New Puppy

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by Volntitan, May 6, 2013.

1. Volntitan

Volntitan Member

Feeding him Orijen Adult. Still mixing it, but no problems yet, although have some canned pumpkin waiting in the wings. I went with Adult instead of the puppy or large puppy breed based on what I've read and the fact that the breeder was feeding him adult science diet...although it is all confusing. Now wonder if I should have gotten the large breed puppy.

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

What you have is fine. Stick with your decision.

Peggy

3. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

I agree with Peggy here. Switching around too much and too fast is one of the top reasons for puppies to have tummy troubles. I would stick with the Orijen you bought, switch slowly and give time for the puppy to acclimate to the new food.

Emilie

4. Volntitan

Volntitan Member

Doing the switch slowly and he is handling well so far. I was under the impression I should give him adult instead of puppy. I can easily return the adult for the puppy version if I'm wrong

5. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

You're right, at least in my opinion.

Peggy

6. Volntitan

Volntitan Member

Well he didn't like Orijen so took it back and got Fromm's Game Bird. May or maynot be as highly thought of as Orijen, but he loves it. Woofed it down this morning. First time since we brought him home that he ate everything put in front of him.

7. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

I don't think switching food products "too much" causes stomach problems - I think incorrect switching methods can cause this problem.

Michael Romanos likes this.

8. Volntitan

Volntitan Member

He wasn't or isn't having stomach problems. What he was having was "I don't like this food so I'm not going to eat it" problems.

9. Dillydoodle

Dillydoodle Senior Member

Fromms game bird is currently what I am feeding my boys and they really do love it and are doing well on it. I am glad that your little guy likes it.. It really is a good quality food and I like the company.

As for switching too much, Michael, what i mean is that a lot of people switch to one food over the course of a week or so (a relatively slow transition, and i say relatively since i switch my guys to a new food over the course of a month to prevent tummy issues which mine have had in the past) and the dog has soft poops, or is not liking the food, is gassy, or whatever and so they immediately switch to something else (again over the course of a week or whatever) but they will keep doing this over and over to try and find a food that agrees with their dog, never fully giving the dog a chance to fully acclimate to the new food before another switch is made.... That is what i meant by my comment about switching too much.

Emilie

10. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

I think it is important for owners to find the best quality and likeable food for their dogs and this often means 'playing' the field. Getting sample packets or the smallest packet/tin available is the best way to proceed in order to keep costs down and prevent wastage. The method of shifting the MAIN parts of meals is a gradual introduction of the new food spread over several days. But this does not apply to supplementing your Corgi's meals with a changing variety of other foods such as fresh food, so long as it does not constitute more than 20% of the daily meals.

Michael Romanos likes this

11. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Your puppy is ADORABLE! Sorry if I missed it, but what is his name? Such a cutie!

A late answer to your question:
    It's actually the calcium to phophorus ratio, in basic terms the bone to meat ratio, but some time ago (before the ratio was known about) it was thought to be high protein. Lower protein foods don't usually bust the ratio, so that is kind of how the lower protein foods for some puppy breeds came about. If the ratio is too high from all the "extras" in regular puppy food, it can lead to growth plate problems in slowly developing (mostly large & giant, but also includes corgi) breeds. It's not ususally listed on the bag or website, so an easy way to stay "safe" (without making a lot of phone calls and doing a bunch of math) in selecting a food, is to stick with all life stage adult or a large breed puppy (which came about specifically because of this problem) food since they do not contain as high a level of those puppy "extras."

As to the "best" food, I agree it's one your puppy/dog thrives on, fits into your budget, and your dog will eat. I had a corgi who hated (HATED) lamb and fish. He ate it every day only very reluctantly (we were trying to see if it would help a skin/auto immune condition), to survive, and was a much more enthusiastic eater with other proteins he actually enjoyed. Everyone has a different opinion, every dog is different, and it can take some time to find the right food for your pup . Good luck and enjoy your new little guy! He is darling!

12. Volntitan

Volntitan Member

Thanks for the kind words LaRogue! We are enjoying him immensely. Keeps us in stitches. That's what makes Corgi's great...the quirky personality. And the zooming...how can I forget the zooming.

Well just as I say he loves his new food, now he is balking a bit at it. He ate hardly any this morning until I threw in a little cottage cheese. I think he is more interested in playing and exploring. Once he realizes his dish will only be down for him for a limited time, he should become more focused.

Now we are looking a puppy classes. Of course everything started a week before we got him and the next sessions don't start until middle/end of June. Will probably end up at Petco. Not great, but need to get him in somewhere.

13. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Try feeding him in his crate. Give him about 20 min. then take the food away. NO food until the next scheduled meal time. If you are consistent he WILL learn to eat when you want him to.

Peggy

14. Volntitan

Volntitan Member

I wet his food and he gobbles it now. Also will add some earthborn holistic canned as a treat sometimes...really loves that!