Corgis and the baths they should be getting

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by Michael Romanos, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

A Go Corgi member recently stated that it was wrong or un-necessary to give a Corgi a bath presumably even on an every three months (quarterly) basis because of the Corgis double coat.

I would question this. There are many occasions outside a three monthly cycle when Corgis should be fully bathed and there is no harm done to their coats.
    Firstly, quality dog shampoos over the past dozen years or so are very safe and excel in replenishing and assisting towards a healthy skin and coat whether the dog's coat is single or double. Further to this the massaging of a dog when applying the shampoo to get right into the coat, is great for the skin and gives a good and pleasant feeling to the recipient.

Corgis should be groomed with a brush and comb at least every other day for about five minutes. And during the twice yearly major shed, they could very well receive a bath which will greatly assist in ridding a Corgi of a great dollop of loose hairs during the bath and subsequent grooming process.

Of course if a Corgi gets real dirty or stinky from some outside experiences, a bath will be in order at any time. Following a bath in less than warm and sunny conditions, I use a blow dryer on my Pem, Taylor after having initially towelled his dripping coat.

Some Corgi owners bath their Corgis monthly which is fine. But Taylor is largely indoors, and when outdoors usually avoids anything that is going to produce a dirty or smelly coat. As well he is groomed almost dally and not allowed inside the house unless his feet (and tummy) are cleaned with a towel. So Taylor usually gets no more than four baths a year.

If he was in conformation shows however and when something special crops up like a photo shoot or tv advert, he would be bathed more often as a bath with good quality dog shampoo is great for the coat to shine/gleam, feel softish and clean to touch and appear healthy and full.

There is nothing much worse than a dog that smells and some breeds of dogs have a natural strong smell which fortunately most Corgis don't share. However, a Corgi will smell if not bathed regularly or when necessary - and their owners may not be the best judges of when a pong sets in because they may have become "immune" to a slowly increasing day by day smell or stench.

I have had Corgis stay over at my home in definite need of a bath and if they are staying long enough i give them the bath that they should have had before being delivered to my doorstep.

2. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

I am struggling with how to respond to this,I am one of those people that believes that you don't bath a dog unless it is necessary. My dogs have a coat that is genetically designed to repel water, shed dirt, keep them warm or cool as needed, yes they shed, but I find that during a vigorous game of tug I can "pull " the hair out of them, Abbie smells a bit when she is wet but Ben never does,I have talked to my vet,Bensons breeder, the Edmonton humane society,I have read articles on Canada's guide to dogs, the list goes on, basically they lead me to the same conclusion, less is better, only bathe when necessary.Personally I cannot stand perfumes/scents of any kind, they send me into a sneezing,weeping eye fit,perhaps my thinking is based on that reasoning though I doubt it, my thought is this, bathe your dog when necessary.

3. Michael Romanos

I wouldn't bath a dog weekly unless there were special reasons, but quality dog shampoo used in the correct manner has more benefits to the health of a dog's skin and coat than otherwise. There are a multitude of shampoos - shampoos that have no perfumic scent. Dog breeds with double coats are usually dogs within the working/herding group and the Arctic circle outdoor breeds (such as Huskies) as a double coat is a guard/protection against weather conditions. A double coat has nothing to do with being a reason why a bathing a dog is not necessary - the necessity of a bath can be for many reasons. Ok the natural oils in a dog's coat are affected by a full bath but they very quickly get replenished and we have many shampoos especially the herbal variety that are beneficial to a dog's skin and coat.
    I am using Saint Francis Natural Aroma Care Lavender and Rosemary which also contains coconut oil, and apart from anything else repels insects.

4. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Duncan and Chloe get a bath when they get their nails clipped. It's easier for me, although Duncan doesn't have an odor at all. Chloe, on the other hand, she gets that doggie smell quite easily. She is usually ready for a good bath every 3 months. Duncan is my little dirt boy, he loves the mud and such. So, by that time, he needs a bath to get the deep down dirt off of him.

5. pat_m

pat_m Senior Member

Byron and Fergie get a bath once a month - more often if needed.

As with many issues, there is no right or wrong answer here - It's a matter of what you want to do.

6. TheChubbyOne

TheChubbyOne Senior Member

Agree with Pat. I love the smell of a "freshly bathed dog" though. I have no experience of a dog's bath frequency in Singapore's climate but I suspect it would require a bathing of no more than 2 months.

7. Michael Romanos

There is actually a "wrong " with neglecting to bath a dog or grooming a dog when there is a necessity - and the necessity may be for the benefit and health of the dog, the benefit towards other people (who may not appreciate a dog that pongs or looks filthy/dirty or has a matted coat) and purely out of respect for your dog.

8. Tesrey

Tesrey Senior Member

Pete has only had one bath in the two and 1/2 years since I've owned him. He rolled in hawk poop and had it all over the place.

Other than that he has never gotten dirty enough to warrant one. His feet and legs have gotten dirty but it wipes off with a wet towel. He never smells bad (even his breath) and I don't see a need to give him a bath just because.

9. Michael Romanos

Troy - you either have a miracle Corgi, your Corgi swims in clean lakes, rivers and streams or you don't realise the actual condition of your Corgi's coat. It is unlikely to be in the pristine and softish textured condition it could be and is probably oily when you run your hand over it and could have some dander.
    You don't need to have a visibly dirty dog in order to give him/her a bath. There are benefits to giving a dog a bath other than simply for cleanliness.

