Flags and refugees

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Michael Romanos, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

The two biggest subjects in New Zealand right now are flags and refugees;

A change of the national flag that has served NZ moderately well since around the late 1800s will likely be changed in a public referendum. The public were invited to send in their own designs of a NZ flag and from over 10,000 entries, a panel has whittled them down to four and the first of two referendums will vote in the most popular of the four to go up against the present flag.
    So before the Rio Olympics next year, NZ could have a new flag flying with less confusion between the NZ and the Australian flags which are very similar at present, and a flag more relevant to NZ going forward.

Largely because of the Iraq and Syrian conflicts, various parts of the world have been inundated with refugees and would be refugees and NZ is contemplating taking in more than its usual quota.
    Currently,between refugees and immigration NZ on a 'normal' basis is probably taking in more new settlers per annum than any other country in the world on a per capita basis - and this includes the USA. But the plight of Syrians in particular is very sad and very dismal so something has to be done. This Middle East crisis all started with the dreadful decision of the USA to invade Iraq. And now parts of the ME are a complete shambles.

2. eva

eva Junior Member

I know this is a bit off topic, but I would love to know how people in non-EU countries view current situations with refugees. Once again America is involved, I believe.

3. Michael Romanos

I can tell you where i think the underlying fault for all this current refugee situation lies but that won't solve the problems. It is not Iran or Iraq. But let those who waged war on Iraq subsequence to the Iran-Iraq war and have not pushed hard Israel into pulling back from unlawful seizure of land and settling the situation to accommodate a true independent and separate Palestine State, put their troops on the ground and force ISIS to disband and the Syrian Gvt to dissolve and then conduct new elections under United Nations control.

In the meantime all nations in the world should adhere to the UN authority who should urgently co-ordinate a plan of where genuine refugees should go and stay so that all the world takes some responsibility in displaying their humanity.

4. eva

eva Junior Member

Having a plan ....like yesterday! .... would be great, I agree! But will refugees agree with Eus accommodations? Should they agree? If most of them wish to stay or live in Germany for example, how are we supposed to say who should go to Germany and who should go to another "less desirable" country? Nowdays they are even talking of some sort of lottery system. Awful!! All this talk about "mandatory refugee quota" just makes me very confused. Freedom ... nah forget about it. I'm thirty and for the first time in my life I feel like I have no idea what is going on. My confusion grows with all the racist, hateful and simply primitive responds, comments of my fellow citizens. Fear goes too far ...

5. Michael Romanos

Genuine refugees should be happy to go anywhere where they can be safe and given ample food and shelter and presented with a chance for work and citizenship or reparation to the country of their birth. NZ is now on the UN Security Council but do you think we can make a difference under the current structure?