Grooming questions

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by Caiti22, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Caiti22

Caiti22 Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm preparing to bring a corgi puppy into my home. I'm a first time corgi owner so I have a few questions if some of y'all don't mind to answer.
    1) what brush should I purchase? I have seen info on the furminator but I have also seen that they can scratch the dogs skin from others. I am used to golden retrievers hair which I know is different from corgis.
    2) do you take your corgi to the groomers? If so how often and for what purpose other than a bath.
    3) what dog food do you recommend for corgis. I have always used science diet from my vets office but wanted to get opinions.

Thank you all for your help in advance! Y'all are awesome!!
    - Caitlin

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

IMO, forget the furminator. The brushes I recommend are a pin brush and a slicker brush. And a good comb, one with medium to fine teeth. These are what I use on my corgis, even when they are blowing coat. I've tried many, many other things over the years and have gone back to these three items every time.

My groomer friends don't like the furminator so I've never tried one. I elected not to after trying several other grooming tools that others loved and always went back to my comb and brushes.

Nope, I do it all myself.

Oh my... well, use the search function on this forum or go to the main menu page and there will be posts on food. You can read all the arguments from there. I am not a Science Diet fan. I also do not feed puppy formula foods. My dogs, from puppies to old age all eat the same food -an all life stages food.

Peggy

3. Caiti22

Caiti22 Junior Member

How often do you personally brush your corgis? I have read different amounts in different places. I know a lady who brushes hers once and day and it cuts down on the shedding in the house. Is that normal?
    Thank you SO much for your help!!

4. Cheetah

Cheetah Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yup, daily brushing will definitely cut down on the hair in the house. I brush Shippo every day.

As far as the Furminator goes, I was incredibly skeptical until I worked as a bather/brusher at a few grooming salons, and had the chance to use it myself on many different breeds of dogs (corgis included). I think it works really great for short to medium-haired dogs who shed a lot. Not so great on long-haired dogs. I won't use it on Shippo because his hair is too long for it to really be effective. And you definitely have to know how much pressure to use while brushing, because using it wrong can damage the coat. But if it's use properly, it is an amazing grooming tool for those high-shedding breeds.

At home, I have a good-sized, firm slicker brush, a long-tooth undercoat rake (but a greyhound comb is also just as good) and a Kong Zoom Groom (Amazing for long-haired shedders).

5. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

I use a double sided 'normal" brush and a double sided 'normal' comb two or three times a week for a few minutes each time with my Corgis and this seems more that sufficient plus a shampoo bath in the middle of a Corgi's twice yearly shed to rid the coat of a excessive loose hairs. Even if I had plenty of spare cash, I'd rather do the grooming myself because it is a pleasure and a further way for a closer relationship with your dog.

I recommend dry or wet processed commercial food that us appropriate to a dog's stages in life and is classified as premuim and scientifically formulated (AAFCO); together with appropriate supplements that add up to no more than 20% of the meal and delivered to a dog in proportionate daily amounts of up to six times a day (but usually less than this).

You mentioned Hill's Science Diet and I have no trouble in saying that this food (with its many different formulated products) is as good as most of the premium range of foods for dogs.

Michael Romanos likes this.

6. Caiti22

Caiti22 Junior Member

Thank you all so much for your help?
    Is there a brand of the firm clicker brush you like best?

7. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Get what feels good in your hand. Everyone has their own preferences. I prefer the oblong PSI brush. I use a greyhound comb now and have no preference on slicker brushes. They no longer make the combs and slickers I really liked.

Peggy

8. Cheetah

Cheetah Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

OMG same! The slicker brush I have right now is soooo perfect for me, and they don't make it anymore. Same goes for the undercoat rake I have. All the other rakes they sell have teeth that are too thick for my liking. The teeth on this rake are like the teeth on the greyhound comb.