martingale collars

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by Jeni D, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Jeni D

Jeni D Senior Member

Well, Dudley is a terrible leash walker (He believes he is a sled dog), and I know that this is most definitely my fault for letting him pull, but I've decided that with a new puppy coming along, it would definitely be in my and his best interest to really really really put some effort into improving the problem. I've read the article on "being like a tree" and we have been working on that for a week or two now with some improvement. Then, I came across a thread on different collars you could use. I really considered a harness, but then everyone kept mentioning the martingale collar. So, my questions are: How do you use it? Do you put it on the same way as a traditional collar? Does it cause any harm to the dog? Any tips/tricks to using it successfully?
    Thanks guys!
    Jeni

2. milosmom

milosmom Senior Member

Have you tried a gentle leader? The concept is similar to a bridle for a horse.
    It prevents your dog from pulling your arm out of the socket when you go for walks. It is simple to put on. It worked wonders for Milo! Most dogs do not fancy them but too bad so sad is my attitude about that. I want to walk my dog not be pulled by him. The gentle leader really worked for us enough so that Milo rarely uses it now because he is no longer pulling. (I think at some point he realized that "If I stop pulling she will not put that dreadful thing on me...") Whatever the case, it worked.

Heard of the martingale but never tried it....looked too complicated to use, so it lost its appeal to me. I just want to slip something on and go, and the gentle leader fits the bill! They come in different colors and sizes, most Corgis will need a medium. Good luck! If you get a martingale, i'd be curious to hear what you think of it and what the results are.

3. corgimom

corgimom Senior Member

Jeni,

I use the Martingale collar for Cody and his walking nicely at my side has really improved, but earlier on he was one that lagged behind rather than pulled; On occasion, he will now pull, but I do the "make like a tree" also which he has learned that I will not budge if he pulls. He has come a long way over this past year. Earlier on, I had tried a harness with Cody and it did not work and I even wrapped his leash around his mid section as my instructor once told me to do, and I think Corgimum posted a picture of how she did that with Dylan. When I did that with Cody, he rolled over on his back and would not get up.:rolleyes:

But the gentle leader sounds like something you might want to try with Dudley.

4. tandemgal

tandemgal Senior Member

Jeni,

I love the martingale. Emma is master of escape from a regular collar - one time she slipped out when we were next to a busy highway! Gave me a heart attack.

I went to the harness so The Girls couldn't slip out of them. But they seem uncomfortable for keeping on them all the time - and a hassle to put on just for a quick walk around the block.

The martingale is simple to slip over their head and if they try to pull away the collar tightens up, they cant slip out. When they don't pull the collar is loose like a regular collar. This is the only collar I am going to use from now on.

5. Jeni D

Jeni D Senior Member

What size did you get for your girls?

6. milles2

milles2 Senior Member

I use Martingdale collars regularly. As a matter of fact, it's the only collar I'd but these days.

My two will pull on occasion but tons of "heal" parctice in Obedience Class has tought them what is and isn't acceptable. The instructor encouraged everyone to use choke chains and for bigger and stronger dogs, prong collars.

I just don't like the idea. So Martingdale collars became the comprimise and I have used them ever since. They pull now and then but actually the correction they get from the M collar reminds them what is acceptable.

7. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Ok, here's my opinion, first, IMO you don't need to change collars you need to change your method. Teach him to heel. Teach him "easy" or "no pulling" Teach him the right way to walk. It can be done on any collar.

And better than being a tree is changing direction. Yeah, he'll fall off balance a few times, but he'll get the message. (My mom is a nut and I have to keep a close eye on her as she never knows where she's going.) When he gets suprised you just say something like "what happened? You'd better watch me."

As for harnesses, well, they allow a dog to pull even more. IMO a harness should only be used for a dog that can't wear a collar due to a neck injury. Harnesses do not give you as much control as a collar.

Martingale collars are ok, but won't be a magic cure all for teaching a dog to walk on a leash properly. They can pull with a martengale just as much as they can with a buckle collar. (And I prefer the limited slip collars myself.)

