Corgis and the baths they should be getting

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by Michael Romanos, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Snowberry

Snowberry Senior Member

I beg to differ with your comment to Troy. My Willow has had 3 baths in FOUR years. Her coat is the clean, soft-textured, and sweet smelling. She does NOT swim in lakes, rivers or streams and is NOT oily in any way. (People have actually asked me how I keep her white markings so white.) My other corgi, Chloe, does need bathed more as her coat does build up an oily feel every few months, though that has been improved by better diet (she is a rescue that we adopted last year).

Bathing is necessary. How often depends on the dog and the lifestyle it leads. Bathing does wash out natural coat conditioners, which need to be replaced with a good shampoo/coat conditioner.

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Believe me there is a big difference between white markings on a Corgi that look white and those that are "whiter than white" - and giving baths with quality shampoo is the outcome of the latter. One just thinks that their Corgi coat looks perfectly clean when in fact it isn't.

The coat of a dog with a luxuriant coat takes just two-three days to completely recover from a bath and able to gleam and shine "through' its clean, healthy, unmatted and full appearance. If I needed to have Taylor at his best for a special or specific occasion , he would be bathed three days prior to the event.

Many quality shampoos for dogs do not also require conditioners as the conditioning is within the shampoo proper.

3. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Why can we not agree on the obvious? Bathe your dog when necessary! I love and care for my dogs unconditionally, I do what I feel is right for them, my pups have whiter than white, and blacker than black, I guess I must being doing something right,shhhtoonk to anyone who thinks I'm not,

4. Michael Romanos

Kevan - your premise of bathing when necessary is quite correct but we have at least two members saying that it is ok not to bath a dog for more than one year/ not apparently for more than two years. Do some owners know "when it is necessary"? What are the "signs" that necessitates giving a dog a bath? I would answer the latter by saying that the signs for warranting a bath are not always visable or as apparant to inject action by some owners.

5. Tesrey

Tesrey Senior Member

You know, in the end I will do what I feel is right and the ramblings of a very odd person across the sea mean nothing to me. My dog is so spoiled that most people would probably love to be in his shoes.

I accept advice from people that I respect, but Michael isn't one of them.

6. Michael Romanos

One of the most often things I am asked or hear from people about Taylor is how clean he looks, how do i keep him so clean, has he just had a bath - whereas he could have be gone as much as three - four months without pne. But I know he is due for a bath even if other people think differently as looks and brief touches can deceive. There is no comparison between him as an unbathed dog for three-four months and a irecently post bathed dog. Maybe it requires a trained mind.
    Taylor regularly visits hospitals, retirement homes and villages and schools. But I refrain from bathing him monthly because he no longer is in conformation showing and he is kept clean by other means and I consider monthly baths for instance over-the-top though I will not be too critical of others who do bath their Corgis monthly due to weather conditions (more baths necessary in hot weather) and general outdoor and living conditions. I would most certainly not recommend weekly baths as a matter of course and i think this would have a detrimental affect on a Corgi's coat and skin.
    However brushing and combing of the coat cannot be carried out too often within reason - twice a day would not be too often. Grooming is also great as massaging tools and one of the first things an owner should do when they get a puppy is to groom him/her. The sooner they are introduced to it the better. And this goes for giving a puppy a bath - never before they reach five weeks of age but in the hands of their new owner, the sooner the better for getting into the groove for regular baths, finding out that it is fun and not a terrifying experience.

7. Snowberry

Snowberry Senior Member

Yes, I stand by my statement that "it is OK to NOT bath a dog unless necessary." There is no statute of limitation of that period of time. I think I am qualified to know if my dogs need bathed or not.

As to validity my opinion, I have 50 years experience in the dog world. I trained my first dog at the age of 11, went to work at a boarding kennel at the age of 13. I apprenticed as a dog GROOMER and later owned my own salon. Have trained numerous dogs of various breeds for both obedience and show and competed in many events, bred a number of litters (and mentored all puppy purchasers), have shown in hundreds of dog shows (at one time owner-handled a Belgian Tervuren that ranked in the top 5 of his breed for 3 1/2 years), was employed as an executive field inspector for the American Kennel Club, and for the last 10 years followed the dog circuit as a vendor. I have also belonged to numerous kennel clubs along the way and served in every capacity (from including president, training instructor and show chairman).

8. Michael Romanos

I had previously thought that the only breed of dog that doesn't get a bath is the Pekingese - and my mother owned one for 15 years and I had exhibited her (the dog) at conformation shows earlier in her life. But it is not true these days and Pekes are subjected to full-on baths due to the vast improvement in quality dog shampoos. Pekes require daily grooming of upwards of 30 minutes and they are smothered/sprinkled with lavender, rose water and other concoctions.

There is no Corgi that I have ever been associated with or seen who doesn't warrant a bath less regularly than a few times a year and whilst we all have our standards, I would not be advising a new Corgi owner not to bath their dogs on a regular cycle basis of say every three months which could also include bathing during a major shed and also bathing when necessary outside this routine and I would not suggest to them or imply that once a year or so or once every two-three years is ok. Of course there are dry bathing (spray foam etc) but this is not ideal and bears no comparison and is not a lot better than coat spot dry cleaning.

I am in the process of organising a large crew of Corgis to take part in the annual Wellington Xmas street parade (as part of an entry from the Wellington Welsh Corgi Walking Club) and I will be asking the owners to make sure that their Corgis have been bathed in the week or two leading up to the parade and groomed the day before or the morning of the event.

