Most popular dog names in New Zealand

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Michael Romanos, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

The current list of the most popular dog names in New Zealand has this as its top 11:

In order of popularity:

Bella
    Ruby
    Charlie
    Max
    Molly
    Coco
    Oscar
    Millie
    Ollie
    Jack

Bella is also the number one name for cats.

2. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

The best name for a dog is any one they'll return to if, and when, called. Each day, I see signs plastered on trees and lamp posts in my neighborhood: "LOST DOG, REWARD..." If their dog escapes and runs far away from home, why's it assumed (the dog wishes to return)?

If you have a dog that doesn't come when called or pay you any mind...Are you a dog "owner"? Or, a prison warden?

3. Michael Romanos

Teaching Fletcher or Fletch to fetch is difficult because the words are too similar but I could use a different word or even the Chinese word for fetching.

While dogs have a fantastic sixth sense which can enable many dogs to find their way back home from long distances, some dogs just don't have so much of this ability among their sixth sense armoury and do get lost or disoriented especially if they are under stress.

Why is BELLA so popular????

4. eva

eva Junior Member

That sounds a bit harsh. Don't you think some dogs have a high prey drive. And they might start following a deer in the woods and then they don't know how to return. Other dogs may be in love with food and can be coaxed into a backyard. Other dogs may simply follow a female in heat ... And on top of that they can get injured, scared ... Then there are broken fences, people teasing dogs, new noises and traffic accident, earthquakes ... I agree you shouldn't let the dog off leash if you are not totally confident that he/she will return when you call him/her. But accidents happen. Collars brake, heads can slip through, leashes can be dropped, dogs get scared ...

Hearing Bella I always think of Twilight saga lol

5. Michael Romanos

Fletcher is only 13 weeks of age and has been off-leash in parks for nearly three weeks now - after the second day I got him. Recalling a dog takes time in actual distracting circumstances and learnt from experience.