For training I prefer a training collar, aka "choke" collar. Used properly they do not choke a dog and are a great training tool.

You might consider obedience classes too. Those would be a great help for you and teach him to walk nicley as well as sit and stay, etc.

Peggy

8. Jeni D

Jeni D Senior Member

We've done basic obedience classes and Dudley has an excellent sit, down, stay. We are looking into getting him to an intermediate class in the near future; although the deadline for the winter class has sadly passed us by :( It's just when we get out in public and he sees all the animals and people he just wants to tug and pull so badly to get to them. I agree there is no replacement to teaching him the right way to walk.

We went to our local pet store today to try and find a martingale collar, but alas, no such luck. We ended up trying on a variety of harnesses though and I ended up coming home with one. I know that people say it makes them pull harder, but so far, I have seem a major improvement in his walking. He actually stops and looks back at me frequently and he's not gagging or having his eyes turn red from the strain on his neck, so I am very happy.

I'm still going to look for a martingale collar, but for the time being, this seems to be working as well as does the practice we have been putting in. I've never been a huge fan of "choke" collars as I have seen them used improperly way too many times.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice guys!

9. gemjunkie

gemjunkie Member

I've been working with my dog for the last 3 weeks very regularly. Before that I started her training but, wasn't quite so adamant about it. She had sit and down before we ever started classes.

I was having trouble with my girl pulling me and trying to rip my arm off, especially in class with other dogs. So, I bought a training collar (AKA prong collar). I ONLY use it while I'm training and it seems as soon as it comes off, all manners outside go out the window..... I fiugure she has to have some rowdie play time anyway.

My dog will do EVERYTHING I want in the house, even W/O a lead but as soon as there are noises, OR other dogs, FORGET IT. I needed more than a choke chain or gentle leader (have tried both of those too). This has been the first time (this week since I got this collar) I've been able to get this little bratty girl to behave for a nearly a whole 15 to 20min session.

I'm sincerely hoping, she will 'figure it out' that if she just listens (doesn't pull my arm off), she won't have to wear the pokey thing. I still feel guilty about putting this dang contraption on her *sigh*..... I just don't know what else to do, other than hook her up to a cart and put my kids in it, letting her pull to her hearts content! ;)

10. milles2

milles2 Senior Member

It's interesting how much obedience classes vary. My dog training club over does heeling in my opinion. Both Tucker and Lulu have been in basic classes that never even teach leash walking.

And it very important on many levels.

11. Jeni D

Jeni D Senior Member

Susan
    It is strange how much obedience classes differ. My obedience class ran stay and down into the ground, but only briefly touched on leash walking--and their method was the method where when the dog is pulling you immediately give the leash a jerk and turn around the other direction. This didn't phase Dudley in the slightest and just happily began pulling the other direction. We never even touched on the heal command, which I find would have been very beneficial.

12. ZdogZ

ZdogZ Senior Member

There is an obedience class starting in February in the town 20 miles away. I am going to call them Monday to get more information. I am seriously thinking about enrolling Zia. There is also a dog show this coming weekend. There was an article about it in today's paper. One lady said she would be there with her corgi. She said she has shown corgis for 17 years. I am going to try to go.

13. Jeni D

Jeni D Senior Member

It will be interesting to see what types of things they teach there.

14. gemjunkie

gemjunkie Member

I'm actually hoping to train my girl enough to atempt to show her. I'm starting to wonder if I have the patients to do it with this little wild child. :p

I personally think I'm asking alot of a puppy that JUST truned 5 months. I think she's doing pretty darn good so far, especially being willing to actually listen to me, even if it's just alone with each other in the house so far!

I notice each week, at class, she is able to hold her attention on me a little longer each time. I guess that's all I can hope for.

I just wonder how people get puppies trained enough to get them showing by 4 months??? And, since I know they can and do, what in the world am I doing wrong that I can't hold my girls attention? :eek: