Male or female?

Discussion in 'General Corgi Discussions' started by Jatmoinpet, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Jatmoinpet

Jatmoinpet New Member

Help, getting our corgi this weekend and there r 2 females and a male that is a really nice corgi that may suit us according to the breeder. We have a 17, 15, and 11 year old, kids coming and going, big male newfound dog next door, friends have a huskyfemale. We spend time at cottage where lots of people and dogs. The corgi needs to be able to handle all the people and dogs when we go places.. medium energy and not too much of a talker! One breeder said to get a girl cause we havent had a puppy in many years and they are easier and boys are too high maintenance. But the next one says boys are laid back and likely jot to fight with other dogs( less territorial). I'm a bit confused! Any suggestions.

2. ZeldaTheCorgi

ZeldaTheCorgi Member

I don't think you can go wrong either way. We have a female that is two and she is awesome with people and other dogs. She can be a talker but usually only when she is playing or something loud is going on near her. Females are BOSSY and she will likely have a very strong herding instinct and more of an attitude. She doesn't fight with other dogs but she will hold her ground if she doesn't like something.

We just brought home our male a few weeks ago and as far as we can tell, he is really whiny and more difficult compared to Zelda when she was a puppy. He is also kind of bossy, but he is not fully vaccinated so he has only been around our female. As far as handling situations, that is all about the way you train puppy and what you expose it to, not gender.

So the question is: Do you want a dog that is easier as a puppy, but bossy and more of an alpha? Or do you want a more difficult puppy in hopes that it will be less bossy and more laid back?

Jatmoinpet likes this.
  3. Jatmoinpet

Jatmoinpet New Member

So the males tend to be harder to train as a pup but easier in the long run?
    We had a female dog years ago, not a corgi that would actually pick fights with other dogs. All noise mind you but upsetting.

4. ZeldaTheCorgi

ZeldaTheCorgi Member

To my knowledge, they can be. Our pup is so young we haven't gotten to the point where I can say that has been my experience. However, the females tend to be more dominant, the alphas. So far, our pup has been more difficult at this age but only marginally. What I can say is that our female has never picked fights and she will try avoid confrontation for the most part, but she's not afraid of confrontation and she will bark or nip at other dogs after giving plenty of other warnings in which case they are the instigator. That's just typical dog behavior and she's never been in a fight that she instigated and she's never been in a fight were either dog was injured (in other words, they were not serious). She does play a little rough and makes a lot of noises which some people find intimidating.

Jatmoinpet likes this.
  5. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

I much prefer a male Pem to a female Pem. I find males more active and physical and smarter and less likely to be possessive, jealous and bad mannered with other dogs and more likely to be more loving and cuddly.

I do not believe in neutering a Corgi for health, personality/mental and physical reasons.

Jatmoinpet likes this.
  6. Jatmoinpet

Jatmoinpet New Member

I think we are going to go with a male. I hear the male corgis are more affectionate and laid back. Do they tend to hump objects, legs etc. Or is this something we can train him not to do.

7. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Good decision.

I run a Corgi club and have had six male Pems and one female and none of the Corgis are habitual humpers. I don't neuter my males and if I had it wouldn't have necessarily meant less humping than the few times they have made an attempt - either on humans or other dogs male and female. Female Corgis can have the urge to try and hump too - but I have not seen this. If the humping is not incessant or obsessive, then I would not worry at all about it. it is no big deal. But all you need do is move your Corgi pup off gripping your leg and say 'no" - because that is probably the first attempt they will make. However having said all of this if they catch up with a female dog in season and she is on the loose, then there might be a more obvious reason to attempt humping.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  8. Jatmoinpet

Jatmoinpet New Member

Thanks. Helpful advice as usual! 4 more months and we get our little guy!! Can't wait.

9. sweetpuppy

sweetpuppy New Member

I'll go with a male too :)