How safe is it in the USA?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Michael Romanos, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

One of the members of the Wellington Welsh Corgi Club are Americans Pam Caird, her husband, son and Pem Corgi Quincy. All of them are going on a year-long sabbatical leave from Wellington to stay in North Carolina in a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't want to be travelling to and living anywhere in the USA at present. I've told them good luck but don't go.

​NZ is the safest country in the world to live in.

2. Michael Romanos

Wrote the above before the two latest mass killings, and the major mass murders happened not far away from Los Angeles where the Cairds and their Corgi will land and stay over for a day. Scary.

3. Misha

Misha Junior Member

Living in the US at this point in time is frightening. The mass shootings, the racism, etc., etc.

This isn't the America my grandfather emigrated to, that's for certain.

4. Michael Romanos

I think that the USA has been at a crossroads for some time. Capitalism, guns, racism, democratic processes, foreign policies and warmongering, and climate change has caught up with them and left them floundering. The advent of Barack Obama to the presidency a marvel within itself and an amazing articulate character, has not been sufficient to pull back on any of the aforementioned.. Not all is lost yet but even darker clouds are forming and there is the spectacle of millions of Americans supporting demigods and Hitler-like leaders such as Trump.

5. Misha

Misha Junior Member

Perfectly said, Michael.

Trump is a joke; his supporters, however, fill me with fear.