Crate training with Resident dogs

Discussion in 'General Puppy Discussions' started by uk52013, Mar 1, 2016.

1. uk52013

uk52013 Junior Member

I've seen multiple opposing opinions on many various forums on these and was hoping to collect on some of your experiences. We will be bringing home our 8 week old pup later this month, and I'm trying to determine where the pups crate should be while we're at work (we're staggering lunches to try to keep stays as close to three hours as possible).

There is an Elderly German Shepherd who is a puppy at heart, for the 30 minutes before he's beat tired.
    Also, an elderly chihuahua who sleeps all day and doesn't amuse the old shepherds occasional play requests.

We have a dog door and the others have free roam of the living room and kitchen.

Options are:
    1. Crate in spare bedroom farthest from the action of the bark-a-thon that is our dog heavy neighborhood norm.

2. Crate in spare bathroom with door open, segregated from the others but open for visits.

3. Crate in the main area where the dogs mostly sleep all day, except barking at neighbor dogs being walked.

2. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

I wouldn't overthink this. It sounds like this is your first. I've had 5, so far...

Place the crate, whereever you prefer. If you pup is anything like my guys, he won't be sleeping in it for very long, anyway. This has more to do with your needs, not his.

3. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

Just understand, Dog fundamentals mirror People fundamentals. Healthy people observe fixed routines (especially, sleep). Healthy people eat whole, fresh foods over processed. Healthy people move, a lot, everyday. Healthy people drink plenty of water (as opposed to grape drink). Emotinal stability of people (and dogs) is a barometer of their physical health and fitness. Regarding what to feed your puppy, half the players of the NFL, NBA and MLB eat a lot of junk but you seldom see them forced into retirement due to cancer, hypertension, diabetes, liver or kidney failure or alzheimer's. Exercise offsets a great many ills; it's the great health equalizer. Aside from mandatory shots for licensing, my last pem went his entire life (14.5) without needing a vet's care. If you can trust the basics & refrain from overthinking, long term, you will save a boatload of money. Enjoy!

4. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

I have had seven Pem Corgis and only used a crate for my most recent. Fletcher came to me at 10.5 weeks old and by the time he was 15 weeks the crate was never used for any purpose other than at dog shows. It had been used for sleeping through the night and when he was left for periods of a few hours.