corgi Proportions

Discussion in 'The Breed Standard' started by Jhemphill, May 26, 2006.

1. Jhemphill

Jhemphill Senior Member

We measured Maximus today he is 12 inches tall and 20 to 21 inches long. Both measurements are from the shoulders to the ground and from the shoulders to the base of the tail. Is he too long for his height? I am just interested, do not plan on showing him. I am only concerned because of back and hip problems, he loves to jump down from the bed and sometimes the last couple of steps in the house. If he is longer for his height than normal, I will start taking precautions so he does not hurt his back or hips, which I would think would be an issue if he is extra long.

Jodi

2. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

"Proportions: Moderately long and low. The distance from the withers to the base of the tail should be approximately 40 percent greater than the distance from the withers to the ground."

So a Pembroke "should" be 40% longer than it is tall.

Measurement should be taken from the withers. From Canine Anatomy by Harold R. Spira: "Withers: Anatomically, the region of union between the upper portion of the shoulder blade on the one hand and the spinous processes of the first and second thoracic vertebrae on the other. Topographically, the withers are located just behind the base of the neck at the neck/back junction; a significant area, as a dog's height is measured from this location."

Also important is the length of loin. Loin is "The lumbar area, extending from the end of the rib cage to the start of the pelvis,"

If this area is correct in length then you will have better back support.

It is really hard to make a call like this without being able to see Maximus and even maybe get hands on him because there are some other factors like leg length that can make a difference. If you could get a picture of him from the side standing - kind of like a show pose, might be able to do an eyeball better idea.

Debbie who is hoping this isn't clear as mud ;)

3. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Its difficult to get an accurate picture on Corgis who are under 18 months old and especially those under 12 months because, like humans, they may develop certain parts of their bodies ahead of the rest. So they may not be in proportion to what they will finish up as, until they reach at least some kind of maturity. Vis height, length, ears, feet. head etc

4. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

What Michael said about age is very true. The 12-18 month range is adolescence and them looking extra long, lean and lanky is just a part of that age phase. By around 2 years, then there is a better idea of what they will look like at maturity after all they have grown into themselves and caught up with all their parts.

Debbie

5. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

Debbie,

I am a bit confused - the trainer at puppy class referred to our dogs - starting at 6 months as adolescence stage. So is it 6 months to 18 months, or the 12 to 18 months as you stated, and under that age is considered something else?

Linda

6. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Mentally, adolescence begins to set in at around 6 months; physically it can begin a little later, so in this case I was speaking from the physical.

Debbie

7. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

Okay, thanks Deb

Linda