New Corgi Owner Questions!

Discussion in 'General Puppy Discussions' started by akrustin98, Dec 29, 2014.

1. akrustin98

akrustin98 Junior Member

Hi all! I'm bringing home my new puppy in a few weeks, and I can't wait! I decided on a beautiful red and white female. I've never owned a young corgi puppy before, so I'm very eager to learn a little bit more before she comes home with me! I've researched a ton about corgis, but everyone has mixed views on everything, and it is a bit confusing!

1.) What are your favorite toys to give your corgi to occupy and entertain them? I've heard a lot of great things about kong toys, but I've also been told to avoid some of the rawhide toys at first since they might be too hard for their baby teeth.

2.) What is the best way to introduce her to our older female Dachshund?

3.) Should I feed her a combination of wet and dry food, or should I just feed dry kibble? I've seen a lot of discussion on here about feeding and different techniques. I'm a little confused on how to best feed my puppy since their are so many different views out there. I think I'm just going to consult my breeder about feeding, but I am interested to hear y'all's techniques as well.

4.) When is it safe to start letting my puppy socialize with other dogs outside of my home? I've heard mixed things about young puppies and sicknesses such as Parvo. I want to be cautious in order to keep my puppy healthy!

Thanks in advance!:walk::wiggle::run: :)

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Hi

First off I hope that the Corgi puppy you are bringing home in a few weeks will at least be nine weeks of age because any sooner will make things so much more difficult and of course the development aspects are extremely important.

"Rawhide toys" are not 'toys' . The best toys for a young puppy are hard wearing toys for the attempts to rip, tear and bite incessantly and even a dog-safe old slipper. As well, interactive toys are great for dogs of any age and toys to occupy the mind such as canine toys that randomly speak, make sounds or do movements. Best avoid rawhide for puppies and adult dogs because they can cause health issues.

The introduction of a Corgi puppy to an adult Dachshund is actually the other way round - intro your Dachs to the puppy and ensure that your Dachs is not overwhelmed by what should be a spirited and ultra playful Corgi pup. Depending on the size of your Dachs - miniature or standard - Corgis are a different level of energy and expressiveness.

The basis for a healthy adult dog with a long, quality and active life is what and how they are fed as puppies. I would opt for a mixture of premium lowish calorie, high protein puppy-only stage dry food and wet food and mixed in with small pieces (shredded or diced as appropriate) of appropriate vegetables with fresh and raw being the best option (apart from corn which should be well boiled). The main part of the meals should be kibble with the others as supplements of up to 25%. The number of apportioned mealtimes per day is important - the more the better but usually 3-4. You should also soften the kibble a little by adding a very small amount of luke-warm water on the kibble you are about to add to her food bowl and wait a few minutes for the water to soak in.

Don't be afraid (over cautious) to take your puppy in the outside world ASAP - say for toilet walks - but keep her away from dogs you don't know about and any dog faeces until she has completed her programme of vaccinations through the vet clinics which usually is 'wrapped' up before puppies turn 3 months.

MR likes this

3. Barbriella

Barbriella Junior Member

Congrats on your new family memeber! Post pictures of her when you bring her home!!

As for the toys, my female corgi has tons of hello kitty toys ranging from squekies to teethers and she loves them. She will preoccupy herself with them before we go to bed and while I'm getting ready for work. I also gave her a rawhide bone but I supervise her time with it to avoid any issues it can cause. My older male corgi plays with squeaky toys but loves to take all the stuffing out of them.

As for introducing, I just let my two corgis do it on their own terms. Rinoa, my female was scared of Squall, my male, but got over it really quick. But he's only 11 months old and she's 4 months old so they're both puppies.

As for food everyone on this forum is going to tell you their opinion. Both my female and male started out on purina puppy chow. I've never had any issues with it but I recently switched to Blue Buffalo Puppy. They love it BUT oh man does it give them some gas. Haha. But feed your puppy the best you can afford. And if you can't afford to do the supplement thing like I always see on here don't worry about it, dry kibble is good too. :) Just afford what you can, I know people get on to some for not supplementing or whatever but not everyone is mad rich!!! Im just a manicurist and salon life can be slow depending on the season so I can't afford to do the fancy supplement thing. But either way your corgi will love you no matter what as long as you keep him/her healthy and happy.

