Corgi Shedding

Discussion in 'Before You Buy a Puppy' started by Corgi Hopeful, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Corgi Hopeful

Corgi Hopeful New Member

Hello! Recently, I have been looking at dogs that would be a good fit for our home. Out of all the dogs I researched, Corgis seemed the best fit: Family friendly, not too big, easy to train, playful. However, they do shed, which I do not mind, but several members of my family do (I am aware Cardigans and Pembrokes are different in personality and shedding, or so I've heard). I know all dogs will shed, and Corgis especially. However, if they are fed a good diet and groomed and bathed frequently (and anything else you can think of) will their shedding still be so much in excess? And if it is, do you know of any reliable hair cleanup methods? Thank you for your time!

2. ZeldaTheCorgi

ZeldaTheCorgi Member

Corgi's shed a lot. You will be amazed at how much fur is in your home. But the good news is that it's easy to manage if you stay on top of it. You need to invest in a good vacuum, preferably a bagless vacuum that is easy to empty and clean. Get one with some kind of furniture attachment because you will need to vacuum your couches relatively often. Corgis blow their coat twice per year and it will be best to take your corgi to a groomer to have them remove most of the fur. Otherwise, regular brushing and bathing will help minimize shedding. Brush after the coat is cleaned, this will remove the most fur. We have our corgi on grain free food and she has a very healthy coat. We feed her Canidae's Pure line of food, supplemented with raw treats (like carrots). Also, get a hammock style backseat cover for your car to help protect your interior and catch most of the fur (and dirt). If you keep up on vacuuming (usually twice per week, more when they are blowing their coat) including the couches (once per week) and clean your car as needed, the fur will be manageable. Get some lint rollers and keep your corgi away from piles of clean laundry.

3. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Corgis do shed - some more than others. How much they shed depends on many things including coat type, skin health, food, climate, anxiety/stress. artificial heating, inside or outside, happiness, general health, appropriate exercising. Groom every other day for a few minutes helps and bath several times a year including at the peak of their twice yearly major shed. A teaspoon of coconut oil three times a week may help lessen shedding.

Never feed 100% dry (kibble and biscuit) as a mealtime meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) - mixture of dry, wet ( dog canned food , dog roll) and vegetables. Veggies are best fresh and either raw or slightly boiled, steamed or micowaved with a snall amount of water. The list of suitable vegetables is lengthy. With corn - loose corn only (or remove from cob) and very well boiled, say up to 30 min. Occasional additional alternatives are cooked eggs, fresh meat cooked. cooked rice, cooked pasta, cooked potato.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  4. fromperpig

fromperpig Member

"...will their shedding still be so much in excess?...".

In a word, "Yeah". And, the degree of shedding has much to do with the climate the dog (and you), resides. Since, I live in SoCal, my normal coated pem sheds a great deal. My semi-fluffy pem (less dense undercoat), on the other hand, sheds half as much. Then again, since a live a half- mile from the beach, my dogs may shed less then dogs that live in hotter areas of California.

Please read this link to learn about single coat vs double coated dogs (corgis) and why some owners may be doing their dog harm by "shaving" their dog's fur off during warmer months...

https://albertnorthvetclinic.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/shaving-your-dogs-coat-should-you-or-shouldnt-you/ (Shaving your dog’s coat – should you or shouldn’t you?)

5. Michael Romanos

Corgis are small dogs esp Pems and shed much less coat volume than do dogs that are bigger and also are moderately well coated.

As i stated on a previous thread my shortish coated Corgi sheds more than my luxurious coated Corgi. So other factors come into it.

Certainly double coated and triple coated/ normal coated Corgis should never be trimmed apart from the hairs between and around the pads of their feet.
    But fluffies can be trimmed for the warmer months and around the skirt/pants/trousers area. There is no such thing as a semi-fluffy Corgi - there are degrees of normal coats from shortish to thick/luxuriant. I prefer the latter to the former but in climates that are not really suitable for Corgis, a shorter coat is so much preferable. Corgis like it best when the temperatures are 9c-15c (46F -60F).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  6. Corgi Hopeful

Corgi Hopeful New Member

Thank you so much! I will look into these.

7. fromperpig

fromperpig Member

Thanks Mike. I've informed my semi-fluffy that he will be referred to as "luxurious" from this point forward.

He was quite pleased with the change. oy vey...

8. Michael Romanos

Luxurious coated is just a glamorised expression of thickly coated - plenty of it. But it might be a little more accurate than saying "semi-fluffy" which in dog terms signifies a faulty coat.

In New Zealand in the past few years the German Shepherds in the show ring have been separated into two breeds - German Shepherds ie shortish coat/normal coat and long coated German Shepherds. I don't really agree with this separation as both "types" of GS are still the same apart from coat length.