Getting a new puppy soon, want to feed her right but have fix income

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by Firestar1215, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Firestar1215

Firestar1215 Member

Hello! I looked through several posts here and notice some trends but I have some questions.

1. Is there a decent cheaper brand dog food for a corgi? I almost chocked on my drink when I looked up the price for Blue Buffalo. I'm a married pre-vet stupid, so naturally 22$ a bag is a bit steep for me right now.

2. I saw that it's better to get a all stage brand for a corgi puppy, when looking those up I notice that there was never really just a "adult dog" formula. It's normally "healthy coat" and then "weight control" etc. How do you know which one of those?

Thank you

2. Gally

Gally Senior Member

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor is a good site for getting an idea of what a good quality dog food is. Generally speaking you should try to get the best quality food you can afford and that your dog does well on. It's good to remember that a higher quality food often has more calories per cup so you can often actually feed less so the price comes out similar or sometimes the same as the lower quality but cheaper foods. I feed raw so I have no specific brand suggestions for you.

You should get a general all life stage formula, not weight control or healthy coat those are just marketing gimmicks. Most brands have different flavors/meat sources you can choose from such as chicken based, lamb based, beef based etc.

3. Firestar1215

Firestar1215 Member

Thanks for the website! Looking it seems like this Iams simple and natural Chicken, rice and barley is good. It got 4 stars and doesn't seem to have to much protein (from what little experience I have)

I'm sorry but I just thought of some other question though, are there any good treats to get for a puppy? especially if you are going to use them for training?

Also what happens if for some reason the brand you're getting your dog suddenly disappears one day? I've had that happen to me personally with brands i've liked (though those brands where not dog food brands). I wouldn't want her to get a upset stomach.

4. Gally

Gally Senior Member

You can use their kibble for training treats to start. For higher value treats I recommend single ingredient dehydrated or freeze dried meat treats (no specific brand but made locally preferably). Since your budget is tight you can make your own treats which is usually a lot cheaper. You can cook or dehydrate boneless chicken in the oven and use that.

Many people rotate their dogs food between different formulas and different brand for various reasons, one of them being in case their is a recall or a food is no longer available they can easily switch to something else. I wouldn't start any rotating for at least a couple months after you get her so she is fully settled and doing well on one brand to start.

You're a pre-vet student so you have probably thought of this but just in case and for others who might be reading. Since your budget is tight you should make sure you have enough money set aside for all the puppy vaccines, supplies, spay/neuter, training and an emergency fund as puppies will inevitably get into something they shouldn't or get sick/get an infection at some point in their first year. Gally was a pretty healthy puppy but he still cost us a lot more than we planned for in the first year just from small things adding up like ear infections and trying to sort through possible allergies.

5. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

There are many opinions on food. You can find some that are lower priced. I will say that sometimes when you feed a lower priced food you will end up feeding more. And picking up more poop. Often lower priced foods have more fillers in them.

There are lots of posts on feeding puppies, just use the search function on the forum.

Each owner needs to do his own research and decide what is the best for him and his puppy.

Peggy

6. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

I would say that Purina produce some reasonable food for dogs at a reasonable price and I am talking about Purina One and Purina Chow in particular

But Peggy is right - many of the premium food and premium priced food actually goes further and therefore are not all that more expensive than the cheaper and non-premium foods. I often quote Orijen which my Taylor is currently enjoying and he gets about half a cup to two thirds of a cup per day whereas if he was getting a non-premium food he would need up to 2 cups per day and both these examples also include (of course) some supplementary food.

Michael Romanos likes this

7. Firestar1215

Firestar1215 Member

Thanks for the help!

8. Michael Romanos

I am very keen to say that for the typical Corgi puppy they should stick to eating puppy food as distinct from all-stages or adult or senior food.

Puppy food varies depending on the brand of food but it is suppose to carry ingredients that are specific for puppies and carry greater amounts of ingredients that are needed by puppies as distinct from the needs of adult and senior dogs. All stages is focussed on the needs of adult dogs and therefore for most Corgi puppies are not as beneficial. It is a simple as that. But I can list what puppy food should contain or have an emphasis of.

9. Firestar1215

Firestar1215 Member

Well she'll be starting on Purina Puppy chow, is that brand ok? Also then what age should you switch to an all stage?

10. Making homemade dog food might be cheaper then buying like Blue Buffalo, and even more healthy but I don't know.

11. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

You can switch to an all life stages food at 4 mos. This is the advice I was given when I got my first corgi years ago. (He was a Larklain corgi, Larklain was a top kennel and is found in MANY pedigrees.)

Peggy

12. Michael Romanos

I would never recommend all-stages over stage-specific for the vast majority of Corgis and neither would any of the premium dog food producers who state that their products are "all stages' and who also produce stage specific. At least I contacted three of them when this subject first arose some years ago and that is what they say and for good reasons other than costs.

13. Gally

Gally Senior Member

Not sure which premium dog foods that produce all life stages products also produce puppy food. Most premium food that is all life stages reaches above and beyond any minimum nutritional requirements for puppies, without reaching the unnecessary excesses that some puppy foods offer.

