Fluffy by coat and fluffy by nature

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Michael Romanos, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Today my 13 month old Pem Corgi Fletcher Evans met up with a 7 month old fluffy Pem named Adele at a local park. Despite the presence of other dogs, the pair who met for the first time were instant friends for life. They ran , circled and chased each other and play fought and jumped on each other and all with a soft touch.

Adele is a typical Corgi fluff. I seem to think that fluffs don't mind getting dirty, but their nature is so special.
    I have said before on Go Corgi that Fluffy coated Perms and Cardis have a different, more milder, more loving and more friendly disposition than do the normal coated Corgis. There is no difference in nature between Corgis of different coloured coats but with fluffs and normal coats - yes. The reason may be that the genes for coat texture etc and the genes for behaviour are next to each other so that somehow the intermingling affects the fluffs to the extent it does,

Anyway Adele and her owners are going to join the Corgi club that I run so Fletcher is going to see a lot more of her and won't he be happy.

No breeder in NZ wants to breed a fluffy Corgi and Adele happens to come from the same breeder who bred my famous Corgi Taylor.

Fluffy coated Corgis have usually just a single coat whereas Corgis are suppose to have a double or triple coat.

Here is an interesting thing I have only recently learnt. The thickness of a Corgi's coat doesn't necessarily mean that the thicker the coat the more they are going to shed.

Taylor has a very luxurious thick coat indeed and Fletcher a shortish coat but Fletcher sheds more. There are days when Taylor does not shed a hair but with Fletcher to date, he always sheds. But on the other hand Fletcher is far easier to towel down after being out in the rain or having swum in t a river/stream. His coat does not hold water like Taylor's does.

2. fromperpig

fromperpig Member

Interesting observation, Mike. I have a semi-fluff (a tweener). Between the normal coated and fluff, the fluff is clearly more in-tune with my movements, more energetic, more courageous, friendlier to people and far more affectionate dog, overall. Both are intelligent but my normal, off leash, tends to follow and the fluff, off leash, prefers to lead (yet, tracks my every move by taking quick backward glances). Personally, I prefer less "clingy", more independence in a dog. Fluff is far more clingy then the normal one. My instincts tell me this probably has little to do with coat-length. Either case, the differences in the two dogs are interesting and cool.

3. Michael Romanos

I don't think Corgis can be inbetween fluffy or normal - there is either one or the other. However with normal; comes a large variation. The thing about normal is the double or triple coat whereas most fluffies only have the single coat. And with fluffies there are also definite features such as the hairs on the rims of the ears.
    Fluffies will not be accepted in the show ring because they lack a true Corgi coat.

4. ZeldaTheCorgi

ZeldaTheCorgi Member

This is a very interesting observation. There is an ongoing scientific experiment (50+ years in the making) in which Silver Foxes have been bred as a method of understanding domestication of dogs. In the study, the foxes were selectively bred every generation based on which foxes were the most friendly. They also bred a control group of the most aggressive (feral) foxes. What they have found is that the group bred solely for temperament also began to develop other seemingly unrelated traits: floppy ears, more pelage variation, curly tails, shorter limbs, eye color variation, etc. Their control group had none of these variations. The foxes domesticated even began to act increasingly like dogs. It is entirely possible that a gene for fluffy corgis could be a result of breeding for temperament which could explain why fluffy corgis have such a different disposition!

You can read more about the study here: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/mans-new-best-friend-a-forgotten-russian-experiment-in-fox-domestication/ (Man's new best friend? A forgotten Russian experiment in fox domestication)

5. Michael Romanos

I know that there are a few breeders in the USA who deliberately breed fluffies. And this is disgraceful. But usually from a litter of pups - and the norm is five-six for Corgis but can be up to 12 - one or two (but very mainly just the one) of the Corgis very occasionally turn out to be a fluffy. So do the breeders deliberately breed for temperament against so many other factors or simply let the typical temperament of a Corgi filter through - and the typical Corgi temperament does not need tinkering with.

Since NZ has ceased its Corgi breeding explosion in the 1970s-1980s which with it came many casual and poor breeders, the number of Corgis has dropped really significantly but it is now very rare to produce any Corgis with behavioural issues here and there are probably less fluffies being produced than in the boom years of Corgis.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  6. stephy

stephy New Member

My first corgi Effie was a fluffy but she definitely seemed like she had more than 1 coat going on. During the spring season, she sheds enough to make a very comfortable pillow.

7. Michael Romanos

Hi Stephy
    Fluffies do shed more than normal coated Corgis. There is a fluffy-coated Pem Corgi puppy who lives close by to me and she is a typical fluff in nature and she is only just a fluff as such. Interestingly my Pem Corgi Taylor is a thick coated Corgi but sheds less than my 18 month old Fletcher who is relatively short coated . Fletcher won his second CC (Challenge Certificate) at the weekend - he needs 8 to become a champion show dog in NZ - and he has only now stop shedding professedly for the first time since we got him at 10.5 weeks.