Crate/Exercise Pen

Discussion in 'General Puppy Discussions' started by Sunny Tampa, Feb 27, 2012.

1. TheChubbyOne

TheChubbyOne Senior Member

Chubby Potter and the Chamber of Secrets~

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Depends on the dog. Some like to be covered, maybe a sense of security for them and some like the open feeling.

If you cover a puppy (or even a dog) make sure they can't get to the covering and pull it through the wire or you'll have holes in it in no time. Some are better at this than others.

Peggy

3. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

For what it's worth, my dogs sleep in their crates. At home and when traveling they seem to prefer their plastic airline kennels.

When at shows, sometimes we use collapsible wire crates. Usually only used at ringside. Some dogs are ok with these but a few were calmer when we've used the airline kennels.

For home use for a puppy, I've always used the plastic crates.

Peggy

4. eva

eva Junior Member

Hello, I'm also buying a playpen. I plan to use it for the first couple of months. Just to be sure my puppy is safe, when I have to go to the store or something like that. I really like this one (not sure if I am allowed to link to this page)

Aluminium Laufstall aus 8 Segmenten - Alpuna

It's a metal one, 8 panels, 30 inches high, 24 inches long each, it has only vertical lines up to 2 inches apart. But as I have browsed through this forum, I found out most people use mesh playpens. Are they sturdy enough? None of the puppys chewed through? I also read some awful stuff about puppies climbing over them and/or getting their paw trapped between the wire of the mesh crates. I'm not sure what to order now ...

5. eva

eva Junior Member

Hello, I'm also buying a playpen. I plan to use it for the first couple of months. Just to be sure my puppy is safe, when I have to go to the store or something like that. I really like this one (not sure if I am allowed to link to this page)

Aluminium Laufstall aus 8 Segmenten - Alpuna

It's a metal one, 8 panels, 30 inches high, 24 inches long each, it has only vertical lines up to 2 inches apart. But as I have browsed through this forum, I found out most people use mesh playpens. Are they sturdy enough? None of the puppies chewed through? I also read some awful stuff about puppies climbing over them and/or getting their paw trapped between the wire of the mesh crates. I'm not sure what to order now ...