OFA search

Discussion in 'General Corgi Discussions' started by Jatmoinpet, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Jatmoinpet

Jatmoinpet New Member

Hi, I have been in contact with a corgi breeder and when I asked her in an email if she would be including the genetic medical records of the sire and dam of our future puppy she stopped contacting me and wouldnt return our call or emails. I called from work (a number she wouldn't recognize) and she finally answered the phone and totally did a 360 and will no longer have a pup for us. Things have changed she said and she no longer has a puppy and wouldn't give any further explanation. Needless to say our kids are disappointed. We hadn't made the long trip yet or sent any money yet thank goodness. I looked up on the OFA site and the last entry was 2015 and none of the sire and dams from this litter are listed although she claims the tests have been done. Is this a reliable way to check if a breeder has entered her dogs for genetic tests. I don't know for sure if that's what caused her abrupt change of heart but it seems obvious to me this is why.

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Don't deal with this breeder.

You should ask for evidence and expect to get it. And any good breeder should always be a willing and helpful communicator. This breeder has something to hide for sure. There are plenty more fish in the pond - at least in the USA. Long term health and free from the most common inherited diseases that can befall Corgis and good temperament are the most important factors in getting a Corgi.

Don;t be frightened off from acquiring a Corgi from places where they need to be transported by an airline because your options will be so much greater and with good and recommended breeders they can provide much detail through the internet and help you choose your pup from afar. For example aprt from the USA (and I take it that's where you live), there are also some excellent breeders in Canada.

3. Jatmoinpet

Jatmoinpet New Member

I live in Ontario Canada. This breeder is In southern Ontario. I always feel sorry for these pups on an airplane all alone. And I wouldn't know where to start.

4. Michael Romanos

I could find you some excellent breeders in Canada and the USA. The shipment of Corgi pups is easy as and the costs of shipment is not all that great and it saves you fuel and travel expenses. Any distance within Canada and the USA is not too taxing for a pup and the way around this is to ensure that the pup is at least 10-12 weeks of age which for any situation is the best age to take a pup from his/her birth home. A good breeder will be able to cover off anything and make it all streamline and provide plenty of information and photos of the pup they help choose for you based on what you want. Of course the shipment will be from airport to airport so any further arrangements are yours but road transport can be also arranged I am sure. I have helped to get people in Singapore and Hong Kong Corgi pups from New Zealand and this involves at least a 14 hour trip. For that kind of duration, the pups needs to be over three months of age.

If you want my help on finding a good breeder let me know.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  5. Jatmoinpet

Jatmoinpet New Member

I've read online to avoid place that ship puppies so I never considered it. i would like to know more bcause I am definitely nervous about acquiring a dog not in person!!

6. Michael Romanos

Well the call is yours but you are wrong in your assumption. The best Corgis in the world are often those who get shipped to a new owner. We have internationally recognised breeders in NZ who export many Corgis overseas including to such areas as Scandinavia and Russia let alone Canada and the USA

7. Jatmoinpet

Jatmoinpet New Member

Can you explain the process to he first. Thank you

8. Jatmoinpet

Jatmoinpet New Member

I sent you a message in your inbox asking about a breeder last week!

9. Michael Romanos

The 'process' is in finding breeders that are recommended and who are good communicators and are willing to ship their Corgis sometimes through a Pet Transporter but also by their own personal arrangements. The process is through telephoning and emailing and many of the breeders have their own websites.

It can also transpire that the potential buyer can personally visit pups when they are over five-six weeks of age and possibly make a choice and then have the chosen pup shipped once the pup has turned over nine weeks of age. I did this with Fletcher when he was eight weeks of age and he was shipped by air about three weeks later. With Taylor I simply asked the breeder to choose a pup for me and eventually have him shipped to me. Taylor arrived at 13.5 weeks of age at the Wellington airport for me and my family to pick up. Taylor was from an international champion father ( USA, Canada, Australia and NZ champ).