10. HappyPenny

HappyPenny Senior Member

Michael, it's only your opinion, stop trying to bully everyone into believing it. .
    Corgis were designed to have a weather and dirt resistant fur. While some dogs do get dirty and smelly, others are lucky enough not to.
    I find that walking in tall wet grass removed any dirt Penrith might get on himself. He gets a proper bath when I feel like he needs one, last time it happened was in February and next time will probably happen around the same time next year.
    For my retriever, a bath is necessary every other month even if he swims in the lake. He gets very dirty and smelly. Penrith gets neither dirt nor stink in his fur and we are both happy he doesn't need bathing too often.

11. Cardiguy

Cardiguy Senior Member

Ruby gets bathed every 6 months or so, been doing this for the past 11 yrs. with no issues, she looks clean and feels good. Plus she hates getting bathed and gets stressed in the process. Unless she rolls in something nastly, this timetable works for us and her.

12. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

there was one post earlier that led one to
    believe that it was unhealthy( since deleted?) not to bathe your dog regularly,this got me on a search, i could not find anything to lead me to believe this was true, most everything suggested that bathing a dog was unneccesary unless there were a medical reason for doing so, it seems to be a personal choice. My dogs don't get a bath unless needed. In the climate we live in the air is generally very dry, so to strip the protective oils off my dogs coat, just so I don't offend someone with their " waxy" feeling coat,( it feels waxy because of those naturally occuring oils, this can easily be looked up on the web) seems silly.I have noticed that their coats actually change due to the weather conditions,right now the humidity is up, the temps are up, both dogs have dry fluffy looking coats, if it rains tomorrow their coats will be flat,wet looking, should it snow their coats will be fluffed up and white....., a note to Troy, you mean after two and a half years you don't know your dog's coat,poor Pete,he is just crying for a bathe, better do it quick or else he's going to live his life in shame because you don't respect him,Gawd, people on here should only post their opinions on here as facts if they have the facts to back them up,

13. Michael Romanos

The warmer the climate the more often a dog needs a bath. Among other things, dog shampoos should contain insect and bug repellent substances - repelling flies, mossies tics, fleas,midges etc. Recently there seems to be a new kind of mosquito in the state of Texas that is killing people - might also be a dog killer too.

It is silly to say "it is only my opinion" because there is so much available material on the subject.

14. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

it is not silly to say"in my opinion" as it differentiates your opinion from fact!

15. Michael Romanos

Is it "fact" that you don't need to bath or groom a dog?

In the wild, dogs never got a bath - and they generally had all kinds of skin and coat disorders and infestations and were not fit for inside living or living with humans. And in times not far removed from now, dogs skin and coats were subjected to harm from been accorded a bath but now we have scientifically formulated dog shampoos that can enhance a dog's coat and skin. Whilst dogs have their own ideas what smells they prefer to carry on their coat/bodies, it is believed that most dogs enjoy being in a state of cleanliness -like shortly after a bath - when they might not appear to enjoy the bath itself.

Taylor hides when he knows a bath is imminent but obviously enjoys the massaging of the shampoo into his coat and the towelling later. And I am sure he goes around with a more blissful air/gait like he is saying I feel nice and really really clean. - now that is only the opinion of me and my family.

16. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

very nice, that is your opinion thanks for admitting it, I now have to run and give Ben a bath!

17. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

SERIOUSLY?!?

There is NO "new" mosquito in Texas killing people-it is West Nile Virus. West Nile Virus is transmitted/carried by mosiquitos. Texas is having a bad, bad outbreak and in many areas of the US it was predicted this would be a banner year for it (and other things), since there was a mild winter in many areas and many more mosquito's survived than would normally. West Nile Virus has been in the US (yes is fatal to some) since 1999. It is not NEW. Dogs and cats can become infected, but seem not to be susceptible to it.

CDC: West Nile Virus - QA: West Nile Virus and Dogs and Cats

As for bathing...unless the dog is a show dog or there is another compelling reason, there is no reason to bath a dog any more than once a month. If people go longer than that so what? It won't kill the dog. It won't make him/her sick. It won't cause people who come into contact with the dog to become sick. For some dogs brushing keeps them perfectly clean and there is NO reason to give a bath unless the dog is smelly, dirty, or there is a real reason (medical, show dog, etc) to do so.

18. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

wow another person who thinks along the lines I do,cool.I am not alone.

19. Tesrey

Tesrey Senior Member

Pete lives in the house with all of us, and believe me if he was lacking in hygiene (aka dirty) he would get a bath. While not an "expert dog trainer" I have had them all of my life and know when it is bath time.

20. Michael Romanos

Kevan - you are cheeky. LaRouge says there is no need to bath a dpg more than once a month and you agree with him/her but you are the one who doesn't like bathing a dog regularly - and regularly in my book is once every three months. You also don't think a double coated dog such as a Corgi needs or should have a bath on a regular basis. I think you need to go back to what you had initially stated and implied.

Hygiene is only part of the equation when it comes to arranging for dogs to have a complete bath. Professional dog groomers would be out of work if there were too many Troys and Kevens around.

The West Nile virus is new to me but currently the USA is experiencing its worse ever outbreak - at least 190 people affected in Texas and at least 10 people dead. The virus has also affected and killed people in other states in the US. The main carrier of the West Nile virus is the mosquito and fortunately it (the virus) is unknown in New Zealand.