Feeding a 7 month old puppy

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by *MrSpocktheCorgi*, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Spock is 7 and a half months old. He eats about 2 cups of dog food per day, one cup in the morning, and one in the evening.

Spock weighs close to 20 pounds, and his growth is pretty slow now. He was the runt, and MUCH smaller then the other Corgi on our street, and she is a female.

For his size, Spock is pretty fat, and I'm thinking I should feed him a little less.

Also, Spock is eating puppy food. When can I feed him an adult dog food?

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Two cups of "dog food" per day is a cup too much. Taylor who weighs around 27-28 pounds as a large size (within the standard) Pembroke Corgi gets half a cup-three quarters of a cup of dry processed dog food daily plus two large dog biscuits and supplements such as fresh raw veggies and diced cooked meat. Apart from the bikkies this adds up to 1.5 cups of food in total. By all means give your Corgi two-six mealtimes a day but in proportionate meal sizes. As well many processed dog foods - wet or dry - are weight gainers as opposed to appropriate fresh food. Taylor also gets around an hour of organised exercise daily and has the run of a large house and property.

But there is another point. A puppy (up to 12 months of age) should be a little on the chubby side and post-12 months is when you can easily discard him/her of the excess puppy weight. but a little chubbiness does not mean obesity or grossly overweight. Many health and quality of life issues revolve around a dog being overweight and obese so this is an extremely important aspect in raising a Corgi.

Reducing weight is easy if a Corgi is reasonably healthy though many owners do not have resilience or are insufficiently knowledgeable.

Michael Romanos likes this

3. TheChubbyOne

TheChubbyOne Senior Member

Weight shouldn't be the only indicator of being overweight. Some bigger corgis might be heavier but still in good shape. Some members here will tell you about feeling the ribs and seeing if it feels like there's a slice of cheese in between.

4. Gally

Gally Senior Member

As puppies age past the major growth spurt it is often advisable to reduce feeding amounts. I would start by reducing his food in small amounts maybe 1/4 of a cup to start and see how his body does. It's important to be able to accurately judge body shape in determining a healthy weight for your dog. A healthy puppy can be a little pudgy but there is a difference between that and an overweight dog. You can also ask your vet to evaluate his condition.

[​IMG]

As for puppy food depending on the brand/quality you are feeding you could/should switch off of it soon. Some puppy food, especially the ones formulated for large breeds are okay to feed into the one year range. Look for a good quality all life stage (ALS) or adult food to transition him to. Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

5. Michael Romanos

Larger size dogs of any breed should be heavier than smaller size dogs of the same breed - it is all RELATIVE. But generally speaking you know when a dog is overweight - if the scales don't tell you the appearance does or the inability to be as athletic or have as much endurance, and yes, effortlessly feeling ribs with no pressure is a guide to whether there is overweightness. But here again one has to realise that alike humans, dogs can be more weight prone in certain places. There is a Corgi that I have looked after several times and she is built like an arrow with her overweightness in the rear part of her body - big bottom.

I would tread carefully on the subject of all-stages food and specific stages food. I would never in most circumstances give a Corgi an all stages processed food diet as a puppy and as a senior as the all-stages is set at adult level ingredients. Neither a puppy nor a senior will get full value from some of the'toned down' ingredients that are especially relevant for puppies and seniors.

Michael Romanos likes this

6. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

20 lbs. is on the small side. He'll gain a little more as he matures, but chances are he's going to be on the smaller side.

As for the amount, that depends on the puppy, his metabolism and his activity level. If he is not fat and even a puppy should have a waist and you should be able to feel his ribs.

Then cut back on his food.

IMO, anytime. I don't feed puppy formulas at all. He's definitely old enough now.

Peggy

7. Thanks to everyone who replied!

I think I will give Spock two half cup meals a day, and when his last bag of puppy food is empty, I'll start buying him adult food.

8. Michael Romanos

I certainly do not agree that puppy food is not entirely applicable to most dogs until they have reached adult age which is 12 months and over.

Every knowledgeable definition of a puppy is one who is under 12 months of age.

One can easily define what puppy food constitutes(has emphasis) as opposed to adult or senior stages. And puppy stage is up to 12 months.