Flea and Tick treatment

Discussion in 'Holistic Care' started by corgimom, May 26, 2006.

1. DarkSephiroth

DarkSephiroth Senior Member

Is Frontline the best one? I used to use that on Corgi when he was a puppy.

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

That depends on where you live. You don't get hard freezes in the winter so fleas don't get killed off, so yes, you need to.

Or live with fleas.

Peggy

3. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

I have only used Frontline plus on my dogs so i can't really say how any other brands rate ... only that i think the frontline plus seems to work well for my boys.

I avoided the Advantix brand as it has ingredients that are not safe around cats, we have two cats in the house, so i only bring things in the house that are safe for everyone!

Emilie

4. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I've talked with my vet about Frontline vs Advantix and what he's always told me is they are the same for fleas. He also has said Frontline is a bit better for ticks.
    That's another reason I began with Frontline years ago. I don't have a cat, but my dog is around other people's cats. Can Advantix still not be used on dogs around them? I would have thought Advantix would have developed/reformulated a product to be safe around cats by now. Owners who have both dogs and cats seem like a pretty big chunk of the market to lose, IMO.
    I use Frontline year round, too. My neighbor found a tick on her dog last week (pretty cold day) and a couple of times I've found fleas on Pip in the dead of winter...both times we had been around other dogs and I suspect they may have jumped to him from one of them.

5. tripster88

tripster88 Junior Member

Our lawn care person can do a "tick treatment" on our yard which is quite large. We live in CT which is highly infested with ticks. We are considering it, but it is quite expensive and have not heard of anyone having any experience with it. Anyone here used anything like this?

Thanks,

Trip & Donna

6. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Last year there were a lot of reports across all kinds of dog lists and forums experiencing Frontline not working as well against fleas as it had in years past. YMMV, but it is possible with as long as Frontline has been around, the fleas are getting resistant to it.

Debbie

7. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I've had that experience, too, for the last 2 years. My vet's office told me it's debatable that any of the flea treatments are working as well as they used to after 2 weeks. I have my trusty flea comb and am not afraid to use it! :)

8. Corgis4me

Corgis4me Senior Member

I wonder why they haven't? Its my understanding that Advantix still has permethrin in it which is toxic to cats and can cause tremors, muscle twitching and seizures in cats. I've used Frontline for over 3 years and its worked for Cody. As a cat owner I wouldn't apply Advantix to my dog.

9. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

Donna,
    I have heard of the tick treatment around here offered by places like chemlawn and such... and honestly they charge a lot for what you could do yourself.. If you go to home depot, they have flea, tick, spider and ant killer stuff that is safe for pets ( once it is dry which is a few hours) and you attach it to your hose and spray your yard... for us to do 3/4 of an acre last season , it cost us about $30... compared to the hundreds that they charge at landscape places and chemlawn type places. They probably use a stronger formula or just more of the same thing than what we used but we didnt get any ticks ( or fleas) in our yard last season - the only ticks my dogs got were when we were NOT in our yard. And we have a yard that backs to woods and deer like crazy around here so tons of ticks... ( we are in Suffield what part of CT are you? )

Oh and I just looked at the k9 advantix on line and it still warns to keep away from cats... so they must not have reformulated it...

Emilie

10. tripster88

tripster88 Junior Member

Hi,

Thanks for the response. We are in Bolton, not too far away. I may check that stuff out at Home Depot. We have about 3 acres so it's pretty expensive. Have you heard of the Costal Corgis group. Check it out.. we went up a couple of weeks ago and had a ball. Thanks.

Trip

11. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Is Advantage a K9Advantage product? I think they are both manufactored by Bayer. Are they like Frontline, Frontline Top Spot, and Frontline Plus?

To correct my earlier post, it was Advatnage not Advantix, that I was considering switching to. Sorry, if I created any confusion, I'm often easily confused myself! :blush:

12. woogiebear

woogiebear Senior Member

I use Advantix on my dogs and it does not harm my cats. But then again, they aren't licking on the dogs either. I also treat my yard with granuals during the summer months to help keep the fleas a little more under control. I use a spreader, then wet the yard down and don't let the dogs out until after the lawn dries good. Which doesn't take long in Texas. It seems to have helped quite a bit. I do not keep the drops on them through the winter months though. I will start in spring and throughout the summer and taper off around fall.

13. Corgis4me

Corgis4me Senior Member

Yes, I think they are both Bayer products. I think the Advantage does not have permethrin in it.

14. DarkSephiroth

DarkSephiroth Senior Member

Can you just buy the anti-Flea / Tick medicine and administer it once they get fleas?

15. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Yes, but realize if they ingest any fleas you may also have to treat for tapeworms.

Revolution (I believe) is a heartworm medication that also is a flea preventative.

Debbie

16. Booski59

Booski59 Senior Member

Leo has never had fleas so far. Do any of you living in climates like Wyoming ever have to treat for fleas? I hate to use any of it if it's not necessary.

17. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I got my first corgis when I lived in Colo. I now live in Utah. I don't use any flea preventatives. With the dry climate and the cold winters we don't have flea problems.

I'd not worry about it unless you see fleas. Chances are you won't.

Peggy

18. Booski59

Booski59 Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I have never seen one on Leo and will follow this advice.

19. shadow1975

shadow1975 Member

Something else to remember how fleas suck the blood from our critters. Blue and it has to be blue dawn dish soap works too,just rince rince rince...also my Dr. says fleas like the dark so open the windows and let the sun shine in and vacum vacum vacum it kills them hope this helps some..u can get a flea comb to to help get rid of them...

20. Booski59

Booski59 Senior Member

Flea update for Leo and Randy....no sign of any fleas. No live bugs or flea dirt on the boys at the daily flea checks (disguised as belly rubs). Brushing the dickens out of Leo every day to rid him of loose hair. Randy is not shedding much yet but I brush him too so he gets the idea it is a good thing.