Getting a new puppy soon, want to feed her right but have fix income

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by Firestar1215, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

First thing that comes to mind is that for thousands of years now,domestic dogs have ceased being natural canine and their evolvement which is forever continuing separates them further and further from wild dogs, wolves, foxes and hyenas. Second to this all these wild canine family of animals do not almost without fail enjoy the good life or the long life nor the quality of life in comparison to domestic dogs - at the top of the list is food and food-related illnesses. They do not get balanced diets; they do not get all the vitamins. minerals and nutrients that they should on a daily basis; and the babies of these wild animals do not thrive as much as the babies of domestic dogs do if the domestic dog is given qiality care and management from their owners.

There are dogs that do not match the typicality or generality of their breed so unless something is awry in general terms, a Corgi is better off if fed as part of their meals stage-specific food in comparison to the same producers or food of very similar standard and type being an all-stages product when it applies to puppies and seniors. This also goes for the time a puppy slots into the stage of a jumior/adult which is usually (apart from giant breeds) 12 months.

Michael Romanos likes this

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I didn't say that wild dogs and domestic dogs were equal in life quality or life span, did I?

However, wild dogs and domestic dogs have much more in common than they have differences, anatomically speaking.

Do you have something other than your word to back this up? My understanding is that they die of injuries, man, and other causes. I've not heard anything anywhere about wild dogs having food related illnesses.

Where did you get that idea? Wild animals in general get what they need unless there is some sort of deficit in their food source. Such as a wild fire, humans destroying habitat, things like that. Mother Nature knows what the animals need and they find the foods they need.

Nature is not for sissies, yes, it's a tough world for wild babies, and many die early. But it's due to injury, killed/eaten by other animals, etc. NOT due to their diet not being good for them. Sure they'd have longer lives if they were in captivity and fed daily.

I'm pretty sure that the wolves in zoos don't get commercial kibble. Zoos and wolf sanctuaries
    try to replicate a natural diet.

This is your opinion. I have a different opinion and it's just as good as anyone elses.

I know many other breeders who feed their dogs as I do - no special formulas (unless medically needed). And their dogs are also doing great. And not just corgis, many, many different breeds.

Peggy

3. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Exactly! All life stage food is REQUIRED to meet the nutritional requirements for ALL life stages...meaning it IS a puppy food.

A product intended "for all life stages" meets the more stringent nutritional needs for growth and reproduction. A maintenance ration will meet the needs of an adult, non-reproducing dog or cat of normal activity, but may not be sufficient for a growing, reproducing, or hard-working animal. On the other hand, an all life stages ration can be fed for maintenance. Although the higher levels of nutrients would not be harmful to the healthy adult animal, they are not really necessary. Pet Food Labels - General

While opinions on what is best abound, the law regarding pet food labeling requirements is pretty black and white.

EDIT: Forgot to add:
    Yes there are. Do some comparison shopping at your local pet stores. There are many foods priced comparably to Iams and Purina (neither of which is exactly cheap, BTW), but are of higher quality and won't break the bank as much as the super premium foods.

4. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Wild dogs, foxes, wolves and hyenas in the wild shortened and low quality of life in general is due in part to the inferior food supply that they must hunt for and the non- preparation of it. Another part is the conditions that they are forced to endure. Another part is the diseases that they all get. Injuries come in last as a cause for their early demise.

Peggy's 'point' about wolves getting "natural" food in captivity in zoos is of course a contrast to domestic dogs who are not natural.

And Peggy, Gally and LaRogue your opinions ARE just as good as anyone else who thinks that generally all-stages food is better for puppies and seniors than stage-specific food.

Michael Romanos likes this