ALS food I would consider premium that do not offer puppy food:
    Acana grain free line
    Fromm Four Star line
    Back to Basics
    Canidae grain free
    Innova
    ZiwiPeak

Excessive nutrition from some puppy foods has been linked to the development of pano and other growth issues in large breeds especially but also in corgis.

14. Michael Romanos

Corgis are a small size dog which usually infers that they are (or should be) under 40 pounds in weight) apart from their statue, and large and extra large dogs require a somewhat different aspect of diet - particularly less protein as puppies.

Minimum standards are just that. Premium dog food should vastly surpass AAFCO minimum standards and where they apply, not surpass AAFCI maximum standards. All this is applicable along with a balanced result.

I know that Acana produce specific stage foods for dogs(puppy, adult and senior) and if not puppy grain (oat) free because this is taken care of with their superior product brand - Orijen.

Some of the others you mention may or may not be similar in respect to other product brands within their organisation. But the fact remains that the needs of puppies and adults and seniors and some will also say juniors (12-18 months of age) are different to a lesser or greater extent. My argument is that dog owners should base the stage of senior when an individual dog is estimated to reach the last 25% of his/her life - and not by an arbitrary figure. Most Corgis remain at a puppy stage until they have exceeded 12 months of age -not the same as the extra large breeds.

15. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

We understand your adversion to all stage dog for cogir puppies, Michael. I believe in either all stages or large breed puppy food; which is what my vet suggested AFTER I took Duncan in for a limp. He told me that it looked like his growth plates were growing to fast for his body, hence, the recommendation.

Of course, this will no doubt start the famous dog food wars which this site is known for.

16. Michael Romanos

No - not war, Lou-Ann and Peggy. There are always exceptions and your Corgi may be one of these. I have stated many times "most" or in a previous post in this thread "the vast majority".

It is important to restate that all-stages for puppies and seniors and maybe juniors as well, is largely an inferior product for the majority of puppies, seniors and juniors though this is complicated when comparing each brand to another. Thus for example a rank non premium puppy food may not be as beneficial for a puppy as is a super premium all-stages product

17. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Hi,been feeding my Ben, Acana regionals for the last year. Reasonable price and every 12th bag is free. His weight is easy to manage on this food, and he loves it.he gets fed about 1cup a day, 1/2 in the morning 1/2in the evening . Good luck finding the right food

18. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I have fed/raised several puppies without any puppy formula. Both Cardigan and Pembroke puppies. I've not yet had to go back to feeding a puppy formula and the puppies have not been adversely affected in any way. The dogs I've fed this way range in age from 3 - 13 years.

I think that the exception to an all life stages food would be very few and far between.

An all life stages food is just that, formulated for ALL life stages of a dog. It is NOT an inferior food for puppies, seniors or any other age group. It has to be formulated and tested on all ages of dogs and shown to be sufficient for their nutritional needs. And yes, there are differences in foods and in quality and in what each owner thinks is the best for his or her dog.

I don't recommend a certain formula or way of feeding based reports from the dog food industry which is in the business to sell dog food. I base it on personal study and experience with multiple puppies/dogs. All my dogs get the same food, unless one dog has a special dietary/medical need. I don't feed any of the special formulas.

Peggy

19. Michael Romanos

Dog food companies who designate that their food is all-stages and produce stage-specific food will confirm that their stage-specific food is superior food for puppies and seniors - and in some cases juniors. I would have thought it wouldn't need too much brain power to understand this and why. And because of the ingredient shift and ingredient emphasis of puppy and senior food this is the reason why stage specific food for these two stages is usually a bit more expensive.

20. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Think about this: do wild dogs (wolves, foxes, coyotes, etc.) go out and find a certain food for their pups? Do they find a bunny fortified with calcium and extra vitamins? No, they feed them the SAME food they eat. The same deer, rabbit, mouse, whatever. Yes, when they first introduce food, it's rather "pre-chewed" or partially digested, but we can do the same thing by soaking the kibble in water and mashing it. That's the first way my puppies get their all life stages kibble.

Now when I first heard this, it just dawned, on me. An ah-ha type moment and made sense. If for eons, wild dogs can raise their puppies on the same food that the adults eat, then why would we as humans need to find a "better way"? Mother Nature already has it figured out.

So, IMO, and from my EXPERIENCE, an all life stages food works just fine. For puppies, jrs., mature adults and seniors. And as I said, I stopped feeding special formulas back in the late 90's and from then on my dogs have all eaten an all life stages food. My oldest dog has lived to 16 1/2. My current dogs range in age from 3-15 years. All life stages food. I have seen NO difference in illnesses, diseases, health, longevity, mobility, etc. from when I fed puppy and/or senior formulas to time when I've only fed all life stages. The 13 year olds have never had any food but all life stages.

Each person can do as he/she chooses. Just remember, there is more than one right way to raise a dog, and more than one right way to feed a dog. (Or as some members prefer to do, use only the word corgi and not dog.)

Peggy