Little guy coming home in ten days!!

Discussion in 'General Puppy Discussions' started by Lucasmommy, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Lucasmommy

Lucasmommy Junior Member

Hello!!

Our sweet baby Luca comes home December 6, and we couldn't be more thrilled! I'm looking for some basic advice and tips from corgi owners, there aren't any I know! The biggest question we have is about feeding. We're so nervous about over feeding and food brands. We plan on putting him on a schedule, but are still looking for recommendations on which food may be best for our little guy. Thanks in advance!! :)

2. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

How exciting! And Welcome!

Hoping to stop a big war on this forum about dog food (which it always does...), go to this website and research the dog food. Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble. Decide from there. In my opinion, buy the best you can afford.

If you've never had a corgi, I suggest as soon as all the shots are done, get into a puppy training class. This will help you bond, build good social skills and basic training. Corgis are highly intelligent dogs, and if you don't train them, they WILL train you...LOL!

Just search through the forums, there are great suggestions.

3. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

I am always excited by the excitement of other people who are about to bring home their new (especially first) Corgi (esp a puppy).

Corgis in Columbia - not many I would pick. There are quite a few in Brazil and I would say in Argentina also. I have heard of some excellent breeders in Brazil and had briefly corresponded with one of them.

First things with food for Corgi puppies: stick to what the breeder has been supplying him with as meals and only gradually shift to whatever you presume to be the best over a period of at least several days; and if you are giving him dry food as meals, soften the kibble slightly by sorting out his supply for the day and soaking it in a little warm water, allowing it to soak for 5-10 minutes so that his sensitive tummy is not getting straight hard stuff food for meal after meal day after day; and thirdly the more apportioned meals per day the better - up to six meal times though 3-4 is more usual - so this means dividing one daily meal into up to six portions.

The next step is to ensure that he is getting supplements with his dry (kibble) or wet (canned or roll) food with each mealtime, mixed into his food - the supplements can be upwards of 20-25% of his meal and the best by far are vegetables and the best way to present them is fresh and raw (apart from corn which should be over-boiled) and the next best is lightly streamed. Veggies can be, pumpkin (peeled and shredded), spinach, cabbage, carrot, pepper (capsicum), courgette, green beans, peas, sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower and a few others. Another supplement with dry food is wet dog food mixed in. As for fruit - the very best is Blueberry. These additives to dry food in particular, adds greatly to the appetising feature of the meal for the dog.

Dogs are omnivorous and so need a lot of vegetable. There is a wild dog breed in South America which basically exits only on vegetables and are no worse off than any other wild dog, wolf or fox groups.

Corgi puppies need to be slightly chubby and can easily be fined down to the ideal weight as they move into adulthood and at around 10 months of age they are starting to get full organised exercising of the benchmark an hour a day (divided into two sessions is preferred) with a longer 'walk' weekly.

The amount of food is very dependent on what you give them. Premium dog food is best and usually requires less to be offered because of its quality and therefore can be no more expensive than a cheaper brand. Orijen and Acana dry dog food which are Canadian products are at the top of the tree internationally and perhaps the most expensive and I would only give a puppy three quarters of a standard cup (250 ml) per day in total of this particular products along with supplements as described and a large biscuit or two.

The trouble with many processed dog foods are the amount of calories in them which is partly responsible for the obesity epidemic in dogs but the really good processed dog food s are less high in calories and of course contain all the essential ingredients that a normal puppy and adult dog needs.

The last factor is the so called treats. Better to keep clear of anything that resembles a "treat' and 'table scraps' for not only are they often inappropriate etc and high in calories but many dog owners don't take account of them in working out a dog's daily food intake.

The best treat as a reward used in training is a kibble or two or a tiny piece of dog roll of the normal food that they get which they have appeared to enjoy.

MR likes this

4. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Michael, I think you misread where the new member is from, it's Columbia, South Carolina. But good answers to her questions, especially the treats.

5. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

Depending on size, age, energy level and activity levels, total food consumption for a full grown pem: about 2 cups of dry food.

