How to remove fleas from carpet

Discussion in 'Holistic Care' started by Mochi, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Mochi

Mochi Junior Member

Mochi has gotten fleas =\, lots of them. It started once we stopped using a flea and tick shampoo a few weeks ago when we ran out. Now there's fleas everywhere.

I've done lots of reading, and I was wondering if there is anyway to remove fleas from the home without using sprays or carpet powder that are toxic to both pets and children. If i have to resort to one of those, is it bad to have people in the house when its being treated?

I heard crumbling bay leaves and spreading them around the carpet will make fleas come out then you can vacuum them, or shampooing your carpet with hot water will kill adults and larvae.

2. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

3. Mochi

Mochi Junior Member

baking powder and salt? I will try it and see how it goes. Thanks so much!

4. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Vacuuming often and thoroughly is supposed to help. The vibration of the vacuum can draw them out of hiding and then vacuum them up. You need to empty the vacuum bag/canister each time, though...they can live in it and escape back into your house.

5. cns01120

cns01120 Junior Member

I have heard that diatomaceous earth kills fleas. You sprinkle it all over and then vacuum it up. I have had a lot of success with apple cider vinegar killing fleas. I spray it on carpets, sprinkle baking powder and then vacuum very often. At least twice per day if a pet in your home has fleas. You can also feed small amounts of brewer's yeast and apple cider vinegar to your pets to ensure fleas and ticks don't find them attractive. It works great.

I agree that the harmful chemicals are not the way to go. Most of them are not even effective as fleas and ticks are becoming resistant. Not to mention the active ingredients have tons of long term fatal side effects.

6. PupsnPonies

PupsnPonies Member

I've used Borax sprinkled in the carpet with good success, however, once we started using Comfortis once a month on my flea allergic Corgi, we no longer have any problems....good luck!

7. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

BORAX!!! That's the other remedy I've heard of...I just couldn't think of the word.

So far, we haven't had any trouble with fleas....which surprises me, what with the damp humid spring we've had. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

8. SapphireFatal

SapphireFatal Member

I have actually heard that regular dawn dish detergent kills fleas. When my boyfriend and I first moved into this place we started to get bites. A coworker of mine told me to take a shallow dish of very hot water mixed with dawn soap and set it in the middle of the rug overnight. Sure enough, we woke up the next morning and there were dead fleas in it. I just wonder if I could use it in my rug scrubber... any ideas?

9. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

I think using it in your rug scrubber would create too much suds on your carpet and possible ruin your scrubber. Plus, I also think that Dawn would leave a residue on your carpet, since you really wouldn't be able to rinse it out very well.

10. CT Corgi

CT Corgi Senior Member

I use diatomacious earth (food grade) in the chicken coop to kill off fleas and other insects. Completely natural insecticide, works by mechanical means, not chemical. Doesn't bother the chickens at all, even if they eat it. It works, but I think you have to leave it sit on the carpets for several days, vacumming it up sort of defeats the purpose:

From Wikipedia: Diatomite is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency.......... It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[10][11] It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach and flea infestations. This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[12] It has also been used to control bedbug infestations, but this method may take weeks to work.[13]

Fleas are tough to get rid of. Even if you vacuum up all the adults, any eggs left behind with hatch and the cycle starts over. Dragon is on Frontline, the ticks have been murder this year. Comfortis is favored by many too. If vacuuming does not work, you may need a professional to get rid of the fleas in the house, but you must be very careful what methods/materials they use.

11. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

I second all of that!