I found a flea!

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by Susan&Gus, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Susan&Gus

Susan&Gus Junior Member

I'm kind of freaking out. I found a flea on Gus last night. I combed him down but couldn't find anymore but I did find a lot of eggs. He started Trifexis last month and I just gave him this month's dose this morning but I thought Trifexis was supposed to kill the fleas before they lay eggs. I've seen plenty of things online about how to get rid of fleas, but does anyone know how to get rid of eggs that are on the dog and on my carpet/furniture/bedding?

Please help! I'm incredibly paranoid now and feel like I and my apartment are probably covered in fleas/eggs! :itch:

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

To start with I'd bathe him. Any shampoo will kill fleas, you don't need a flea shampoo. (Although that might kill others after the bath, not sure on that.)

So start by bathing him. Start the shampooing right up behind his ears so the fleas don't move to his head to get away from the shampoo. Then move backwards towards his tail. I'd rinse and shampoo again.

Hopefully, someone with more experience than I have in this dept. will reply. We (luckily) don't have fleas here in Utah. (Too dry in the summer and too cold in the winter!)

Peggy

3. Susan&Gus

Susan&Gus Junior Member

I gave him a bath last night and vacuumed the carpets almost immediately afterward. I found a flea shampoo that supposedly works on flea eggs, so I'm going to try that out tonight. One of my big concerns now is how to make sure I get rid of any flea eggs that may be hiding around my apartment.

4. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

I've heard that Borax (such as in 20 Mule Team Borax) will work. Sprinkle it around and vacuum it up.

Peggy

5. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

I have little experience with fleas as well, but my one experience ridding a cat and my apartment of fleas involved a flea dip on the cat, us leaving the house and me flea bombing the whole apartment and that worked. While I never saw another flea again the whole time i lived there ( nor ever on any of my pets since), it was a really harsh way to rid the place of fleas- i would hate to know what horrible toxic chemicals that i put in my air and my apartment... well that was many years ago now ( like near 20 yrs ago).

I have heard that borax works but i have never actually tried that myself..

Emilie

6. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

On the lighter side,I once found a flea, at a market,I was quite excited, I was gonna start my own circus and everything,unfortunately my wife got ticked off, took me forever to worm my way out of it,,,,, sorry couldn't resist.

7. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Never had any problems with fleas with Taylor (9.8 years) in using Frontline and that is one tube every four months.

8. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

Really? Just one? Can you share your secret, please? :itch:

9. Michael Romanos

I don't know if you are being serious, Wuz. But in NZ conditions, a one application of Frontline Ultra can actually be twice as effective as the four monthly application that I administer. So the secret is to be in a place or country where fleas, mites and tics are not a feature and at the same time, utilise a product that has proven effectiveness and is unlikely to be a risk to health or have side-effects.

Michael Romanos likes this

10. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

If one is in a place where fleas are not a "feature" then why would one need to use something to kill them?

No fleas in Utah and I do not use any flea repellants on my dogs.

Peggy

11. Michael Romanos

Peggy, Peggy, Peggy,Peggy,Peggy, Peggy "not a feature" does not in any shape or form say or imply that fleas and mites DO NOT EXIST. But actually tics here certainly don't.

Not a feature means that there is not an abundance of fleas or that fleas do not present a major problem. It doesn't mean that fleas and mites are entirely absent.

12. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Borax sprinkled on the carpet and waiting a day or two does help. I haven't done it, but the person behind me had a flea infestation. So, I gave her some Borax I happened to have, told her to sprinkle it on the carpet and wait a couple of days. Then sweep her carpet real good and then throw out the sweeper bag as soon as she was done. That she will need to use a fresh sweeper bag every time. In the mean time, get her dog flea dipped.

I spoke with her last night, and she said the Borax worked amazingly well. I suggested strongly to do it weekly for at least a month, this way it will kill any eggs that might have been missed and they hatched.

13. ellydruid

ellydruid Senior Member

First off, don't panic. It's just a flea, they happen.

Secondly, since he's a puppy his coat is still short enough to use a flea comb.

Thirdly, Frontline. I can't say it enough, Frontline, Frontline, Frontline. It's expensive, I know, but it WORKS. And it's safe.

I wouldn't fret too much about your carpet and furniture. A couple fleas here and there don't lead to a full blown infestation in my experience. A good vacuum, and washing your bedding (if he's been in your bed) and his bedding will do the trick for minor stuff like that.

14. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Where did I say they didn't exist? They do exist but not in Utah and some other states/areas. Therefore they are not a "feature" here.

Glad to hear you don't have ticks.

In some areas they ARE absent. None here in Utah. None in Colorado. Thank goodness!!! (The same with other states with dry climates, such as NV, AZ, NM....)

Peggy

15. ellydruid

ellydruid Senior Member

There are parts of California where they don't live as well, such as the desert areas. In some parts of those areas there are ticks, but most of the desert, fleas and ticks are a non-issue...

I guess working rescue it's just not a big deal. About every cat I fostered had fleas at some point or another. My "intake" procedure when they came in was to treat my own animals with Frontline (they were all indoors so they only got treated when a newbie joined the group) and then give the new baby a bath and Frontline if they met the age requirement, and then give a good vacuum. If I missed one, the blankets and sheets and kennel clothes all went in the wash, then another vacuum. If they weren't old enough for Frontline then they got a daily bath until I didn't see any more fleas. Pretty simple.

16. Kevan h

Kevan h Senior Member

Fleas are not a problem where we live either,too dry and long cold winters, tick numbers are rising a bit, but nothing alarming. When we travel to Vancouver island the vet gives the dogs Revolution, mainly for protection against heartworm, but all in all we're pretty lucky about not having to deal with this problem.

17. Michael Romanos

Peggy -you cannot even read or understand what you have written. Got to get some treatment.

Let's try once again, YOU SAY: "If one is in a place where fleas are not a feature then why would one need something to kill them".

I SAY: not being a feature does not mean that fleas are not present. It means that fleas are not a major problem or do not have a major presence.

Why don't you just give it away?

18. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

No Michael, it's not me having the trouble understanding or reading what I write. It seems to be you. Why does no one else seem to have that problem? Only you!

For what? I'm not in need of any treatment. I'm not the one bullying everyone, insulting people, and being extremely rude. Again that is you.

I heard what you said. And stand by my reply.

Give what away? I have nothing to give away on this. And I'm not giving in either.

Peggy

19. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

Weird how the only one misunderstood here is Michael, maybe it is your convoluted writing style that people have difficulty understanding...not to mention content. For example " why don't you just give it away". Huh? Tt to makes no sense in the the context in which you used it, unless that is some NZ expression that the rest of us are not used to hearing.

Either way, you want to argue over the dumbest things and the hurling of insults constantly has gotten quite tiresome.

20. Michael Romanos

Why don't you just give it away too.

Please.