Holiday Dog Treats

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by LaRogue, Jan 3, 2013.

1. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I received this recipe in the Dec 2012 AKC enewsletter (free to sign up for!) and thought I'd share with those interested in making their own dog treats. I used reduced fat creamy peanut butter and old fashioned oats (ground in the blender) to substitute for the flour. Pip (of course!) loves them!! :wiggle:

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Biscuits

•2 1/2 cups whole wheat or barley flour
    •2 eggs
    •1 cup canned pumpkin
    •3 tablespoons peanut butter
    •1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2.Stir dry ingredients in medium bowl. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, and peanut butter. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and knead thoroughly. Dough should be dry and stiff; add small amounts of water as needed to make it workable. (If dough is too sticky, add small amounts of flour.) Roll dough into half-inch thickness and cut into half-inch pieces, using knife or cookie cutters

3.Bake about 40 minutes, or until hard and dry.

2. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

This shouldn't bother a dog is they are allergic to flour, right?

3. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

If the dog has a problem with grains, in general, it would be best to skip it. If the dog is allergic to or has a problem with a particular grain then you can substitute the type of flour. There are all types of different flours available now.

For example, Pip can't have wheat. At all. I substitute rice, oatmeal, etc. flours. He is ok with barely flour, but I didn't have any, and didn't feel like running to the store, so I ground up old fashioned oats (he is fine with oats) to make oat flour and used that instead of wheat flour.

Hope this helps! :)

4. Tesrey

Tesrey Senior Member

Do you know approxmately how many calories are in each treat?

5. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

No, calorie info was not included. Sorry.