Corgi Shedding

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by Aryankiu, May 14, 2014.

1. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Congratulations, you own a corgi! Brush the dog a couple times a week, use a pin or slicker brush and brush against the grain.

You say she's only 6 mos. old? Well, you haven't seen shedding yet. The spring or fall closest to her being a year old she'll blow her coat. Take a look at the link below (this dog was purposely left unbrushed when he begin tufting to take these pictures):
    http://www.terenelf.com/SpockShedding/Shedding.html

Peggy

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

The more you brush and comb a Corgi the better the results. Twice a day sessions if you want to be extra diligent (instead of once daily or every second day) and raise the grooming time to several minutes instead of a few minutes. But if there is a over-shedding situation, then fixing the cause will ultimately reduce the amount of shedding.

MR likes this

3. One thing that helped when Spock had his first "coat blow" was giving him a bath and then brushing as soon as he was dry enough. The fur would come out in huge clumps! I did do it outside. Some people advocate vacuuming a Corgi, but I don't do that with Spock. He hates the vacuum.

4. Michael Romanos

Most Corgis can become either neutral or find enjoyable blow drying (at a low heat) and even being vacuumed (at a low pressure). But vacuuming a dog's coat is not an alternative to grooming because grooming (brushing and combing) achieves so much more than simply removing loose hairs.

MR likes this

5. Pamela

Pamela Junior Member

Just discovered this, may be a helpful 'tip'. First of all, my sofa and loveseat are made of that microfiber faux suede, which I like because the dog hair does not get imbedded like it does with other woven fabrics. Until a few days ago (when I adopted a 2 1/2 yr old Pembroke), my dogs were both elderly (Border Collie 15+ and my other Pembroke who passed in Feb. at almost 16) and hadn't been able to jump up on the furniture for some time. The new Corgi gets up on the couch. I decided to try the Swiffer wand type duster, thinking that if I worked up some static with it, it might pick up the hair. IT DID. Now, I just "Swiffer" the couch daily and it does a pretty darn good job.

6. Pamela

Pamela Junior Member

View attachment 8721 New member here: Forgive me if I missed something. I've scanned through these replies and have not seen mention of the good old fashioned "Shedding Blade" (pictured here). Perhaps they have fallen out of favor? I used this for 15 years on my previous Corgi (RIP 'Bob"). It gently pulled all that dead, loose undercoat out, and he didn't mind it a bit.

Attached Files:

7. Michael Romanos

There are four issues with allowing dogs on your couch/sofa.

1/ Loose hairs
    2/ dirt etc from a slightly less that spotlessly clean dog - esp feet, belly and bottom. It could be likened to a person placing his/her shoes or boots on your furniture.
    3/ Less than well mannered when at someone else's home.
    4/ Nails damaging couch surface and any licking/biting aspects.

MR likes this

8. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

"...the good old fashioned "Shedding Blade"..." Huh, that's an interesting tool, Pamela. I've never seen one before. Probably works well, too, I bet.

I simply wipe my two pems with a large, clean, damp cloth after every workout (min 2 to 3 times per day) and I use my hands and rub against the grain at least once per day to help lift any loose fur. This keeps them shiny and clean at all times, no need to bathe or shampoo, no need to brush and keeps my house (and car seats) reasonably clean, all year. Before, I started this grooming routine, my pems use to have small clumps of dead fur protruding from their haunches all the time...I hated that unkempt look. Also, besides the obvious benefits, daily walking keeps the shedding to a minimum and their nails trimmed, naturally.

If you don't deal with their loose fur, pems will deal with it, themselves. These dogs will roll on their backs whenever they get the chance and, often times, in the worst of places.

9. Pamela

Pamela Junior Member

Michael, while I understand and agree that your four issues (allowing dogs on couch/sofa) as stated above have significant merit, one should understand that circumstances may differ from household to household and from dog to dog. Cleaniness and protection of the furniture is a factor, so also is the personality of the dog. I would never allow an alpha, bossy dog on the furniture or the bed. My previous posts were meant to be merely 'helpful tips' for hair control on furniture. This, gleaned from almost 62 years of living with dogs and 25 years in the veterinary field. Some of my dogs were allowed on the couch and some were not. The posts were certainly not meant to advocate for allowing dogs on the couch, but as help for those who do...and I assure you, plenty of people let their dogs sit on the couch. I do allow our highly compliant, non-bossy Corgi on the couch and here's why; my husband is disabled and highly immobile.

Our previous Corgi was my husband's constant companion and a source of great comfort to him. The Corgi sat with him --on the couch--. My husband was devastated and became depressed when the dog died. Personally, I don't give a rat's behind about dealing with hair on the couch, having to clean more often, and having less than pristine furniture if it helps my husband have a better quality of life. The happiness of my husband is more important to me than wear and tear on the furniture.

Therefore, I allow the Corgi to sit on the couch. The trade-off just means being more diligent about cleaning, grooming, and making sure that the dog is protected against fleas and ticks. We all make our own choices dependent on our life circumstances, and canine companions can make life happier for those whose lives may be otherwise boring and dismal.

10. Michael Romanos

That's a fine emotive 'speech' Pamela even if I cannot agree with its contents.

I am a regular Corgi caretaker for people who leave their precious Corgis with me and none are allowed in the house until they are towelled wiped (feet and tummy) and if necessary bottom cleaned with baby wipes. So the towelling can occur several times a day. Very few over the years have sought to jump up on beds or couches/chairs so that must be how they are led to respect things in their own homes. Brother and sister Pems that I often look after will both jump up on me when i am seated in the evenings in front of the tv set - and sometimes together so that i have a crowded chair of a fairly diminutive me with a pair of obstructing but lovely Corgis 'fighting' to get into comfortable positions.

MR likes this