As for socializing keep her away from strange dogs you don't know and away from other dogs droppings. Socializing is very important at her age with many animals and people.

Good luck with your new puppy!!! :lay:

4. Michael Romanos

Barbriella - you brought up a few interesting points.

If your Corgi's get "gas" from the food that they are given then something is amiss with their diet. Dogs should not get stomach upsets that promote farting or burping.

The addition of supplementaries (such as wet food and veggies) to dog's meals are or can be much CHEAPER than the cost of dry processed commercial dog food. The wet food I supplement to Corgis is very much cheaper than the kibble and the veggies cost me virtually nothing because it is not really any more than I put out for myself and my family. One must remember that the overall total food given a Corgi daily with mixing food appropriate for dogs is still the same ie no increase in food, only that there is less kibble provided.

MR likes this

5. Barbriella

Barbriella Junior Member

Well it's quite normal gas. Both my corgis do not have upset stomachs what so ever. Switching them to BB has made them far more active. Also my vet sees nothing wrong with them.

6. Michael Romanos

Regular farting (flatulence) or burping is not "normal" despite what your vet says/think, and should be remedied ASAP. The most common reason (but definitely not only) reason for all this 'wind' is something in their diet that is upsetting and affecting their digestive system.

MR likes this

7. Barbriella

Barbriella Junior Member

I trust my vet and have for years. My mom and step dad have two perfectly healthy boxers and they are champions of gas and running us out of the house. They're healthy and active as ever and the vet says it's nothing to be worried about, so I'm not worried about it. Not trying to argue or disagree with anything you're saying because it can be an issue, but if my vet tells me one thing I'll trust them. Not that it's important, but I also took some college canine science classes before I decide to not be a vet tech so I know a few things thankfully. My corgis have always had gas since day one, even on purina puppy chow.

Now I'd appreciate to not be talked down to like I know nothing about my two corgis if you and everyone else dont mind. I joined this forum to share the corgi love, not to be pushed into other people's views and to be told what I'm doing is wrong.

Akrustin98, I'm sorry that you question turned into a huge disagreement discussion. I didn't mean for it to be that way, again I'm sorry.

8. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

Don't wish to go back and forth...The reality is dog and human digestive physiology are pretty similar. Vets will give the following common sense advice to all their customers...

...Dogs may fart, regularly. If it smells bad, it's likely something in their diet that's new. If you don't mind, don't bother. Dogs should not vomit, regularly. Dogs should not have diarrhea, regularly. Dogs should not appear weak or lethargic. If you're unsure, take a stool sample to your vet and he'll examine and analyze for disease/worms. Corgis don't normally gulp lots of air when they eat as oppose to bulldogs or boxers (blunt-nosed breeds tend to fart more). Aside from the occasional ear mite, my pems don't fart nor give off bad odors (so I'm told).

I supplement (with veggies, lean proteins & occasionally fish oil) to save. Period. It's more work just as is cooking and working out, daily. People who supplement (or make their own dog food) don't have more money than those that don't (supplement). It's a "calculated" choice, nothing more, nothing less.

9. Barbriella

Barbriella Junior Member

Well I don't mind my corgis being gassy because I've dealt with it since day one of adding them to my family. Neither one of my corgis are lethargic or weak, they are highly energetic and run around the house and in the yard for supervised outside time. They don't vomit or have runng stools. I'm not concerned about them at all when it comes to their healthy because I take them to the vet regularly and take very good care of them. But thank you all for being concerned for my corgis being gassy, but I live with them so I know what's normal for them and what's not. I've made the choice to not supplement with dry kibble and it's MY choice. If anyone else who owns a corgi decides to just feed dry kibble they shouldn't be scolded for it. Everyone's entitled to their opinions but telling someone it's wrong because they disagree is plain rude.

I hope you have a pleasant day.

:)