Opinion on these Pupcakes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by missfancypants25, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Kirsty.A

Kirsty.A Member

But NO ONE, with a right mind, would sprinkle baking soda or powder on their dog’s food anyway. I mean really, not even a stupid person would do that because they just wouldn't think of such a silly thing! From what I’ve gathered you make out like everyone besides yourself is either really stupid or just unknowledgeable to do with anything to do with animal nutrition (and maybe other things in separate cases). Although I am merely still learning about such things it is obvious to me that many people here have a deep knowledge of such things and such comments can and WILL be interrupted as offensive. I’m not trying to be horrible here; it’s just part of being part of any community.

On subject, I’ve never personally made anything like this for a dog before but I’m really excited to try something for our new pup now! Though I recall when I was little, my older sister and I baked a cake for one of our dog’s birthdays and made a fresh vanilla sponge for her (and us).

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Kirsty A - the things said about baking soda and baking powder come from far more knowledgeable people than myself and these Americans have cause to remind the dog owning public about the dangers of these two ingredients which are common in baking. Baking soda also is a common cleaning and purifying agent and so can be left around inadvertingly for dogs to access. I use baking soda to clean my kitchen benches etc and I add a tablespoon every 4-6 weeks to the spa pool.

3. glencorgi

glencorgi Senior Member

Some interesting finds here for baking soda.

Baking Soda Toothpaste for Dogs & Cats offered by Drs. Foster & Smith
    Dental Care: Baking Soda Toothpaste for Dogs & Cats by Drs. Foster & Smith

Some others:
    No-Rinse Dog Toothpaste Gel
    No-Rinse Toothpaste Gel

The No-Rinse Toothpaste Gel attacks bad odor and soothes gums. It is non-toxic and contains natural baking soda formula. Now with this gel you can prevent bacterial accumulation which leads to bad oral hygiene. The natural aloe vera in this toothpaste gel helps fight plaque formation. This gel effectively fights tartar and is easy to use. Specially formulated it neutralizes the damaging radicals and relieves irritation. This soothing gel is safe for use on dogs, cats, and ferrets. The No-Rinse Toothpaste Gel is a natural protection for delicate gums. It can be used 2-3 times daily for long-lasting good oral hygiene.

* Size: 4 oz tube
    * Cleans teeth and freshens breath
    * Contains natural baking soda formula
    * Contains aloe vera to soothe gums and relieve irritation
    * Non-toxic
    * No-rinse formula
    * Prevent plaque build up
    * Easy to use
    * Safe for use on dogs, cats, and ferrets
    * Use 2-3 times weekly
    * Keep out of reach of children

And from an online store in the UK:
    Dog Toothpaste Gel • Dog Dental & Oral Care • Bonnie Dogs: Dog Clothing, Dog Accessories, Dog Grooming Products, Dog Collars, Dog Beds, Dog Toys, Dog Biscuits, Dog Coats
    This veterinary gel has been designed to effectively & gently clean your dogs teeth, gums & freshen breath. Regular use will help reduce tartar deposits & plaque formation.

Contains natural baking soda & soothing Aloe Vera so is safe for your dog & no rinsing is required. (Do not use human toothpaste on dogs.)

Debbie