Corgi Shedding

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by Aryankiu, May 14, 2014.

1. Aryankiu

Aryankiu Junior Member

I plan on getting a corgi next year and the only thing I am worried about is shedding. I plan on brushing him everyday and I am ok with shedding but I have heard people say that corgis shed a crazy amount and that their floors are covered in hair. I know that corgis blow their coat twice a year and that is when they shed like crazy but I am just wondering if I brush him everyday will he still shed a lot?

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Some Corgis shed more than others. Many factors go into shedding volumes including climate, exposure, health, skin condition, food and thickness of coat and if the coat is course or fine. For example of the latter, a Cardigan Corgi sheds less than a Pembroke.

Brushing and combing daily for two or three minutes is the best grooming for a Corgi (though I stick to every second day) and it does keep loose hairs at a minimum . As well in the height of the twice a year full blown sheds, a shampoo bath with good quality dog shampoo will help keep 'dampen' the shedding.

Corgis and EVERY other breed of dog will shed some loose hairs EVERY day of the year but generally speaking, grooming as you suggest will keep things down to an acceptable level. A bit more attention to vacuuming inside a house and car is required.

Corgis are small dogs - that is one reason why shedding in many other thick, heavily or long coated dog breeds shed many more hair.

MR likes this

3. Aryankiu

Aryankiu Junior Member

Thanks for your response. I plan on getting a pembroke so could you suggest any good brushes or combs and do you know any good breeders around Dallas. Would you say that corgis shed at the same rate as labs but just on a smaller scale.

4. Michael Romanos

I have a double sided brush and double sided comb and I use all four components as part of a grooming session. The brush has a wiry/pin side which is excellent, and a soft side for the finishing touch. The comb has a wide apart teeth side and a narrow teeth side and i use the wide side first up. Corgis typically love being groomed and it is important from the very first beginning to make it a fun and relaxing activiity for your Corgi puppy - and never use any of the processes as a harsh/heavy operation. Grooming is very beneficial for a dog in more ways than simply getting rid of loose hairs - there is the feeling of well-being, there is the massaging, there is the attention, there is the skin health and there is the cleaning of the coat.

I hope a Go Corgi member can suggest some good breeders in the USA, Don't be afraid to look further afield than Dallas and use the internet and air freighting to get your ideal Corgi.

MR likes this

5. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Having lived with Pembrokes since 1980 and Cardigans since the late 80's, I have to disagree with this. They have the same type of coats, double coats, and they shed about the same amount. However, the amount can vary from dog to dog, but corgis (both breeds in general) when blowing coat can produce an amazing amount of undercoat!!

Also not true. There are breeds that don't shed, such as some of the terriers, poodles, pulik. But they will mat if not taken care of and clipped. Those that don't shed need to be taken to the groomer on a regular basis.

Peggy

6. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Check the regional clubs in Texas - North Texas Pembroke Welsh Corgi Fanciers, Inc. and http://houstonpembrokes.org/ or the membership list on the PWCCA page. PWCCA - Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America, Inc. - Breeder Referral Also, read the other pages on these sites, much info can be found there about the Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

I use a pin brush, a slicker brush and a greyhound comb (with fine and coarse tines on it). When shedding the slicker and comb work the best for me.

I say that corgis shed a little more than labs do. My son has a labrador and well, I think the corgis shed more. Especially when blowing coat.

Peggy

7. Michael Romanos

Peggy you are again mistaken and show up some naivety concerning dogs in general and you also make so a silly comparison between Labs and Corgis. - but I am gracious enough to put you on the right track:

All dogs shed. The so-called shed less breeds is actually a misnomer in terminology. They do shed but just a little and with very fine hair and so their coats are usually trimmed at some stage or stages during the course of a year because of the little shedding that they do.

I have it from Cardigan breeders and breeders of both Cardis and Pems whom I respect, that the coarser coats of the typical Cardi is a little less subject to the amount of shedding of a typical Pembroke.with a finer/softer coat. I am prepared to believe what these perhaps more observant and experienced breeders and owners say in this matter. The typical Cardi does not have a "same type of coat" to that of a typical Pem. The texture is somewhat different.

I don't know why Peggy is comparing a Corgi with a Labrador as far a coat shedding is concerned. They are totally different coated.

MR likes this

8. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Oh my, I'm just speechless. Sheesh!

Funny that's not what the owners of terriers tell me, or my professional groomer friends. And by the way my husband has owned a Scottie. Over the years we've also onwned a couple of whippets, and a Keeshond, besides both corgi breeds and a couple shelties. I've also shown (which means I've groomed them too) several other breeds.

I've lived with/raised/shown Pembrokes since 1980. We got our first Cardi in the late 80's. I've LIVED with and groomed both breeds. They have the same type coats. The Pem coat is NOT finer/softer than the typical Cardigan coat.

Oh are they? A Labrador has a double coat too. It's just shorter than what we see on either corgi breed. Lab people think their dogs shed quite a bit, and well, they do. But trust me, a corgi sheds more.

Maybe it's you who needs more experience with dogs of different breeds and coats. I've been around many, many dogs of many different breeds since the early 80's. I've got friends (who are also breeders and exhibitors) of many breeds. I respect them and their opinions. I've helped some of them with their dogs at shows. I know what I'm talking about and if you choose not to believe it, well then so be it, but I'm taking from years of living WITH both breeds of corgis and a few other breeds too.

