Privately owned Dog Park

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Michael Romanos, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Is this a world-first?

Just opened in Upper Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand is a privately owned dog park which can be hired for $20 per hour.

So a single owner with a dog - especially relevant for 'rescued' dogs who may have or cause issues if released in public places and dogs who may be a danger to other dogs - or a group of people with dogs can hire this very attractive grassed and tree-lined fully fenced picnic-like facility which is around 1000 square yards in size. The owner will also offer some agility equipment/obstacles at no cost.

I will be using this facility for one of the monthly Corgi walks and social get-together that I organise. It is very small by comparison with the venues that we usually use but there is the agility factor.

MR likes this

2. pat_m

pat_m Senior Member

Nothing new... We have a few here in the US in NH and Maine. Of the two I can think of - one is associated to a daycare, the other to a take-out resturant...

3. Michael Romanos

Pat - Are the privately owned dog parks you mentioned close to or more than 1000 square yards in size? 1000 square yards is more than 10 football fields.

The other thing is that one presumes one has to be a client or member of a dog day care centre or a customer of a restaurant before they can be utilised by the owner and his/her dog. But this dog park in Upper Hutt is a stand alone and is most often hired exclusively by a dog owner with his/her one or two dogs.

In Upper Hutt a person or people can also hire a dog club with its club facilities and its training etc ground and its full set of agility equipment etc. But this is not like a proper fully grassed dog park with wide open spaces etc.

MR likes this

4. wuzzup

wuzzup Senior Member

Mike. in America, we have many privately owned dog parks that far exceed 10 football fields...They just have cattle on them, too.

5. Michael Romanos

Wuzz - so funny yet so correct. I remember hearing the story as a kid that one can travel inside one major farm in the USA ( in Texas I suppose) for three days and nights and not reach the end of the farm. Can't recall if the travelling was on foot or by horse or indeed by vehicle!

Some private dog park that!!!!

MR likes this