Is my Corgi too young for a DM diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Health Issues & Questions' started by pandson, Aug 12, 2016.

1. pandson

pandson New Member

Hi All,

I visited a vet yesterday as my Pembroke ("Tubtim", meaning "Ruby" in Thai) was having some problems getting up from a seated position, and occasionally seemed to have a mild limp in her left hind leg.

The vet did an xray of her rear legs and said there was no issue that was visible from either the xray or the physical examination. He then concluded that it was likely that Tubtim had Degenerative Myelopathy (DM), and there is nothing that can be done if this is the case (adding "please don't euthanize" - which would never happen as Tubtim is my best friend, it's just me and her).

Anyway... after coming home from this surprising news I went online and started reading around DM. While some of Tubtim's symptoms do indeed match this diagnosis, the thing that casts some doubt in my mind is that she is only 1 year and 5 months old.

Everything I have read suggests the onset of DM begins from around 5 years old. So I wanted to ask this corgi community for some advice; has anyone here ever heard of a dog showing symptoms of DM at the age of 1 and a half?

Thanks!

Phil

2. fromperpig

fromperpig Member

https://www.welshcorgi-news.ch/Gesundheit/DM_eng.html (Welsh Corgi News - Degenrative Myelopathy (DM))

(EXCERPT) How is DM diagnosed?
    Degenerative myelopathy is a diagnosis of elimination. We look for other causes of the weakness using diagnostic tests like myelography and MRI. When we have ruled them out, we end up with a presumptive diagnosis of DM. The only way to confirm that suspicion, however, is to examine the spinal cord under the microscope when a necropsy (post-mortem exam) is performed. There are characteristic degenerative changes in the spinal cord, which tell us this is DM and not some other spinal cord disease.

3. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

DM is a major genetic thing with Corgis and the potential parents of Corgi pups should be certified DM -free before they are 'allowed" to produce puppies.
    You should refer this to the breeder of your Corgi who should repatriate you in some form or other. In New Zealand Corgi breeders like any other pure-bred dog breeders have certain obligations they must adhere to otherwise they will not be certified by the NZKC

4. JessJessB

JessJessB New Member

Can you contact the breeder? Do you have the parents' information?

5. ZeldaTheCorgi

ZeldaTheCorgi Member

You can have your dog genetically tested for DM to see if she is at risk. If she is at risk it is likely her symptoms are from DM or that she will develop DM at some point. If she is not at risk, then the symptoms are from something else. Our breeder uses GenSol Diagnostics.