I will not be commenting on this topic any further. The readers can choose who they would like to believe.

Peggy

9. Michael Romanos

Many dog breeds have double coats and triple coats - but that does not make their coats similar- Labrador coats for instance are very different from Corgis that it bears no comparison.

All dogs shed whether it is very noticeable, hardly noticeable or goes un-noticed.

If a person who didn't know a thing about dogs was told that the type of coat, the texture of the coat, and the size of a dog are parts of the reasons for the amount of shedding that dogs do, then they would agree that these are all reasonable assumptions. Only Peggy finds them not reasonable. So much for owning Cardis, Perms and other assorted breeds.

Here is a list of some of the very light dog shedders:

TERRIERS - Airdale, American Hairless, Australian, Bedlington, Black Russian, Border, Cairn, Cesky, Dandie Dinmont, Glen of Imaal, Irish, Kerry Blue, Scottish, Sealyham, Lakeland, Manchester, Norfolk, Norwich, Silky, Soft-Coated Wheaten, Tibetan, Welsh, West Highland White, Wirehaired, Yorkshire.

Affenpinscher, American/Spanish/Irish/Portuguese Water Dogs, Basenji, Bergamasco, Bichon Frise, Bichon Yorkie, Bolognese, Bouvierdes Flandres, Brussels Griiffon, Chacy Ramor,
    Chi-Poo, Chinese Crested, Cockapoo, Cotende Tulear, Doodleman Pincher, Schnauzer Giant/Miniature/Standard, Hairless Khaia, Havanese, Italian Greyhound, Komondor, Labradoodle, Lagotto Romagnoio, Puli, Schnoodle, Shepadoodle, Lhasa Apso, Lowchen, Maltese, Maiti-Poo, Mi-Ki, Poodle Miniature/Toy/Standard, Peruvian Inca Orchard, Petot Basset Griffon Vendeen, Polish Owczarek Nizinny, Poos, Shicon, Shih-Tzu, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, Xoioitzcuintle.

My apologies for any spelling errors.

MR likes this

10. Frodo's Mom

Frodo's Mom Senior Member

Definition of gracious - 'very polite in a way that shows respect'

Michael - call yourself other things, but do not consider yourself gracious in any way shape or form

11. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

Why don't you (two) just get a room? :run:

12. Cheetah

Cheetah Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I feel like we've all had this argument before lol.

Coincidentally, I regularly bathe a Cardigan (Cleo) and a Pem (Maggie) one right after the other at my job, every few weeks. Their coats are exactly the same. When one corgi is blowing coat, so is the other one, and they both make it snow when I blow-dry/de-shed them.

13. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Are you asking me?

Peggy

14. DatCorgi

DatCorgi Junior Member

I have a stressful problem with my corgi shedding to the degree where there's hair on my clothes if I pet her or get in contact. Any suggestion? She's 6months old

15. DatCorgi

DatCorgi Junior Member

I also have a problem with shedding to the degree where its everywhere around the house, any suggestion?

16. PJ657311

PJ657311 Senior Member

The simple undeniable truth is ... Got Corgi? Got hair. Everywhere! :shake3:

17. Michael Romanos

Dat Corgi - go back to the second posting in this thread.

If your Corgi is shedding more profusely that he/she should, a change to a more quality-driven diet or a diet with emphasis on skin and coat enhancing should help.

MR likes this.

18. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

You've got that right, PJ. During Duncan's blow seasons, we usually name the clumps of hair we find.

I was at the vets once, and a woman was there getting her pet (it had some kind of surgery) when she asked me about corgis. As I was listing the positive things about corgis, after every item; I would say, they shed. After about 10 times, she started giggling and said are you trying to say they shed? I replied, oh, I didn't mention that. And before I hear from Michael, yes, I listed the negative things about corgis, what few I can think of; and made sure she knew they aren't just for anyone.

19. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

There are easy ways to extreme ways to keep dog shedding down to a minimum. But, which ever means you try, dogs shed their fur in response not necessarily to temperature but length of day...As the days get longer, less fur. So, in essence, unless you want to raise your corgis in the basement like mushrooms, that soft white undercoat will come out, more in the spring, less in the fall and winter.

My neighbor has "Bichons" who hardly shed a hair...Maybe, you can trade?

20. Michael Romanos

Corgi shedding is often exaggerated and the only things that i can think of why possibly some Corgis are 'over-shedding' is that so many owners offer second rate care and or that they have Corgis live in conditions that do not suit Corgis such as hot or high humid weather or too often in the sun. or too stressed-out or have skin and allergy conditions. Food is a big factor.

Many breeds of dogs shed a lot of hairs and Corgis are one of these but Corgis being only small dogs are less a issue in this regard than many of the bigger dog breeds. If you want to test this out -keep a bag of your Corgi's loose hairs for a year and compare this with a bag of loose hairs from a Rough Coated Collie, Keeshond, Chow Chow, Lakeland Terrier, Belgiun Terrier, Malamute, Siberian Husky, Akita, Old English Sheepdog etc etc and if they are in a similar climate with similar health and similar food then which bag is going to have more hairs?

MR likes this