Puppy coming home on June 3rd!

Discussion in 'General Puppy Discussions' started by CeeCeeRed, May 18, 2016.

1. CeeCeeRed

CeeCeeRed Member

My husband and I are bringing home a male corgi puppy on the third of June!
    We are very excited though we know it will be a lot of work.

Any advice would be great! We both work full time, though my husbands schedule is a little more sporadic than mine, to potty and crate training may be a challenge...

2. Michael Romanos

Michael Romanos Active Member Staff Member Moderator

Congrats. Getting a puppy is almost always much better than getting an adult because adults are more likely to come with a lot of baggage/issues.

Make sure you are not getting the pup before he is at least nine weeks of age. Refer to my thread on certification of the parents of the puppy.

There should be someone at home to attend to a puppy until they are at least eight months of age then there should be some day care included such as an hour during a middle part of a normal working day.

3. CeeCeeRed

CeeCeeRed Member

There are only three days a week luckily that he will be alone for an extended period of time, there's not much we can do with our work schedules, unfortunately.

We have someone lined up to come check on him partway through these days so he can be let out to the yard and a bit of play time.

We'll be getting him at anout 8.5 to 9 weeks old, so pretty close to your recommendation:)

4. Michael Romanos

In NZ it is unlawful to take pups under eight weeks of age from their birth home but the recommendation (including from the USA Pembroke Association) is at least nine weeks of age. I got Taylor at 13 weeks and Fletcher at 10.5 weeks.

A Corgi pup up to the age of five-six months needs to be toileted five to six times a day and they need multiple mealtimes such as 3-4.

5. CeeCeeRed

CeeCeeRed Member

Okay, you'll have to bear with me. I've been trying to read as much as I can about corgis and we are still new to the puppy ownership (our first family dog, though we grew up with dogs, this will be the first as a couple).
    I saw listed many many times 8 weeks was acceptable to bring a puppy home, though I did see some breeders wait til 10 due to their size. So the proper age advisementis something I missed.

The breeder also had them registered with the CKC. I've seen mixed reviews about the continental and since tbeynare from Indiana i doubt it's Canadian. We have no interest in breeding or showing our puppy so is this an ok club to be registered at?

I will also be asking for pictures of mom and dad. Tbey are 3 hours away so Haven't been able to meet them with. We have been assured that we can whem we go.

6. Michael Romanos

Eight weeks is acceptable but both the puppy and the new owner are better off waiting a week or so longer. In the meantime a puppy between 7-10 weeks should be subjected by the breeder to seeing new environments. interacting with people, strange noises and sights and car rides as a build-up to leaving with a new owner. You can simply ask the breeder to hold onto your pup for another several days or so and ask her/him to give the pup some new experiences he is likely to encounter in the outside world.

Fletcher's breeder got the puppy use to be taken on a leash, being groomed, driven in a car, and some basic training. Fletcher is a real handful and full of energy and play (thank goodness because I don't want my Corgis to be anything less).

Im your circumstances registering or not is unimportant but the facts remain about inherited health conditions in Corgis and registering has nothing to do with this. Ask the breeder about the three-four inherited conditions of Pems and whether any exist in the parentage of your pup. Uncertified, the breeder can say anything but she/he might be honest.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  7. CeeCeeRed

CeeCeeRed Member

Well I can say that we haven't gone about selecting a puppy the way many are recomending, unfortunatly we decided then began reading.

I was reading material prior to contacting a breeder, but about corgis in general, not puppies specifically.

I have been in contact with the breeder and an individual who bought a puppy from them at the end of last year. I've seen only good reviews and the previous buyer had nothing but good things to say about them and the property, which I stalked on google and got a good above image of.

I hear a lot about clicker training which we plan to do, so I have a lot of work the first few days to get him started.

Still reading a lot though and preparing ourselves as much as we unintentionally alowed ourselves.

8. Michael Romanos

I would not be into clicker training at such an early age. I did some clicker training with Taylor when we were hard at competing in agility. The clicker simply reinforces what you are trying to get your Corgi to do- it doesn't work with every situation and not with every dog.