How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'General Puppy Discussions' started by eva, Jan 12, 2015.

1. eva

eva Junior Member

Hi, I've been looking for this topic, but I haven't found it :)
    How cold is to cold for a short stroll with a 12 week old puppy? Right now we have a bit of rain and about 0 celisus in the morning, about 7/10 (44-50F) celisus in the afternoon. It seems the weather will stay that way until the next week and I'm getting my puppy on Saturday. If I keep him active, everything should be fine for a 20 minutes stroll right? How about toilet outings for five minutes?
    I hope at least the rain will stop, don't want him to get all wet and cold every time we go outside :shake:

2. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

The temperature should be fine for a 20 minute stroll. Keep them as dry as possible with a coat of some sort for the rain. Keep a towel near the door for a quick dry off. As they grow older, a little rain won't hurt them, their coat is almost weather proof, being double coated.

3. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Taking a Corgi puppy of any age over nine weeks for a exercise walk or a toilet walk in cold temperatures as you described and/ or in heavy rain is perfectly fine and in keeping with the features of a Corgi with their double and sometimes triple thickish coat and origins in Wales which has cold and wet winters, cool to cold and wet autumns and springs and moderately warm summers.

Dry a wet coat by towelling before letting back into house.

I toilet walk Corgi puppies in all kinds of weather and that can be several times a day and for upwards of 10 minutes at a time. The coldest temperatures where i live in New Zealand gets to minus 5 Celsius and we get lots of rain and wind and a good share of storms.

I exercise Corgis in every kind of weather that we get but it is more important as far as Corgis go, to avoid very hot weather in unshaded areas and if the ground is too hot for you to walk barefooted, it is too hot also for your Corgi's feet and exercising should be in the parts of the day that are less humid and hot - early morning and late afternoon/early evening.

Leaving Corgis out in cold or wet conditions is entirely another matter. A Corgi only has to sit or lie on a wet surface or kept damp for shortish periods and they can (and usually do) develop arthritis later in life.

MR likes this

4. sourapril

sourapril Junior Member

I got mine at 12 weeks. He walked in 18F for about 30 minutes without any clothes or boots. He loves the cold! He gets hot when I think it's comfortable outside, usually about 65F. :D

5. Hasina

Hasina Junior Member

As they grow older, a little rain won't hurt them, their coat is almost weather proof, being double coated.

6. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Quite right - a little rain will not hurt any healthy Corgi no matter what age but letting them stay in rain without access to shelter and allow to sit and lie in damp conditions for lengthy periods and not drying them - especially their feet and legs - is not a good idea and is one of thee main reasons for future arthritis.

Clean rain is good for a Corgi's coat.