Corgi smells wet

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by ratgirl610, Jul 25, 2013.

1. ellydruid

ellydruid Senior Member

Nevermind that logic dictates that dogs would naturally have issues with grains. They're simply not made to consume and process them. Think about the diet these animals are naturally equipped to acquire - can dogs harvest, mill and prepare grains? They're not exactly edible straight from the leaf for most carnivore/omnivore species..... They have short digestive tracts which do not lend themselves well to the longer digestive time required by complex carbohydrates, nevermind the inherent protective toxins all grains have to prevent them from being consumed. These produce an inflammatory immune response, allergic or not, in most creatures that consume them.

I have had great success in switching our dogs to a grain free food and adding the occasional coconut oil to their diet. It's not a regular thing, just when I am the one feeding and I remember to do it. When we switched to grain free, our doxie even lost his usual 'corn chip' smell and he only gets it now when he's had bread or chips. Merlin was smelly too for a bit but that seems to have gone away as he's grown.

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I know that. But since a member of the list insists there is such a list, I was showing that it's not available. Notice no list or source of a list- as in names and links; are ever provided by that member.

Which is exactly what my son did with his Labrador, on my advice. And this advice was confirmed when I ask other Lab owners about yeasty ears in Labs. His dog does fine on a grain free food but if he gets any grains, he has ear problems again.

I agree. And notice the statement is now "that is your version". Once again, "my version" is nowhere as good as his. And I totally disagree with that statement.

Peggy

3. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Not just logic, look at the teeth. Dogs have teeth made for ripping and tearing. Horses have teeth made for grinding. Animals have teeth made for the food they are supposed to eat and do well on. If dogs were meant to eat grains, they would have teeth made for grinding.

More logic.... ;)

I've had good success with grain free diets too. But hey what do we know? Even though I feed several dogs a day every day and have for over 30 years.

Peggy

4. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Ellyruid - domestic fogs are not "natural" beings and most have not been so for a few thousand years. Many, many items of food are exceptionally good for dogs that wild dogs, wolves and foxes have no access to - and some of the grains are part of what is good for most if not all dogs.

Michael Romanos likes thus

5. Gally

Gally Senior Member

As promised

Dog Allergies:

The original quote I posted was from here: Food Allergies & Food Intolerance in Dogs

"In a study of 278 cases of food allergies in dogs where the problem ingredient was clearly identified, beef was by far the biggest culprit (95 cases). Dairy was number two at 55 cases. Wheat came in third with 42 cases. Soy and corn were actually minimal offenders, coming in at 13 and 7 cases, respectively.
    In fact, protein sources are more often to blame than grains. Beef, dairy, chicken, egg, lamb, soy, pork and fish were responsible for 231 of the food allergies, while wheat, corn and rice combined accounted for only 54. (Some dogs were allergic to more than one ingredient, which is why these numbers total more than 278.)"
    Food Allergy Myths | petMD

"Most food-allergic dogs are hypersensitive to only one or two ingredients, with beef and dairy proteins topping the culprit list. Ingredients that may also cause problems - but not as often - include grains, pork, chicken, eggs, and fish."
    "25 dogs with histories and cutaneous signs consistent with food-allergic dermatitis. PROCEDURE--Dogs were fed a food-elimination diet until resolution of clinical signs and then challenged with their original diet. A diagnosis of food allergy was made if there was complete return of pruritus within 14 days of challenge exposure. After diagnosis, dogs were fed the food-elimination diet until signs related to dietary challenge abated. The dogs then were fed beef, chicken, chicken eggs, cows' milk, wheat, soy, and corn in single-ingredient provocation trials for 1 week. Any cutaneous reactions to these food ingredients were recorded by their owners. RESULTS--Beef and soy most often caused adverse cutaneous reactions, although all ingredients induced clinical signs in at least 1 dog."
    pet food intolerance and allergies in dogs and cats

Dog's Ability to Digest Grains:

"More surprising were genes for digesting starch. Dogs had four to 30 copies of the gene for amylase, a protein that starts the breakdown of starch in the intestine. Wolves have only two copies, one on each chromosome. As a result, that gene was 28-fold more active in dogs, the researchers found. More copies means more protein, and test-tube studies indicate that dogs should be fivefold better than wolves at digesting starch, the chief nutrient in agricultural grains such as wheat and rice. The number of copies of this gene also varies in people: Those eating high carbohydrate diets -- such as the Japanese and European Americans -- have more copies than people with starch-poor diets, such as the Mbuti in Africa. "We have adapted in a very similar way to the dramatic changes that happened when agriculture was developed," Axelsson says."

Note: These amylase enzymes are created in the pancrease which means the grain must be already cooked and broken down for the dog to be able to extract nutrients from it.

Diet Shaped Dog Domestication | Science/AAAS | News

"Most mammals produce amylase in the saliva, but dogs and cats do not. This reflects their expected diet of meat and organs from prey. Herbivores and omnivores have flat molars that crush and chew food, but the carnivore’s dentition is perfectly designed to capture and kill prey, and to rip and tear meat from bone. Carnivores don’t spend much time chewing; nor do they consume many carbohydrates, so there is no need for amylase in the mouth."

Digestive Enzymes | IVC Journal