From a measuring standpoint, total cups for my two adult males (27 and 31 lbs): about 3 cups, total portioned over 2 meals/day.
    My dogs walk between 3-4 miles every day (I walk 6 miles, daily). I add enough water to every bowl for a consistency of runny mash potatoes. I supplement a bowl, 50%, with any 3 or 4 of the following: plain yogurt, brown rice, ground chicken, peas, carrots, frozen spinach, chub mackerel, sweet potato, pumpkin, fish oil pills, hard boiled eggs, steamed cauliflower, banana. (Supplemented foods have 1/5 of the calories, by weight, of dry kibble, contain multiple times more water, provides essential vitamins a minerals. My dogs are ravenous every meal; they rarely take more than 2 minutes to finish and they leave nothing in the bowl. Stools are firm and compacted, always. They dump 4-5 times/day, minimum, so I always carry lots of plastic. If I feed my dog just kibble they dump far less. Because I use dry food as essentially a "filler", I buy the cheap stuff (Costco Super Premium Lamb and Rice).

imo, feeding treats to your dog, regularly, is not a wise thing to do. #1, most treats are pure junk. #2, once the dog gets a treat at a regular interval, they will beg (for it). Begging destroys dogs and Corgis are the best and most manipulative at it so be warned! When I do, I'll treat with baked sweet potato slices or Trader Joe biscuits.

I realize very few people share my insights on feeding and exercise of dogs. At the same time, though, I'd argue very few people have complete strangers routinely ask if they can take a picture of their dog. In addition, my pems are my everyday fitness partners so they are essentially my "gym".

A balanced, calm and fit pembroke is a beautiful thing and this is how we get "there". Good luck. "War"????; (aside from Mike) who cares what other people do with their lives (or their corgis)?

6. Michael Romanos

There are Corgis in COLOMBIA but I think Columbia and South Carolina has more.

I note that Go Corgi is a Canadian-based site so we are sometimes not expected to be geographically accurate.

MR likes this

7. Lucasmommy

Lucasmommy Junior Member

Thank you everyone for your help! We ended up going with Blue grain-free puppy food after reading reviews and advice. We pick him up a week from today!! I've been hoping to find other corgi owners in our area but I haven't yet. Our breeder has been amazing about keeping in touch with us and sending photos. His ears are starting to come up! View attachment 8851

Attached Files:

8. Michael Romanos

Many grains are good/great for dogs - and humans too.

MR likes this

9. Lucasmommy

Lucasmommy Junior Member

I read a lot of things about grain free being better for corgis:/ so we thought we'd try that. Maybe we can slowly introduce or give him a mixture of food over time

10. Michael Romanos

Even the top rated dog food in the world contains selective grain/s.

Flaxseed for instance is a fantastic grain for Corgis.

MR likes this

11. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Blue is a good choice. I have Duncan on Natural Balance LTD because he is allergic to grains. I tried Blue on him, but it seemed to be too rich for his tummy, and gave him diarrhea. Thank goodness for pumpkin! Oh, you may want to add pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin, no spices) to your list of food for your puppy. It's a great filler for when they are on a diet, great for diarrhea AND constipation. I also give Duncan green beans with his meals. He's overweight and it has helped him to lose five pounds since his last check up.

12. Michael Romanos

Relatively few dogs have an intolerance to any grains or all grains.

While tinned pumpkin is much better than no pumpkin, fresh raw pumpkin is by far the best way to add it to a puppy's or adult dog's meals.

I forgot to add previously that puppy stage processed dog food is usually infinitely better for puppies than so-called 'all-stages' food.

MR likes this

13. Hasina

Hasina Junior Member

Depending on size, age, energy level and activity levels, total food consumption for a full grown pem: about 2 cups of dry food.

14. Michael Romanos

I would differ in my estimate of dry food amount to a healthy adult and active Corgi - two cups of dry food per day would be too much and if given regularly would make a Corgi well on the way to becoming obese but this also depends on the kind of dry food dog product. Generally speaking, dogs need less premium dry food and premium wet food on a daily basis than for low or lower grade equivalent.