Crazy Dog

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Pennydog, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Pennydog

Pennydog New Member

My female Corgi likes to herd as all Corgi's do but when anyone goes upstairs in the house she goes CRAZY.
    She acts like a rabid dog. She grabs on to anything near her, a toy, the rug and viciously attacks it. She growls and shakes the toy and runs around. My family yells at her but I think this is related to herding behavior.
    What do you think?

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

How old is your Corgi and what type of Corgi is she.

Yelling - especially by more than one person is doing more harm than good. Often the action or actions, however unusual, will never disappear but they can quieten down somewhat and become less of a problem and more of a quirky thing.

I need to be on hand to see for myself, but maybe it is a play thing so I would take the moment each time to play with her - let her make up her own rules for a game. Be observant.

Here is what my 12 month old Fletcher does every time I tell him that we are going out for a walk which can be six times a day - he runs away - sometimes upstairs, sometimes into the downstairs lounge and expects me to chase him around and around the furniture. Often he will also grab a toy. He simply takes the opportunity for a game before I place the leash over his head and lead him outside the house and up the driveway. He is happy. He made all this up himself. It doesn't always work for him. This is different to when i am taking him out in the car - he simply runs straight to the internal garage.

3. fromperpig

fromperpig Member

Is your dog allowed upstairs? If so, is there a specific room that she avoids or is fixated on? Is there "danger" or "trauma" (from her perspective) upstairs?

Corgis are very bright and very protective. Don't dismiss her as being "crazy", just yet. She may "see" things (ghosts) that everyone in your family, doesn't.
    If that were the case, whose the real crazies, now, and why the hell are they yelling?

Generally speaking, all "unusual" behaviors in dogs, whether rational of not, are fear based. You can investigate and work with her to address and dispel the fear...........Or, you can just yell at her, instead.

4. Pennydog

Pennydog New Member

Penny is 2 years old and she is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. This behavior is not really troubling just trying to understand it. I think the noise and seeing our feet moving like that encourages herding behavior. There is no carpeting on the stairs. She is allowed upstairs but sometimes has trouble getting traction on the wood stairs. She was unable to do the stairs when she was a little pup. I wish I could post a photo but I don't know how.

5. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Fletcher doesn't like the gas heater in the upstairs lounge being turned on because the artificial flickering flames appear, and he doesn't like the rear window wipers of the car being turned on when he is also in the back of the car, and he doesn't like the awning on the deck being opened or closed by the levering system, and he doesn't like the vacuum cleaner when it is on. All these things will make him yell and scream in fear. But he will quieten down when I can get him to sit when these things are going on with the sitting a relaxing aspect which helps to ease his fears. I have yet to try out the hair dryer on him.

Wooden floors are ok up to a point but Corgis need some carpeting such as carpet runners so that they don't slip or slide and get damaged joints and backs and don't get arthritic - these things are prevalent with Corgis without the addition of slippery floors. My Corgis go up and down our carpeted three flights of internal stairs at 100 miles per hour.

6. fromperpig

fromperpig Member

I agree, Mike. Wood stairs are very dangerous for pems due to their long backs and short legs. Anyone who has more than one, as I, learn that pems "race" each other, especially, at meal times. Running down stairs, bumping and biting each other, simultaneously, is like the final lap at a NASCAR race. If you allow a pem to run down an uncarpeted staircase, I suggest you work a discount with a nearby vet...You may be seeing him, a lot.