Opinion on these Pupcakes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by missfancypants25, Sep 24, 2008.

1. missfancypants25

missfancypants25 Senior Member

I was looking up Pupcakes on the internet and this is the recipie that popped up most often, so I'd like to know what you guys think about it.

1 large apple
    1 1/2 cups wheat flour
    1/4 cup oatmeal
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons honey 2 eggs
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese

For the Frosting
    8 oz Neufchatel Cheese (lowfat cream cheese)
    2 tablespoons plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons honey
    2-3 tablespoons flour

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 ° F (200 ° C). Grease muffin tins.

Core, slice and mince the apple (use a food processor if you have one). Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, blend together the yogurt, water, oil, honey, and eggs, then stir in the apple and cheese. Add to the flour mixture and stir until mixed.

Spoon into the muffin tins, filling each cup about three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let rest in the muffin tins for a few minutes, then remove and set aside to cool.

For the frosting, combine the Neufchatel cheese (at room temperature), honey, and yogurt until smooth. Add enough flour to thicken the frosting to a good spreading consistency. Frost the pupcakes and you're ready for a doggone good party!

Makes 16-18 pupcakes. If you prefer a single-layer cake, spoon the batter into a sheet pan and bake for an extra 15-20 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean). Let the cake cool, then frost and decorate.

:wiggle: Whitney :wiggle:

2. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Sounds ok as long as your dog is ok with wheat flour. Most are so I'd give them a try. (And report back with how well they went over!)

Here's a link to more recipes, just in case you'd like to try some others.

Teva's Treats

Peggy

3. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

4. missfancypants25

missfancypants25 Senior Member

Thanks for the links, Peggy. There's some good ideas on there. Waeryn's first birthday is on Tuesday, so I was thinking of making some cupcakes to take to the dog park. I was planning on printing out a recipie for each cupcake so that the other people know what's in them and so they can make them at home, if they'd like. I can't believe my baby puppy is going to be a year old! Time goes by fast. =)

5. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Instead of vegetable oil, I'd use Canola.
    Baking powder and baking soda are on the no-no list for feeding dogs but I'd halve the recipe's recommended quantity and I don't think one teaspoon of BP and a quarter teaspoon of BS mixed into such a large mixture will do much damage.

6. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

On baking powder and baking soda as ingredients:

Dry Ingredients for Dogs
    Baking powder: Baking powder is a mix of baking soda, cornstarch, and cream of tartar. It is a leavening powder that can be either double acting or single acting, both of which are easily available.
    Baking soda: Baking soda is also known as bicarbonate of soda and it is used for leavening baked foods. Baking soda lets off gas bubbles when it is mixed with acidic products and this makes the dough rise. Make sure to always put baking soda in with other dry ingredients and to add it in before putting the liquid into the ingredients.

Our Woofable Treats
    Read the ingredient lists.

As ingredients in an item, in which they will help whatever is being made rise, not a problem.

Now should a dog get a hold of either baking soda or baking powder and ingest a lot then:
    Dangerous Foods: Are They Harmful to Your Dog
    Baking Powder and Baking Soda. Baking soda and baking powder are both leavening agents. A leavening agent is a common ingredient in baked goods that produces a gas causing batter and dough to rise. Baking soda is simply sodium bicarbonate. Baking powder consists of baking soda and an acid, usually cream of tartar, calcium acid phosphate, sodium aluminum sulfate or a mixture of the three. Ingestion of large amounts of baking soda or baking powder can lead to electrolyte abnormalities (low potassium, low calcium and/or high sodium), congestive heart failure or muscle spasms.

Pet Uses for baking soda:
    What Are Some Pet-Related Uses for Baking Soda?
    Pet Hygiene

* Keep your dog’s teeth tartar-free and his breath sweet by brushing his teeth with baking soda. Ask your vet to recommend a suitable toothbrush for your dog. Moisten the toothbrush with water, then dip the tips of the bristles into baking soda to coat. Gently brush his teeth with a circular motion, then rinse with tepid water.
    * Baking soda is a wonderful dry shampoo for dogs. Rub baking soda into the dog’s coat, then brush thoroughly to remove.
    * When bathing a long-haired breed of dog, try adding a couple of tablespoons (about 30 g) of baking soda to her bath. The baking soda will leave her coat shiny and tangle-free.
    * If your pet is unlucky enough to be sprayed by a skunk, you can mix the following to use as a deodorizing shampoo: 1 quart (1 liter) 3% hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup (60 g) baking soda, 1 teaspoon mild dishwashing liquid. Massage this into your pet’s fur, taking care to avoid eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. The areas around the eyes and nose can be coated with a thin layer of petroleum jelly to prevent the mixture from running into them and irritating the mucus membranes. Rinse well with clear lukewarm water. Repeat process as needed. Note: Although effective, this solution may have a bleaching effect on the dog’s fur.
    * If your dog is stung by a bee, remove the stinger and apply a thick paste of baking soda and water.

Cleanup

* To eradicate lingering pet odors from carpets and upholstery, sprinkle baking soda liberally over pre-cleaned, dry areas. Let stand for 15 minutes, then vacuum. Repeat if needed.
    * Periodically wash pet toys and dishes in a solution of ¼ cup (60 g) baking soda dissolved in 1 quart (1 liter) warm water. Rinse well and dry.
    * When washing soiled pet blankets and towels, add ½ cup (120 g) baking soda to the wash along with the detergent to increase its effectiveness. To get rid of especially tough odors, add ½ to 1 cup (120 to 240 g) of baking soda during the rinse cycle.

