Potty training corgi pup

Discussion in 'General Puppy Discussions' started by CeeCeeRed, Jun 2, 2016.

1. CeeCeeRed

CeeCeeRed Member

So we just brought our corgi pup home yesterday and he was very good about going outside for my husband, but i can't seem to get him to go!

Took him out in the morning when he woke up, wouldnt go, then 20 minites after he ate and drank and wouldn't go. Already caught two accidents in the house and brought the napkins i cleaned it with outside to where He pooped last night but all he wants to fo once he's outside is lay doen and sleep.

The last accidrnt i had even taken him outside since he had drank a lot about 15 minutes or so before. Walked him around the potty area so he wouldn't lay down (fors whenever we stop moving).. Wouldnt pee so went back in. Turned around and he had peed!

And ideas?
    What am i doing wrong?
    Or could he actually be able to hold a poop for a few hours longer than I was expecting?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

You have to be persistent and get him to know what is expected so it will take a few days or so, so use the praise and reward method and the slight scolding when he does toilet in the wrong place - which is anywhere inside the house. Stick to giving him as many toilet opportunities as possible without going overboard. Timing is important- eg straight after a meal is too soon.
    It is important not only to clean up his mess but to neutralise the odour so get some application from the pet shop that removes stains and takes away odour at the same time otherwise he'll go back for the 'marked' spot/area every time.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  3. CeeCeeRed

CeeCeeRed Member

He finally went for me mid day and towards the end we had it down.
    My aunt made me mad though when she came to visit. She caught him peeing on the carpet and laughed about it.
    My fault for not taking him out right after his nap but I wish she would have startled him a bit.

My husband is a lot better at this than me, old enough to remember training a puppy. Once he showed me his way after he got home from work Thor and I haven't had any issues other than he does half his buisness and wants to go inside haha.

Ate all his dinner so that was good. And 20 minutes later took him outaide after playing a bit. Got me up at 3 am for a break too.

4. Michael Romanos

Puppies and human babies?????????

5. CeeCeeRed

CeeCeeRed Member

?

6. Michael Romanos

Puppies and human babies can get you up at 3am.

7. CeeCeeRed

CeeCeeRed Member

Oh yes, they can lol. No human banies yet though! Just the fur baby.