First Corgi: Help!

Discussion in 'General Corgi Discussions' started by Jalen Mills, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Jalen Mills

Jalen Mills New Member

Hi! My names Jalen and I'll be getting a Pembroke corgi in 2 months. I know the breeders and am certain that they are good breeders so don't worry about that! I just need help with food, grooming, etc. Any recommended foods, toys, grooming equipment? I would be very grateful if somebody helped me with these things! Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Hi Jalen - Your're too young to own a Corgi as a sole responsible entity. I take it the Corgi will have your parent/s as being in charge and he/she will be part of the family which includes you.
    If you know the breeder/s and "am certain that they are good breeders" then they will be very willing and able to communicate everything you and your parents want to know.
    First off, good breeders will not let their puppies go to a new home until they are at least nine weeks of age. Secondly they should recommend good quality, premium puppy stage food and not just dry (kibble) food but mixed in should be 'wet' food and fresh veggies.
    Toys are dependent on the nature of the puppy My latest pup, Fletcher is a real hard-out chewer so his toys are heavy duty ones.

3. fromperpig

fromperpig Member

Man and dog descendants existed for 2,000,000 years without manufactured "food", "toys" and "grooming equipment". But, now, we need them to raise babies and pem puppies. The genius of thought manipulation thru advertising! "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" [​IMG]

4. Michael Romanos

Good appropriate food is essential. Dogs are living much longer and a better quality of life with one of the reasons being food including scientifically-produced food (refer to AAFCO Standards).

Appropriate brushes and combs as aligned to the coat-type of a Corgi are important as is regular grooming which also helps stimulate the feeling of well-being and attention-givng a dog and also stimulates and enhances his/her skin. Grooming also includes cleaning the inside of the ears and around the eyes and trimming the hairs around and between the pads of a Corgi, and in keeping their rear end and 'skirt' clean from any faeces ( I use baby wipes) . Grooming also means baths using good quality canine shampoo - generally a Corgi requires only two-four baths a year.

Dogs need to be occupied and stimulated and if toys can help in regard to these then that is excellent. There are many variations of toys and the use of the word 'toy' is only a terminology.

5. fromperpig

fromperpig Member

Thanks for clearing up the use of "toy" for me, Mike. I feel much better, now...As for your question, Jalen, I defer to other members, here, to provide answers since the vast majority spend a great deal of time & energy "shopping" for their dogs. I shared my room and fed my first pem pup at age 5 (61yo) so the notion you're "too young" may be a valid one..............if you're 3 or 4! After decades of experience with pems, what I can tell you is this: When you walk to the fridge, your pup will follow if he's hungry. When you walk out the door, watch before closing because your pup is right on your heels. When he needs to take a dump or pee, you'll hear a soft cry through the house. You may or may not need all the things you asked, above; with experience and time you'll answer these, yourself, in a way distinctly unique for you and him. Provided, you just look up from your cell phone every once in a while.

All
    successful, responsible pem owners learn one important thing, early on. A dog's needs are identical to their human parents, thus, a beautiful and undeniable symbiosis is formed regardless how much experience and what advice you follow provided you don't abandon your pup to fear and loneliness.

...Therefore, when their puppy's health thrives, so do theirs. Love requires no "How-to-Manuals".

6. Michael Romanos

Teenagers are generally too young to own a dog but there are of course exceptions. The lifestyle unsettled or otherwise and potential lifestyle of a teenager, the changing factors and emphasis that can happen later on, the brain power not fully developed, the usual lack of attention to duty, conformity and routine, the schooling and work commitments, the attention given to electronics (computer etc), love infatuations, sport commitments and many other points make teenage dog ownership a dicey situation. Generally, the dog owned by a teenager is left to the parent/s to deal with so the ideal is for parents to take full responsibility and to share in the care and management of the dog with their children but under their supervision.

And don't lets discuss children younger than 13 owning a Corgi.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016