Debbie

7. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

I wanted to make some of those for Duncan and Chloe, but Duncan is allergic to wheat and corn flour......so he usually gets frosty paws and beef jigglers for his birthdays

8. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Pip has the same problem with wheat. Maybe ground oats or something else could be used as a substitute? What are beef jigglers? I don't think I've seen or heard of them.

9. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

Can you substitue rice flour?

Peggy

10. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

I haven't tried rice flour or thought of it. I wonder if you would use the same measuring or more?

Beef jigglers are made with beef broth and unflavored gelatin. I'll have to look for the recipe. Duncan wasn't real thrilled over the texture of them. He would put in it his mouth and then drop it out and look at it like "what in the world is this?"

11. Louwants

Louwants Senior Member

Well, I found one for chicken jigglers, you can use beef broth....sodium free of course!

Doggy Jigglers

Ingredients:
    1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
    3 envelopes unflavored gelatin

Directions:
    Heat to a boil one cup (8 oz.) of the chicken broth in a saucepan. Put remaining broth into a small mixing bowl and add the gelatin, but do not mix. Add heated broth to gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Pour mixuture into an 8" X 8" pan. Chill in refrigerator until firm. Cut the gelatin into squares or use cookie cutters to cut into fun dog shapes. Note: you may need to dip the pan into warm water to loosen the squares. Leftovers (if there are any!) can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.

12. Michael Romanos

In short, Debbie: baking powder and baking soda taken in moderately sizeable amounts can lead a dog to electrolyte abnormalities, congestive heart failure and/or muscle spasms.

13. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

No Michael, in short: "Ingestion of large amounts of baking soda or baking powder can lead to electrolyte abnormalities (low potassium, low calcium and/or high sodium), congestive heart failure or muscle spasms.

This would be IF a dog got a hold of a box of baking soda or a tin of baking powder and ate the whole thing, not in the amounts used as ingredients in dog treats, kibble, etc., etc., etc., and so on ...

Debbie

14. jakort1

jakort1 Senior Member

Would Rye flour be any different from wheat? I've seen recipes that use it, but, I don't know if it would be sufficiently different from wheat flour.

15. MyPemCharlie

MyPemCharlie Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Rye flour is an excellent substitute for wheat flour if a dog is allergic to wheat, not to gluten in general. Both rye and wheat are high in gluten, so they make baked goods bind together really well.

High gluten grains: wheat, rye, spelt, barley, short-grained rice

Low or no-gluen grains: amaranth, buckwheat, corn, kamut, millet, quinoa, triticale, (long-grain rice has less gluten than short-grain rice)

Oats are not gluten-free, but apparently have a different type of gluten that is better tolerated than glutenous grains that cause a reaction in some individuals.

The best substitute for wheat flour may be kamut flour. Interestingly this grain is an unhybridized strain of wheat, but is low-gluten, can be substituted directly for wheat flour, and usually does not cause an allergic reaction the same as winter wheat.

16. LaRogue

LaRogue Senior Member

Peggy's link to Doggie Treat Recipes has a Special Dietary Needs section near the end. It has suggestions for wheat substitutions. Maybe you can find an idea there. :)

I've heard different things about oats: they're gluten free, they aren't gluten free, and that they are gluten free, but often contaminated with gluten (?). I have no idea which is the real deal...I DO know Pip can eat them!

17. Michael Romanos

I think the point about baking soda and baking powder is two fold: would you feed or allow your Corgi to have moderately large amounts of these ingredients, and that it is advisable to keep these ingredients down to very small amounts for absolute safety reasons.
    A celebrated American vet has these two ingredients as part of his five harmful foods to keep away from dogs.

18. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

A) I'm not going to be sprinkling baking powder or baking soda over my dogs' meals, nor am I going to be feeding either ingredient raw to them.

B) Are you still giving Taylor his toast? Baking powder, baking soda and yeast are ingredients in bread. Yeast can be harmful to dogs, if they get into rising dough. Ingredients change their composition with baking. Yeast does not continue to rise after the bread is baked.

Cite your source - even when writers misquote, like I was in the NC Picnic article, they at least credit the source. So just who is this "celebrated American vet"?

Debbie

19. Peggy

Peggy Senior Member

All our vets here have names. He/she can't be very "celebrated" without a name. Please give names when you cite someone like this. We'd like to know who they are and if they are "celebrated" it should be a name we Americans are familiar with.

Peggy

20. Michael Romanos

I think youi have hit the main point, Debbie: don't sprinkle baking powder or bakong soda in the direction of your Corgi.
    Vogel's bread has no baking powder or baking soda but it does have nutritional yeast. According to the AMVA (American Veterinary Medical Association) nutritional yeast is ok for dogs ( but I wouldn't sprinkle baking yeast in the direction of Corgis either). Of course Brewer's Yeast is recommended for dogs and many years ago, I use to regularly give my Corgis a Brewer's yeast tablet.
    Taylor gets his bit of toasted Vogel bread nearly every morning and the days he doesn't get any, he's grumpy for awhile - maybe that yeast is like an addicted drug