9. Sandygirl

Sandygirl Senior Member

I love this thread. I bathe my Cardi boy about once a year..in the summer. He got a bath yesterday. I brush him a couple of times a week. He loves to be brushed! In fact, Fin RUNS toward me when I hold up the brush. He is a pleasure to take care of and groom. He evens does well during his pedicures. I know his nails need trimmed when he starts to chew on them. Once a month or so seems to be the timing on toenail trims.

thanks for the many views and posts on this subject.
    Sandy

10. Thantos

Thantos Junior Member

Well this should really blow everyone's mind as Sushi gets a shower every month during the summer! She has a routine where pretty much everyday she goes and plays in her doggie pool and then goes and rolls in the sand until she is a giant furry sand cookie.

And let me tell you this is not a five minute thing, this behavior goes on for hours, and hours..... pool, splash, splash, splash......sand, roll, roll, roll..... pool, splash, splash, splash......sand, roll, roll, roll...... pool, splash, splash, splash......sand, roll, roll, roll..... pool, splash, splash, splash......sand, roll, roll, roll.......SQUIRREL ! ! !

I attribute this to her many trips to the ocean and playing in the water and sand at the beach, and the fact that its gets up to 107 degrees during our summer. But after about three to four weeks of this she gets pretty smelly and its time for a shower with daddy!

During the winter its about every two months then a shower, as she goes from being the giant furry sand monster to the mud puddle splashing queen! So basically she gets bathed as her hygiene calls for it!

11. Michael Romanos

Before the end of the day following a swim in seawater, a Corgi should either be rinsed/drenched with fresh water or be given a (clean) fresh water swim in order to remove salt water. Sea water is detrimental to the coat and skin. By the same token sea water is excellent for a Corgi's feet especially should there be any eczema .

12. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

I'll give my two Pems a bath once a year after our summer camping trip...maybe.

Corgi's are the perfect size dog to easily and quickly wipe down with a warm, wet, clean towel. By cleaning my dogs, daily, I've found there's no need to brush or bathe them. They don't get weird skin ailments. It cuts way down on fleas. Their ears remain clean and ear mite-free. Plus, their markings remains bright and shiny all the time. With proper diet & exercise, the benefits of daily cleaning is really spectacular!

Pems are not a breed of dog; They're a lifestyle!

13. Michael Romanos

A very good idea from Wuz. I do believe though that brushing and combing is more effective for coat grooming and less-loose hair maintenance (as opposed to coat cleanliness) than a wipe down with a wet cloth.

Michael Romanos likes this

14. dnacyan

dnacyan Junior Member

Hi all,

I have been lurking on the forum for a while while doing my research on dogs. No prior pet experience at all.

In regards to baths, I have been reading that a Corgi's coat is "self-cleaning" and that any dirt typically tends to fall off after a short period of time and the coat will look clean once again.

When I saw first the thread title, I was thinking a bath once a month would probably be what most owners would do, but I was surprised to see many owners bathing their dogs once or twice a year (or not even).

My question is, does looking clean equate to being clean? Dirt/sand aside, how about bacterial and germs?

For example, one's hands could appear clean and odour free, but could be covered in bacterial and germs.

Would be great if I can get some insight.

Thanks and cheers!

15. Michael Romanos

A very good question and I have been attempting to address this with Corgi owners who don't bath their Corgis as often as they should.
    Just because a Corgi looks and feels clean doesn't mean that they are not in need of a bath.
    AS I first stated a Corgi in usual circumstances needs to be shampoo-bathed 2-4 times a year. This is the recommendation for the type of coat that a Corgi has. My Taylor gets two-three baths a year and right up to the point of a bath he looks and feels remarkably clean. There is a difference though between clean and exceptionally clean. And after a bath he becomes exceptionally clean and his white marking become whiter than white.. But baths are not just for the coat - they are for the skin just as much and skin care is very important.
    Corgis coats can vary in texture, length, oiliness and dryness if any of the latter two things are present then baths and more regular become more important.
    The food a Corgi eats makes a lot of difference to a Corgi's skin and coat.
    If a Corgi has a smelly coat - it could be skin related or it could be that they have attempted to perfume themselves (rolling in something ). With the latter 'spot' cleaning rather than a bath could suffice.

Michael Romanos likes this

16. dnacyan

dnacyan Junior Member

Thanks for the advice!

17. dannbarbery

dannbarbery Junior Member

We bathe our dog, Corby, once or twice a month. He doesn't really like taking a bath that much so he often runs around the bathroom when I bathe him. What we do to keep him clean is to brush his fur on most nights. He loves it a lot that's why his fur has always been smooth and tangle-free.

18. Michael Romanos

With little exception there is no good reason for a Corgi getting a dog-shampoo bath as often as once or twice a month.

Combing and brushing three or more times a week for around three minutes per session is excellent. Apart from anything else, it massages and invigorates the skin.

Allowing and encouraging a Corgi to swim in clean fresh water - lake, river or stream - is also excellent. And should be followed (if convenient) each time with dry towelling using a clean towel.

MR likes this

19. Barbriella

Barbriella Junior Member

What is this new mosquito in Texas? I'm a native Texas and I haven't even heard of it. Been here for 21 years... Maybe you are referring to the West Nile virus? Because I've never heard of a deadly regular mosquito killing people unless the person contracted West Nile from the mosquito who bit them.. Just curious since I'm a Texan. But on the subject of bathing corgis, I bathe mine whenever I feel they need it. Could be every other month or half a year. During the summer months I do bathe my older corgi the most because here in Texas the fleas get bad and no matter what flea prevention I use they seem to never work for the right amount of time as they say they should.