Nail Trimming Issues

Discussion in 'Grooming & Care' started by like, Apr 1, 2014.

1. like

like Junior Member

So Maple is about 5 months old. Up until now, she's had her nails trimmed at the groomers and they said she didn't put up too much of a fuss. However, I tried it at home 2 months ago and she cried and cried like a little baby. Then she hid under the bed and wouldn't come out for the rest of the day.

I've trimmed a dog's nails before and know I'm not physically hurting her because I'm not cutting the quick. Should I keep going even if she's whining? I give her treats after every nail but she starts crying and doesn't even want to eat them. I don't want her to think of nail cutting as a bad experience so I haven't tried doing it in the last 2 months. Her nails are getting long though and she's due for a trim. She doesn't mind when I grab her paws and tug on her nails or press on them with my hand. But the minute she sees the nail trimmers, she starts crying. I don't know what to do!

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Of my six Corgis I (or anyone else) have only had to trim the nails of one of them - and only once.

If a Corgi has a normal tread (ie places each foot squarely flat on the ground when they move and has frequent access to walking etc on concrete or asphalt (such as driveways, paving and roading) then there is no need to trim their nails.

Most dogs would cringe and resist nail trimming and if they see any such trimming equipment they will run a mile - so your Corgi is no exception.. It is better if a stranger does the job esp a professional one and that gets you off the hook and prevents you from being in your Corgi's bad books. I would not think that nail trimming needs to be any more regular than every two months.

The whole process is to be as gentle and non evasive as possible, not to contribute to the fearfulness of your dog and to use the praise and and reward methods.

MR likes this

3. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

I have major issues with Duncan and getting his nail trimmed. So much that now, I have him knocked out to get them done. Like your dog, he cries and fights the whole time. After once trying to keep him down for a nail trim and 3 of us couldn't handle him, I opted for the sedation.

Having him sedated also makes it easier for vet to get any blood work done. I also have his ear cleaned at that time. Anything I can think of that is needed while he is sedated. In fact, he goes this Thursday and he is getting nails trimmed, teeth cleaned, ears cleaned, heartworm test and any needed boosters.

4. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Yes, giving in will only make her fight harder the next time. She's not dying, even if she thinks she is!

I've had some that were this way. I start trimming nails at one week of age when I have a litter and still I've had a couple that were horrible at having their nails done.

She's going to think that anyway, so just do them. If you do them every couple weeks it will be faster than waiting. Less to take off means less time doing it.

Just do it and ignore the whining. She'll get over it. Give her a treat when you're done if she won't eat any while you're doing the nails.

Peggy

5. Cardiguy

Cardiguy Senior Member

Hopefully as you corgi ages she will let you do anything to her if you start out correctly.

My 12 yr old corgi trusts me completely and will let me do anything to her. She lays down and waits for "it" to be over. When it is over, she demands her treat-which she immediately gets. I get the feeling WWIII would start if I did not give her a treat afterwards.

6. Summer

Summer Member

Summer always walked on the sidewalk (concrete) except when going potty, when she would move to the grass. She still needed her nails trimmed, which she did herself on her back paws. On the front paws, it took 4 people to hold her down for the vet or tech to get the one's Summer didn't chew off. Summer bit her Dad the one time we tried to do it ourselves (grew up with dogs, Mom bred Dachshunds, so we knew were taught how to take care of dogs).

The two new Corgi's have the same sidewalks to go on and their nails also need trimming. We haven't bothered to try it ourselves.

7. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Well, they have not got a 'normal treading action.

One of the things that one does when A/ looking at a Corgi to own and B/ raising a Corgi from day one, is to pick them up and feel their feet, play a little with their feet, hold on to their feet and inspect their feet because Corgis and their owners have a lifetime of hands to feet - not only for trimming nails and the hair that grows inbetween the pads for daily health inspection and because feet and their parts can get damaged and injured. So it is important that Corgis get at ease with their feet being touched and tampered with in progressing this from day one and prior to day one (because before uplifting a puppy from the breeder signs of unusual displeasure could be displayed) .

MR likes this